Hillsborough Hike

jumboman

From Players Retreat to East Village, stopping to get a drink at every place you can along the way.

This'll be my first year doing the Hike since I just turned 21 in the fall, its been tons of fun wandering around in the crowds before but it'll be way much more fun to actually do it.

Everyone says they'll "make it the whole way this year", but just cant do it,... but I think I'll make it the whole way this year.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an article on it: http://tinyurl.com/yycqjt

I don't think they had this when I was at NCSU. But then again, I spent a decent amount of time on Hillsborough Street all year long so I probably didn't even notice.

I was kinda thinking of eating at Porter's tonight....maybe I'll wait till tomorrow instead. I'm kinda old to be crammed into a bar with a bunch of college kids these days. :lol:

I think its impossible to complete unless you start really early. By 10:00, East Village has a line all the way out to the street. You'll be waiting a couple hours just to get in because most people inside decide to stay for the rest of the night. I think its more fun to grab a spot on EV's deck early and watch all the madness.

This has been going on a lot longer than ten years, but that is around the time non-fraternity students started joining in. The spring hike should be better since it is warmer and there are a lot more May graduates than December ones. Though after a few drinks, temperature really doesn't matter. Shots are prefered by the "sprinters" -- those who go more for the drinking than the socializing, since it results in fewer trips to the little boy's/girl's room.

They used to start as soon as bars opened, around 5 or so.

I was on Hillsborough Street for a few of the early ones, but only did my usual two bar hike -- Five O, then Comet. If it was half as crowded as during the hike from mid-August through early May, no one would be talking about roundabouts. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
This has been going on a lot longer than ten years, but that is around the time non-fraternity students started joining in. The spring hike should be better since it is warmer and there are a lot more May graduates than December ones. Though after a few drinks, temperature really doesn't matter. Shots are prefered by the "sprinters" -- those who go more for the drinking than the socializing, since it results in fewer trips to the little boy's/girl's room.

They used to start as soon as bars opened, around 5 or so.

I was on Hillsborough Street for a few of the early ones, but only did my usual two bar hike -- Five O, then Comet. If it was half as crowded as during the hike from mid-August through early May, no one would be talking about roundabouts. Sigh.

Archived