General Indiana Discussion

MJLO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mitch has announced that he will seek another term.

I'm more disposed to support Democrats because of my beliefs as a social liberal. That said, I think there's plenty of room to bring sound business practices into public administration in place of political expediency.

Mitch has done some things that I mostly support, like privatizing the toll road; I think that in order to restore balanced transportation that includes non-private-auto options, it's important to put limited-access highways on more of a user-pays basis, and I'd like to see a toll system, possibly privatized, on the interstate highway system.

Some of the other things he's done, like unilaterally closing small-town license branches without community input, seem heavy-handed and insensitive to the needs of a lot of the older citizens in those towns. I am concerned about the ascendancy of Republican-aligned evangelical Christian theocracy over the past few years, of which the "In God We Trust" license plate is the latest manifestation.

I don't think he's been a particularly bad governor, and I'm waiting to see who the Democrats offer as an alternative.

^ I really haven't been to fond of Mitch's handling of the state. He has a very heavy handed leadership style that seems a little out of place for a Governor without a mandate to implement the untested and IMO drastic privatization plans as he has pushed throughout his term. I don't really remember him campaigning on privitization, yet thats been basically his solution to the all the state's problems, and thus far with very mixed, if not poor, results from what I read.

I think the Democratic House has been a great offset to Governor Daniels, sadly it ony has a one seat majority, so real push back is hard. I don't have a problem with Indiana Republicans, Sen. Lugar is great for example - as are members of the Legislature, but I share rob's concern that the state Republican apparatus is aligning increasingly away from the old school populist Republicanism the state is rooted in and towards the national party inclination of a religous-right/corporate party whose interests may not always lie with sound public policy that benefits all Hoosiers.

Here is a link to an Louisville Courier-Journal Article on the Dem candidates thus far:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...STS07/706170481

The Dem candidate from Indy Jim Schellinger seems interesting to me. Young and Thompson seem like push overs even for Mitch, who is definately in a position to be beat by a strong Dem challenger. Tim Roemer I think would be a great candidate if he ran, but he may be waiting for Lugar to retire or for an open seat run, or be done all together. Anybody know?

^ I really haven't been to fond of Mitch's handling of the state. He has a very heavy handed leadership style that seems a little out of place for a Governor without a mandate to implement the untested and IMO drastic privatization plans as he has pushed throughout his term. I don't really remember him campaigning on privitization, yet thats been basically his solution to the all the state's problems, and thus far with very mixed, if not poor, results from what I read.

I think the Democratic House has been a great offset to Governor Daniels, sadly it ony has a one seat majority, so real push back is hard. I don't have a problem with Indiana Republicans, Sen. Lugar is great for example - as are members of the Legislature, but I share rob's concern that the state Republican apparatus is aligning increasingly away from the old school populist Republicanism the state is rooted in and towards the national party inclination of a religous-right/corporate party whose interests may not always lie with sound public policy that benefits all Hoosiers.

Here is a link to an Louisville Courier-Journal Article on the Dem candidates thus far:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...STS07/706170481

The Dem candidate from Indy Jim Schellinger seems interesting to me. Young and Thompson seem like push overs even for Mitch, who is definately in a position to be beat by a strong Dem challenger. Tim Roemer I think would be a great candidate if he ran, but he may be waiting for Lugar to retire or for an open seat run, or be done all together. Anybody know?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i'm heading up to indianapolis with my girlfriend on friday, january 4th to see a pacers game. we're planning on spending the day in indianapolis. just wondered if anyone had some suggestions on what would be the best things to do? we'd like to stay in the downtown area. is there anywhere we can park for free and just walk around all day? we're both interested in museums, parks, eclectic shops and such. any help would be great. also, any cool places to eat? thanks...

Edited by bw87a

i'm heading up to indianapolis with my girlfriend on friday, january 4th to see a pacers game. we're planning on spending the day in indianapolis. just wondered if anyone had some suggestions on what would be the best things to do? we'd like to stay in the downtown area. is there anywhere we can park for free and just walk around all day? we're both interested in museums, parks, eclectic shops and such. any help would be great. also, any cool places to eat? thanks...

• 3 months later...

omg what's going on in Indiana, it has been four months since anything was posted. Does this mean that will all of it's cities that there's nothing to talk about in IN? I don't beleive it, can somebody help me out here.

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky has had a similar falling off, both are states that have active established communities on other boards, it may just be those boards at this time continue to be the preferred venues. Basically all it would take would be 3 or 4 dedicated forumers in either state to get things going, but until we find those dedicated folks it may be slow going as more passive forumers tend to fall off if regular discussion is not taking place and content is not being driven. It will happen though, we just have to be patient with folks discovering UP and finding it a furtile ground to discuss their views and news on local developments.

I'm from AR and was recently informed that you guys would be getting a Fresh Market there. We love the store here and are well aware of how selective the company is in terms of store location. Has anyone heard any information regarding the new store?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have probably been to over half the counties in the state, but the major cities and county seats I can recall off the top of my head are - Gary, Crown Point, Michigan City, Lafayette, South Bend, Elkhart, Indianapolis, Evansville, Terre Haute, Logansport, Monticello (went to Indiana Beach all the time as a kid), Winamac, Rensselaer, Rochester, Valparaiso, La Porte, Kentland, Newport, Williamsport, Fowler, Sullivan, Vincennes, Princeton, Nobelsville, Knox, LaGrange, Bloomington, New Albany, Anderson, Bedford, Kokomo, Richmond .........Quite a few more in southern and eastern Indiana I can not think of off the top of my head.

I have probably been to over half the counties in the state, but the major cities and county seats I can recall off the top of my head are - Gary, Crown Point, Michigan City, Lafayette, South Bend, Elkhart, Indianapolis, Evansville, Terre Haute, Logansport, Monticello (went to Indiana Beach all the time as a kid), Winamac, Rensselaer, Rochester, Valparaiso, La Porte, Kentland, Newport, Williamsport, Fowler, Sullivan, Vincennes, Princeton, Nobelsville, Knox, LaGrange, Bloomington, New Albany, Anderson, Bedford, Kokomo, Richmond .........Quite a few more in southern and eastern Indiana I can not think of off the top of my head.

Evansville is a nice and interesting city. It has a very nice downtown with a couple of mid-rise towers, but mainly low-rise buildings dominate. It has one of the more impressive courthouses in the state, but that's subjective, esp. in a state where it seems like every county has a pretty impressive stone courthouse of substantial architectural design. The city appears from what I read to have a pretty healthy economy, pretty fair city governance, and a impressive young and up-coming mayor.

Interesting side note: The city has the 3rd oldest baseball stadium in continuous use in the country, Bosse Field. The Evansville Otters of the independent Frontier League play there, which is not affiliated with MLB.