The population boom in the Triangle

willrusso

but the truth is there is NOTHING to DO in Durham they don't have a GLENWOOD SOUTH or a MIDTOWN everybody I know who lives in Durham and I know tons of people who are my friends come to Raleigh for all there fun and partying or whatever you want to call it,

No, there is no GLENWOOD SOUTH in Durham, but there is the Brightleaf District where you can hit several bars all within spitting distance of one another and never pay a cover. It's not far from Jo & Joes (consistently ranked among the Triangle's best pubs) or The Carolina Theatre either.

Nothing to do? Well today I'm going over to the farmer's market to get some fresh squash, then taking my dog for a run over at the Duke cross country trail. Later on I've got two friends who both live in Raleigh coming out to Durham (gasp!) for Mexican followed by a ballgame. Sounds like a pretty nice little Saturday.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Population of the Largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and

Metropolitan Combined Statistical Areas

July 1, 2005

Release date June 2006

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC 2,120,745

Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC 1,509,560

Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC 1,490,886

It will be pretty cool to have two metros with over 2M by 2015 and Triad right up the rear at probably 1.75 M

Just Florida and Texas can boast 2 metros with 2M people. And they have population of more than 15M each.

all of this "there is nothing to do in Raleigh or Durham" has gotta stop. this ain't a city vs. city thread. both places have things to do, and both places don't have things to do, making the word "things" extremely vague and confusing. its all subjective to the resident of the Triangle. this thread is meant to be a display of what is to come for Raleigh-Cary, and moreso the Triangle. each city will face larger problems in the future, and this thread needs to be a place where we can discuss those said problems.

now that that is over, man 2 mil. in about ten years, that will be something else, considering that the metro wasn't even at 1 mil in 1990. just the thought of wake county apporaching 1 mil is enough of a shocker, that now that the city has its own metro that will be approaching a million is crazy.

California, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have two or more metros of over 2million too.

I would imagine he was referring to the Southeast U.S.

Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA consist of Durham, Orange, Franklin, Chatham, Johnston, Person and Harnett counties.

Lets not forget that densely populated area called Wake

No, there is no GLENWOOD SOUTH in Durham, but there is the Brightleaf District where you can hit several bars all within spitting distance of one another and never pay a cover. It's not far from Jo & Joes (consistently ranked among the Triangle's best pubs) or The Carolina Theatre either.

Nothing to do? Well today I'm going over to the farmer's market to get some fresh squash, then taking my dog for a run over at the Duke cross country trail. Later on I've got two friends who both live in Raleigh coming out to Durham (gasp!) for Mexican followed by a ballgame. Sounds like a pretty nice little Saturday.

Am going to have to checkout Brightleaf District, and I must admit Durham has the best restaurants and a host of other things like a great downtown ballpark, I shouldn't have made that statement that's there's nothing to do in Durham,I should have stated that there's just more to do in Raleigh and Raleigh has alot more nightclubs for someone like me. :)

So, what are the hot clubs in Raleigh right now? Specifically, are there any gay or mixed clubs down there that play hip hop. I was shocked to visit Legends last spring and find out they are still playing 1995-era techno music. No reggaeton, no hip hop, and the pop they played had that annoying techno beat mixed in. I was embarassed because I brought my DC friends down with me.

Am going to have to checkout Brightleaf District, and I must admit Durham has the best restaurants and a host of other things like a great downtown ballpark, I shouldn't have made that statement that's there's nothing to do in Durham,I should have stated that there's just more to do in Raleigh and Raleigh has alot more nightclubs for someone like me. :)

It's true, given the size of Raleigh compared to Durham that there's naturally more to do. And there's more to do in San Francisco than in Raleigh, and more to do in New York than San Francisco. It's all relative to size.

I'm just out to disspell some of the misconceptions surrounding the Bull City. I said it myself just this afternoon, that Durham's got a long way to go (even though there are limitless dining options).

Someone said here earlier with Raleigh and Durham, each one has what the other one needs. Raleigh could use some of Durham's (now very cliche) "grit," diversity, "hipness" and historic architecture perhaps, and Durham could use Raleigh's speed of growth and development, better reputation, and ability to attract business. If only Raleigh-Durham were one city like all the out-of-towners think, and not a region of sprawlsville and competing municipalities. :thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of City Limits in Raleigh. Nothing like college girls in cowboy boots. :D

The Triangle should start planning now for a NFL team!

Thank the Panthers for taking the 'Carolina' name, since a Triangle based team would not draw from South Cackalaky. Taking a queue from Soccer.... Lets prepare for the Triangle United.

Do you think that the DBAP could be renovated to hold an MLB team. Or MLS

Maybe a downtown stadium in Raleigh will finally come that way with us surpassing 2M in ten years.

So, what are the hot clubs in Raleigh right now? Specifically, are there any gay or mixed clubs down there that play hip hop. I was shocked to visit Legends last spring and find out they are still playing 1995-era techno music. No reggaeton, no hip hop, and the pop they played had that annoying techno beat mixed in. I was embarassed because I brought my DC friends down with me.

CC does hip hop on Thursday night. Legends plays some hip hop songs, but they are usually dance remixes. The '95 era techno you referred to is mostly a sub genre of electronic dance music called trance. I personally wouldn't want to go into a gay club and hear hip hop music. Some hip hop lyrics can be quite homophobic. When Retail opened it was supposed to cater to a gay/straight crowd and played hip hop and dance. The hip hop part kinda took over and then violence became a problem. I remember being down there in the area one night and there were all these people running and screaming. I stopped one of them to ask what had happened and she said someone just got stabbed in front of Retail. When Five Star used to be Wicked Smile there was a pretty mixed crowd. I'm sure there are gay people who go to the mostly straight clubs. The thing is a lot of gay people don't act any different that staight people so you never really know who is gay and who's not in a club that isnt specifically a gay club. I don't see any reason you should be embarassed because a gay club was playing dance music. When I think of a dance club I think of dance music like Gabriel and Dresden, Tiesto, Peter Rauhofer, Above and Beyond, and artists like that, not hip hop. Sure you can dance to hip hop, but you can dance to just about anything if you want to. I'm sure there are people who don't like dance music, just like I don't like most hip hop. Club owners may not want to mix it up too much for fear of losing a specific crowd. If Legends were to start playing mostly hip hop I'm sure many of their regulars would stop coming.

Sure people have different tastes, but the objectively true fact is that hip hop is the most popular genre today. Hip hop dominates the Billboard pop charts. Even songs that are originally released as non-ip hop are often remixed with a hip hop edge to gain airplay and popularity. In recent years, there have been times when hip hop dominated the TOP 10 Album charts and TOP 10 SINGLES charts. Radio stations that didn't play any hip hop just 5 years ago are now playing hip hop. MTV, which once played very little hip hop, could easily be renamed the Hip Hop Channel today. It's either change or die. Moreover, while a particular hip hop club may have had incidents of violence, it is ridiculous to conclude that hip hop will lead to violence. Hip hop is enjoyed by a wide array of demographics and the notion that it will automatically lead to crime is erroneous and reeks of some underlying racist assumptions. One of Boston hottest club events right now is the Embassy near Fenway, which features a mix of gay, straight, bisexual, white, Latin, Asian, male, female, urban, suburban clubgoers, with a heavy representation of college kids. Not only is hip hop largely popular amongst the college students, but so is the spinoff reggaeton genre, and not just in Boston or New York. I was embarassed mostly because my friends, who have traveled worldwide to a lot of cities, were amazed that Legends and Raleigh's gay community seemed trapped in a cultural time warp. Even in Kansas City, New Haven, and Orlando, the major clubs played a lot of hip hop because they were keenly aware that it is the popular music genre today amongst youth and young adults. My friends noted that very few big clubs they have been too across the world is completely playing the type of technotrance Legends still does. One of the reasons clubs play hip hop is that people like to dance to music they know, can sing to, know the hook. At least by playing Nelly, Chamillionaire, Mary J Blige, Ludacris, Bubba Sparxx, Kanye West, Jamie Foxx, Ying Yang Twins, and Young Buc, a club knows that largely young clubgoers will be familiar with the songs. (By the way, none of the artists produce homophobic music). Very few young people know anything about Gabriel and Dresden's music.

My friends noted that even when they played Beyonce or Rihanna songs, Legends messed it up with a techno mix. They seemed to go out of their way to de-urbanized their music into some stereotypical thumpy thump sound. I am not asserting that they have to play all hip hop or play it everynight. Some clubs have special nights with thematic music, or like the former Nation club in DC, have multiple dance floors that play different types of music.

Do you think that the DBAP could be renovated to hold an MLB team. Or MLS

Maybe a downtown stadium in Raleigh will finally come that way with us surpassing 2M in ten years.

Great question. When ever I'm at a game trying to figure that out. For MLB, the stadium may be able to buildout over the roads, or add a second tier as Fenway has. This would lead to restricted View seats. MLB wouldn't let that happen, so a new stadium would be neccesary.

Someone said here earlier with Raleigh and Durham, each one has what the other one needs. Raleigh could use some of Durham's (now very cliche) "grit," diversity, "hipness" and historic architecture perhaps, and Durham could use Raleigh's speed of growth and development, better reputation, and ability to attract business. If only Raleigh-Durham were one city like all the out-of-towners think, and not a region of sprawlsville and competing municipalities. :thumbsup:

This statement has myths on both ends. Raleigh has its share of grit and "potential" hipness. Most of the eastern part of downtown can be considered gritty but the City doesn't embrace it. They look at more ways to destroy it than to improve/enhance/revitalize it. E. Hargett St. is the perfect example...very little new investment outside of Cafe Luna and a constant rotation of about 3 Bars/Nightclubs. The diversity of this area should be embraced (Hip-Hop Club, Reggae Club, Bar and Cafe).

On the other hand, Durham is home to 75% of the Park. It would be nice to have that land within the City limits. Half of the venture capital in the STATE is invested in Durham.

but the truth is there is NOTHING to DO in Durham they don't have a GLENWOOD SOUTH or a MIDTOWN everybody I know who lives in Durham and I know tons of people who are my friends come to Raleigh for all there fun and partying or whatever you want to call it,

Understand what you are saying but I do think there is more to do in a city than "go drinkin". And this comes from a professional bar attendee who is hitting his 30th year of "sitting at the stool"

Although Durham does not have as many bars and places to go or a Glenwood South, I strongly believe that the Raleigh Restaurant scene is just beginning to catch up with Durham.....and to be quite frank, many of the Raleigh restaurants are over done and I am not sure many will last as some in Durham.

I went to the Bulls game Sat night and then to ATP and that does have a big city feel. That area will come along in the near future.

• 3 months later...

Not surprising as NC never really had the inflated housing market that other states had. Constant economic growth will continue to keep the housing market relatively stable. I have talked to a lot of people from California and the northeast, and even Florida that sold their houses in those locales and bought their house here in cash with plenty left over-I guess you have to sell at the perfect time.

This is kind of a off tha cuff question...with 17 new schools to be built who or what should they be named after. I have been all over this country and I am partial to schools with historical figure names. I hope these new schools have more than northern, southern, eastern, western in them. Lets get some variety going here. Has anyone thought of this or am I just on another level of sanity.

Given that everyone was apparently a slave owner, drug user, mafia agent, member of the wrong party, too rich, too violent, slept around on their spouse, abused and/or took photos of children, didn't hold their basketball players' hands every second (to keep them from selling comp tickets and shoes), didn't win enough, had the wrong color hair, was too fat or too thin, had the wrong accent, or just plain ol' p#$$ed people off, I'd be surprised if we ever saw anything ever named after anyone ever again.

Archived