A Pittsburgh Gallery

Flash

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up, I would have never noticed.

I have more pictures of Pittsburgh than I do of Raleigh, but its starting to even out since I'm here in Raleigh. But yeah we definately need to get some more PItt forumers on here.

Hey Flash, welcome and nice page, I too am a photographer of the three rivers. I and DBR96 both joined a week or two ago from the 'burgh. I pushed for a section on the Steel City, but I also wanted it to have a wider audience then just Pittsburgh, that way we can sorta "lead" them to our forum in some ways, also Cleveland and Pittsburgh (as well as Cincinnati sometimes) share many of the same issues, strenghts and weaknesses, Louisville is much different but has recently shown a kinship to Pittsburgh (Consolidation, economic woes, old economy, a river city with great views and quaint attractions). In my dream the whole board becomes a Pittsburgh board LOL, but I'll settle for lots of interesting discussions about my hometown. Looking forward to your contributions. ;)

Those are some awesome photos, Flash!

I want to make a similar website for my Detroit photos, but because I'm entering college in only four months, I don't exactly have the money for such a project right now. It is on my list of long term projects...maybe when I am done with college & have an actual job. LOL.

Thanks guys. I've noticed user DBR96 been to my page here as evidence of a couple postings.

Anyway, PghUSA, do you have any of your pictures posted anywhere? I'd be interested in looking.

Louisville is similar in that is already has the blue print for a city-county merger. However, I don't think Pittsburgh belongs in a group with it, Cincinnati or Cleveland. To me, it doesn't fit. Cincinnati has a similar looking terrain, but its definitely Midwest (basically Ohio is the beginning of the Midwest in my book). And Cleveland, well... its Cleveland. :blink:

In instances where Pittsburgh is categorized in this region, it just seems misrepresented. If there was a general Northeast section, thats where I feel Pittsburgh should go.

I'll be coming home in the mid May for a week, so I should have some new Pittsburgh pics around then.

Yeah, monsoon, a Pennsylvania section or something similar would be more appropriate. Of course I don't know that there's enough representation for that either. I'm not saying that Pittsburgh, at this point, should have its own category- seeing as there appears to be only three or four forumers relative to it, but I think it sould be categorized differently than it is now. I'm not even sure if PghUSA or anyone else sees it that way, but I think being grouped in with the cities it is now, its based on an similarity overlap that is of a minority.

I'll have to see if there's anyone else that would support a PA section, as I'm still getting used to UrbanPlanet. You would know better than I do. But a PA section definately sounds good. :)

flash,

love that gallery, here is mine not as good as yours though I don't think.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex...4&a=31135035&f=

if that doesn't work my e-mail is [email protected] (but don't send mail there I hardly check on that one).

As far as Pittsburgh as its own city, I'd love to see that but first I want to promote interest in it, by grouping it together I just thought more people would check it out some (brand marketing).

As far as a Pennsylvania forum, to be honest I do bristle at that, Philly is always in competition with the 'burgh for state funds, USAirways hubs, Southwest Hubs, HQ for Citizens Financial in the state (even though the Mellon Branch System had Pittsburgh HQ) etc. (much much more then Cleveland).

Demographically speaking Pittsburgh is as close to Philly as Buffalo is to NYC. In the east there is the I-95 corridor people and then the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley people, Pittsburgh has the same blue collar and immigrant heritage as Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee.

Just my two cents, it really isn't relevant though if we do have lots of Traffic to the 'burgh forum, I am in full agreement with you that our town should have its own, but just thought starting out small as a success would be better then big and little traffic.

I would like to ask one favor, I think the "Freedom's Arsenal or Liberty's Arsenal" name should stick, I really think that its a great metaphor for a city that isn't steel anymore but close in silicone to the valley, in education and medicine as Boston and Chicago, it is a city that is just as much a success blue-collar as financial and medical it is someplace in between, really IMHO the GREATEST combination of both! The only all encompasing yet simple motto is freedom's arsenal (from the largest night-vision manufactuer, to medical advances, to the arts and capitialism that is the fuel for our fight for freedom everywhere).

One last thing flash, I was wondering since your site is the best IMO you could post my pics there just © my name. Kinda like a co-op let me know ok.

I actually prefer Pittsburgh in an "Ohio Valley" forum than in a Pennsylvania forum. I think that's much more interesting.

By the way........ I'm a regular over at skyscraperpage... just checking this out a bit... I recognize WestinghouseToaster and DBR from Pittsburgh Talk at the Trib website... (I've only posted there once as ILuvPittsburgh but I read it all the time)...

anyways....... I dont live in Pittsburgh, but I wish I did.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Flash, I've been to your gallery before, but I must say that I am always impressed with your work, no matter how many times I see your photos. Pittsburgh has it all but it is kind of under-represented. However, your photos definitely do justice to the city's great urban fabric. Keep up the great work.

PghUSA, I liked your pictures, too. Great work, indeed!!!

Archived