Life in Fishers

RestedTraveler

I'm curious... what's life like in Fishers? Does anybody have any first-hand or working knowledge of it? I'll be moving up there just as soon as I get my house sold, so I'm thinking about what life may be like in Fishers. Are there any concerns? Fishers seems to me to be the stereotypical conversion of productive farm land into suburban sprawl, but it also seems to be fairly well planned.

One thing my wife is wanting to move away from in South Carolina (we live in Greenville, SC, but I'm currently in Florida) is the thick southern accent which our kids appear to be developing, so I found the bit in the "Is Indianapolis Underrated?" thread about the "southern accents" in Indy pretty funny. It looks like the demographics suit us and the schools appear to be excellent, so I think we'd fit right in. We're a bit liberal (socially liberal and fiscally conservative - you could call us libertarian, I suppose, if you really want to label it).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious... what's life like in Fishers? Does anybody have any first-hand or working knowledge of it? I'll be moving up there just as soon as I get my house sold, so I'm thinking about what life may be like in Fishers. Are there any concerns? Fishers seems to me to be the stereotypical conversion of productive farm land into suburban sprawl, but it also seems to be fairly well planned.

One thing my wife is wanting to move away from in South Carolina (we live in Greenville, SC, but I'm currently in Florida) is the thick southern accent which our kids appear to be developing, so I found the bit in the "Is Indianapolis Underrated?" thread about the "southern accents" in Indy pretty funny. It looks like the demographics suit us and the schools appear to be excellent, so I think we'd fit right in. We're a bit liberal (socially liberal and fiscally conservative - you could call us libertarian, I suppose, if you really want to label it).

If you are going to be working downtown INDY, the commuting traffic is killer. Although in recent years they have widened 69/465 about as much as they can. FISHER's is the primary area that screams LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT.

Great community - you nailed it. 20 years ago someone living in Fishers it was boondocks outside of affluent Castleton area. Now it is upper middle class to affluent bedroom community that has exploded in the last decade. I'm sure you will really like it.

GO COLTS:)

• 2 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree about the politics. Marion County (which includes Indianapolis and four suburban cities, some townships, and a few still-incorporated towns) is pretty solidly Democratic, and increasingly liberal. The suburban counties around Marion County are all hyper-Republican, about as "red" as red can be. If you are liberal, you probably will not like the suburban counties.

Archived