The River Condos

AsheVid

While driving home today I noticed that a sign has gone up on Riverside advertising the River Condos.

I had noticed changes happening at this nondescript warehouse site alongside the River, but wasn't sure what was in store for the property.

The website has some floor plans, and a single rendering of the outside of the building. I'm particularly excited about the possiblity for a new riverside park, and boat launch area.

There have been a few articles in the AC-T lately about the River District, and how revitalizing the area could make it the jewel of Asheville. This site is a little farther north, (just past Pearson Bridge Road) but still close to downtown and able to make an impact on the local vibe.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Nice find.

This is just north of Pearson Bridge Rd? Interesting choice of location.

That part of the river really is nothing but a mix of industrial warehouses, junkyards, and brownfields. But still, it's close to UNCA and Richmond Hill (not only the inn, but the city park that's under construction too) so I can understand the plan.

Can't tell from a map exactly where this will go (no site plans) but it looks to me like the old Craggy Mountain Railroad (currently owned by Norfolk Southern) goes right through this place's backyard. That's interesting, I suppose, if nothing else. The rails only serve one plant (Silverline - a PVC pipe manufacturer, at the old Ethan Allen plant near Woodfin Avenue) so it's not like more than a couple trains a week roll up and down the east bank of the FBR. I can't imagine it being a quality of life issue for folks living here.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the C-T about this project today.

Turns out the reason this project is located where it is, is that it's the furthest south parcel that's in the town of Woodfin. Woodfin has less regulations and red tape targeted at development.

The Wilma-dykeman Riverway plan technically covers the entire area south of Broadway, so this falls within that area.

I also wonder whether this project will be expected to build any sidewalks, greenways, etc. I guess I'd just like to see a site plan.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was out looking for signs of construction along Broadway, I noticed that the building that was sitting on the site of the new River Condos had been knocked down.

I drove this street last week and there was a building there! It's nice to see something happening quickly for a change. One of my coworkers called and inquired about getting a unit there and found out it was already 70% sold.

Here's a photo of the demolition pile:

River Condos coming soon!

• 2 years later...

Archived