The Barron of Bad Backsides

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so... Furman's done many other buildings in CLT, not all hi rise, with at least 4 attractive sides. The few hi-rises he has done definitely add some unique architectural flavor to the city, which is appreciated by many. I'm not sure the general 'audience' for his architectural cares too much about the backs of his buildings.

As rev said, I can't see this being on the minds of 99.9% of Charlotteans not on this forum. We are pretty much just a collection of people who care. I mean, I may be wrong, but I have never heard these towers come up in normal table conversation, then again I don't live in uptown so maybe people there do. Regardless, Furman is doing a good job of putting his promises on the ground and into the air the way he promised. Until that trend stops, I can't imagine city counsel not supporting his land bids.

I agree with the sentiment that most people generally won't care one way or another. It's not like the Arlington where you have a building with pink glass. That is something that the average person will notice and will probably find odd or even ugly.

I doubt you'll overhear people at a Bobcats game talking about how disappointed they are about the backside of TradeMark. If you heard such a conversation, you're probably listening to a UPer!

Yeah, I would say it would be a little extreme to say he has hurt his reputation beyond repair...He's only put 2 high rises up with a third coming, regardless of the appearance it serves its function. I would say it is quite the opposite, actually, that his reputation in Charlotte is of a developer that actually builds what he says he will build in a relatively short time.

The backside of Trademark's top is so flat, it looks as though a gargantuan chain saw simply cut the building in half. Like the tower was actually going higher and higher, but was cut into by a chain saw. Very awkward. Not befitting Charlotte's skyline.

Archived