A world on Warren Ave

wolverine

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...9/1025/FEATURES

This is a very interesting article about one of the Detroit areas more dynamic streets.

I have actually driven Warren Ave for about 3/5 of its total length from Woodward Ave in Detroit to Ann Arbor. If you have some time and are looking to explore the area a bit more, I recommend this route.

The end of the article mentions the problem with the encroachment of sprawl upon this area. I have to admit it's pretty sad because the rural areas outside of Ann Arbor are quite beautiful. It's okay for a few new houses to go up, but the construction of large scale developments has me a bit worried.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say that I've ever been on Warren outside of Detroit, but I am well versed in the street's entire length throughout Detroit. Last semester we did a neighborhood revitalization/urban planning project centered on E. Warren Ave., and W. Warren Ave. is always a topic of conversation in our neighborhood revitalization meetings.

• 8 months later...

Yes Warren Avenue a very interesting long road not only in Detroit but also far out past the metropolis into the rural areas (for now) in Washtenaw County. Warren is one of many such long unique roads in the Detroit even Michigan area. others I can think of are. The Mile Roads E/W ones! Van Dyke, Gratiot, Grand River, Jefferson, Fort, Telegraph, and Woodward of course. Other unique streets like the Blvd, and Outer Dr all make the geography of Detroit streets interesting

The one thing I hate about Warren Ave is that you have to jog over to Forest Ave and then come back to Warren Ave if you want to go east through Midtown. It wouldn't be so bad if Forest Ave wasn't cut in half by the DMC, but it is annoying considering the "one way" length of Warren only stretches a few blocks between Trumbull and 14th St.

I don't think traffic is so high that such a configuration is justified. You could easily have two lanes in each direction. The only difference is that people in Woodbridge wouldn't be able to park on Warren Ave anymore.

Archived