The Avenue of Michigan may replace Mich Avenue

RustTown

What does everyone think of this idea? I'm one of the few, I find, but I actually think a new name would be an excellent marketing tool for East Michigan Avenue, and with the new rain gardens and improvements, I think should come a new name. This is nothing new, and people seem just as resistent to change as they ever were (i.e. proposed in the mid 90's), but I think the new name sounds more cosmopolitan and forward-thinking:

Old route may get new name in Lansing: The Avenue of Michigan may replace Mich. Ave.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...002/CONTACTUS01

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, Lmich, usually I understand your reasoning, even if I don't agree with you, but this name change seems silly. In order to be The Avenue of Michigan, it should relate to the state. Michigan Ave. in Detroit and Southern Michigan would be an avenue of Michigan, as would Grand River and Dixie Hwy. When I lived off E Michigan Ave., it was considered pretty sleazy, though it has improved. It still is not a street worthy to claim that it is THE Avenue of Michigan!

If any city should have THE Avenue of Michigan it should be Michigan's capital city, IMO. Again, I think it's a forward-looking name to get the street to live up to that name. Grand Avenue isn't all that Grand, either, nor was it ever, but does that mean we should call it No-So-Grand Avenue? I think the actual state of the street is irrelevant in a naming.

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought I'd post it because I like hearing other's ideas. You shouldn't feel compelled to agree with me. :)

Personally I think what makes a street "marketable" is not its name, its whats there... there are plenty of 5th avenues and Rodeo drives in the world, but why do those two make us think of New York and LA respectively? Because of what is on them... I am all for support of Michigan Ave., beautify it a bit, fix the traffic and parking issues, support the good businesses, get some uniformity to the building design... and then the street will truly be known as "the" Avenue of Michigan. Changing the name does nothing to actually improve the street, all it does is change its name. You could call it "willie wonka's candied road to the gingerbread house" but unless you actually do something substantial to make it a more enjoyable place to do commerce and spend free time, a name is just a name.

Just to make it clear, in case I haven't been, I've never argued a name change will magically and automatically change, for the better, an area. I do, however, believe that a name change can be an integral part of transforming an area. This can be seen, readily, in Old Town. Up until it was branded as Old Town, western Northtown, was a pretty decrepit area. Due to a name change, and the organization of a commercial district to capture local, state, and national grants and such, the area made a pretty dramatic change (still has a LONG way to go). I think a large part of Lansing's problems with redevelopment stem from the fact that everything is thrown at the city, and we wait to see what sticks, without regard to the character of specific areas. Everything is so disjointed and tackled as a "one size fits all" problem instead of seeing what best fits in specific areas of the city.

Again, I'm hardly arguing a name change can solely or mostly fix the ills of an area, but I think it can definitely be part of helping revitalize and area.

The name change in Old Town was done in conjunction with a number of other things, the name change was essentially a marketing ploy. Michigan Ave runs through several areas, most notebly Downtown and the Stadium District, Michigan Ave doesn't need to be marketed the areas in runs through maybe, but not the street itself.

Archived