Perani Arena

dtown

I went by Perani Arena today, and couldnt help but notice how dated it looks. Now, i havent been inside it in a few years, so i cant say anything about the interior.

First off, who owns the arena? I know Perani's doesnt, they just have naming rights.

Also, do you ever think they will build a new arena in Flint? I think a nice new arena would do wonders for downtown Flint if it were place somewhere down there.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it is. My school team plays hockey there, i should go and take some pics soon, maybe i will.

I drove by it today, it looks so dated. I wish they would at least give it a new paint job, its faded out quite a bit, and has rust on the steel on the back.

A shame it doesn't have the appearance of Saginaw's Civic Center. Although it was built in the 70's the building doesn't look all that dated because it was built of typical red brick infill in a concrete frame. Plus it's received a lot of upgrades with a new entrance. But the IMA was built kind of ugly and IMO would need a complete recladding to look up to date. The inside isn't so bad though.

Yeah, i hate the facade. The Lapeer Rd side is especially bad, its got the recieving dock for trucks, so its especially neglected. I think the facade is like concrete panels or something.

From pictures ive seen, Saginaw Civic Center is very nice. Plus, the Spirit have Stephen Colbert as their mascot, lol.

I believe Saginaw's Civic Center's exterior cladding was a gesture in materiality of the city's rich collection of brick and limestone buildings (there were way more downtown when this was constructed). Of course they chose red brick and CONCRETE. But still, in many ways its timeless. My firm did the renovation on it. We added a lot more glass, especially when we built that two story rotunda. It's hard to imagine that the center was at one time in jeopardy of closing down and being demolished. Now the center is a wonderful asset to the region. All it took was some better management.

Thats why I was confused, because from what I remember it looked kind of small, so I wasn't sure how the Generals could play there, but I know why now. I looked it up and it looks like its just an ice rink and mostly hosts pee-wee, bantam and juniors teams.

Archived