Vincennes, Indiana

tamias6

Even though I call Michigan home, my family and I have always made it a point to make a biannual trip to the historic and charming city of Vincennes to visit my grandparents. However in March of this year my grandmother past away most unexpectedly. So I've put together this photo montage of the city she lived all of her life in as a tribute to her memory.

Enjoy...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vincennes is a little french town, its about 273 I think, it was a french town for awhile, and there is alot of french decent(for Indiana) in the area. Its quite remarkable. Alot of the structures in the old french section are from the early 19th century. It has many old french graves in the cathedral grave yard

Very nicely-done tribute.

Vincennes has a lot of history and a lot of beauty. The George Rogers Clark Memorial is imposing and sits in a fine park near the Basilica, and not far away are Grouseland, home of William Henry Harrison, and a number of buildings of importance in Indiana history. It's a lot more than one might expect in a fairly small city.

just amagining that in the oldest part, french people walked around in 18th century gowns and breeches, either trading, talking, working, etc. Its amazing, to know where the old cathedral is, is where at one point, the french settlers went and

had their community meetings, religiouse gatherings, etc, and to know so many rest right next to the cathedral in the cemetery is ever so amazing! Vincennes plays a very important role in early Indiana history, them being the first europeans here, they still have left influences on the vincennes area.

Archived