Trae's Transit Proposal

Trae

New Freeways

Commuter Rail Lines

map_regional-atlanta2.jpg

With this proposal, I wish to put a freeway to Peachtree City and release traffic off of the state and U.S. highways. Then, create a second loop around Atlanta. It is funny that Atlanta doesn't have one already. Add commuter lines out to the suburbs, too. Put a commuter line to Stone Mountain Park. That would help that area.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suburban loop freeways are sprawl enablers. They should not be built unless you want an a quantum leap in the number of low density homes in that part of GA. In 50 years the areas around that super loop road it would be a nightmare and most likely an unsustainable mess in terms of energy, water and resource usage, and pollution would skyrocket.

I do agree with the construction of the CR lines.

Trea, don't expect any job offers from GDOT in your mailbox...

The "Outer Loop" as it was originally called was DOA with the residents of Atlanta. It then morphed into the Northern Arc which would have connected I-75 with I-85 about 20 miles north of the existing perimeter. That too was eventually killed. I think it is safe to say that no new limited access highways will be built in the Atlanta area in the near future (possibly ever). That is not to say that the Georgia Department of Highways won't propose widening existing highways (like 23 lanes on I-75 through Cobb County).

Commuter rail also seems to be a non-starter in this area as well. Mostly because the bumpkins that run the state legislator would rather stop banging their *insert animal here* then to even look like they are helping Atlanta. I don't know what the political environment in Texas is like, but in Georgia, Atlanta is seen as the anti-christ by everyone south of the airport.

So, to sum up...there is less then a snowballs chance in hell that anything you have proposed/imagined will EVER get built.

PS...what you have marked as Atlanta is actually called Perimeter Center, downtown Atlanta is South of Buckhead, not North.

I didn't mark that, but anyway, I didn't know that about Georgia. I thought to most people (like my cousins who moved to north Atlanta from Macon), was that Atlanta was the be all, end all city in Georgia to everyone. I thought that everyone wanted to eventually live in Atlanta in Georgia (not everyone, but a lot of people). I guess I was wrong.

My freeway dreams are fantasy, but I am serious about the commuter lines. Atlanta needs more of them. How hard would it be to put down some commuter lines, rather than to wide I-75?

Sorry Trae, not the best plan & you should refresh yourself more with Atlanta's geography & development patterns a bit more.

Regarding commuter rail lines - any future line will be built where an existing rail ROW is already in existence. As for new freeways - I think the GA DOT realizes freeway construction is over for the Atlanta urban core. Perhaps in the exurban reaches some freeways may be built - but highly unlikely any will be built in present day Atlanta metro (just massive freeway widening).

Yeah, I have probably gone over some mountains and extreme hills. I keep forgeting everything is not flat like most of Houston :). For the commuter lines I put on there in my first post, they follow existing ROW's (most of them, some curve off of the ROW).

Archived