Michigan-Washington intersection will get fountain, traffic circle

RustTown

This has been in planning for a few years, now, with some major planning going on last year, but we finally get the first look at the renovation of the "Four Corners" in downtown Lansing. This will aslo include the taking out the last two blocks of the North Washington Square Pedestrian Mall that have cut off the campus of LCC in a strange way, for decades, now.

I'm really liking the grennery, which is lacking in Lansing's streetscapes in most of the heavily traveled areas.

Michigan-Washington intersection will get fountain, traffic circle

Say goodbye to the drab paved path that leads from the Grand River to the state Capitol.

City officials are laying out plans for a greener Michigan Avenue - complete with a fountain in the middle of a new traffic circle - to frame downtown's landmark dome.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pb...D=2007702210350

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is all part of Lansing's sewer seperation project, so it's been timed to go along with it. This will also include the installation of rain gardens and a new streetscape on East Michigan Avenue from the Capitol all the way to Pennsylvania Avenue at Sparraw's Hospital complex.

Here's an aerial of North Washington Square. In this photo, take out the two bottom blocks of the yellow square to see what's being opened back up.

222506709_e0ed7d050b_o.jpg

Photos of the ped mall which serves absolutely no more purpose, anymore, now that this entire stretch of Washington has no retail.

222308170_836f892dca_o.jpg

222308174_3cb13b9182_o.jpg

"Four Corners" by our very own Sparky (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkys_joint/)

198537643_36e6102102_o.jpg

198533181_6b20f35dfc_o.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never liked the layout of that intersection, especially how it was back before the rebuild of Washington. I'm not expert, but it seems like that a very odd location for a traffic circle, not to mention that a fountain in the middle would surely be a distraction to drivers.

Is there a rendering or something relating to these rain gardens? I'm still confused about what exactly these things are and why we should invest in them.

I've never liked the layout of that intersection, especially how it was back before the rebuild of Washington. I'm not expert, but it seems like that a very odd location for a traffic circle, not to mention that a fountain in the middle would surely be a distraction to drivers.

Is there a rendering or something relating to these rain gardens? I'm still confused about what exactly these things are and why we should invest in them.

Yes, in fact, this seems like an excellent place for a traffice circle, though, I've heard the majority of people objecting to it simply because most people don't like traffic circles and/or simply don't like change. I'm confused as to why everyone hates them so much, wherever they are proposed.

People don't seem to know how to use the four way stop, ever, so it's not like this is going to cause more accidents. As the mayor said, unless Lansingites are different than people in every other part of the country, then they should know (or will learn) how to use a traffic circle.

My issue is not so much with the circle, but with a fountain in the middle. I can just see people being distracted by it and getting in accidents, or sliding through the intersection and going right into the fountain. The new circles in the neighborhoods are almost like a contest for people to see how fast they can go without losing control. The one on Boston Blvd in the Colonial Village neighborhood has been the scene of this on several occasions.

My issue is not so much with the circle, but with a fountain in the middle. I can just see people being distracted by it and getting in accidents, or sliding through the intersection and going right into the fountain. The new circles in the neighborhoods are almost like a contest for people to see how fast they can go without losing control. The one on Boston Blvd in the Colonial Village neighborhood has been the scene of this on several occasions.

• 2 months later...

Opening up this section of Washington Ave is long overdue. I don't know what they hoped to accomplish by closing it in the first place. I'm in favor of the traffic circle and fountain. As long as they don't turn the fountain off at night I intend to get some great shots when the project is complete and the landscaping matured.

Archived