Mayoral election to be held next year

TheGerbil

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06286/729694-53.stm

It has been decided that an election will be held next year (primary in May and general in November) for a mayor to finish the current term. Whoever wins would take office immediately and server until 2009.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I would like to see Ravenstahl have more of a chance to prove himself. I have my doubts about whether he can win, simply because of his age. On the other hand this may be the fairest way to do it.

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is basically no precedence in our city's history to require a new election in this situation. It's just bs because if it was someone else other than Ravenstahl, they wouldn't be bothering with this. Some power brokers are basically saying he's not one of us, the old guard, so we'll just hold an election to try to vote him out and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

While the protocol is unclear, there is some bowing to the good ole boys' network. However, I have no problem letting the voters decide. Ravenstahl should have an advantage holding office until the election. I'll be watching to see what the old guard does to stain Ravenstahl's name. Ravenstahl will win if he can find some backers on the inside.

Let Ravenstahl convince the voters he's the guy for the job.

I don't know much about Pittsburgh politics, but the storyline isn't difficult to figure out. Some great political satire here:

On the Next Episode of the City of Pittsburgh...

I was born and raised in Erie, PA, so I know a thing or two about political machines and corrupt politics. But I've also lived enough places to realize that such stories are common enough. Rare is the politician who can fix things. Voting is a nice performance, but that's not where the power is.

I'm all for letting the voters decide. But I am uneasy about this because I do believe that if he were someone else, no one would have pushed for an election next year. I think the good ole boys are afraid to let this youngun stick around too long.

Perhaps he isn't the best guy for the job anyway; it's too soon to tell. But it seems unlikely that his opponant will be anything other than a cog from the party machine.

Well, we'll see what happens, I guess.

My impression was that he got to be counsil president because of a stalemate between rival power brokers in the council. It seems like the involved parties thought there was less risk in trying to manipulate a young council president than to chance losing outright to their opponents.

It should have been a lesson to them that if they play with fire, they're liable to get burnt. Instead, they are trying to manipulate the system again to undo the consequences of their prior vote and gain more power for themselves.

Everybody knows that Ravenstahl is young and lacks the financial and campaign resources to stand a fair chance in a mayoral election. So it should be no suprise that the people who elected him council president as a compromise in a power-grab will now be the same people who are orchestrating a new election. At the end of the day, Ravenstahl is still an elected official, he was never an appointee or anything like that. It's not exactly fair to try to run him out like this.

Ravensthal is definitly alligned with old boy network, please dont be fooled by his age. He might be 26 but in terms of policies he might as well be 60, he really brings no new progressive ideas to the table. I will be voting for Peduto provided he runs. The only problem with Peduto is that he is often maligned in City Council because he goes against all the good ol boy undertakings. This makes it difficult to get anything passed. I will be behind him though

Archived