American Idol auditions in Birmingham

kayman

American Idol: Birmingham  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the Birmingham auditions will be successful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If they are, do you think that they would hold auditions in town again?

• Yes
    • No

Dennis Leonard, general manager of Fox 6 News in Birmingham, said Thursday he thinks there is a "very good possibility" that Birmingham will be selected as one of the cities where "American Idol" holds tryouts this fall for the 2007 season, which kicks off in January.
Their reasoning of considering Birmingham as a possible auditions location is because it is the only metropolitan area in the country to have produced more than 3 'Idol' finalists.

Auditions in other cities have typically attracted several thousand people, most from outside the area, who often camp out days ahead of time, he said. Leonard said "Idol" has showcased the new face of Birmingham as a diverse, friendly city and countered negative images of 1960s civil rights unrest.

Idol Producers Consider Birmingham for Auditions

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a quick clip of Birmingham on American Idol's website. It's very short, but has some outstanding aerials of the city (I'm assuming from helicopters).

http://www.americanidol.com/auditions/birmingham/

That is a truely awesome video, I loved it!!! I wish that the city could come up with something JUST LIKE THAT and put it on NATIONAL TV instead of just markets within Alabama. That was one perfectly designed video!

The last view of downtown was my favorite.

Strangely enough they left off mentioning Riverchase, Alabama Adventures, Birmingham Zoo, Birmingham Botanical Gardens, and The Summit. :blink: It's good that they are listing some of the tourist attactions but some of the main ones for this region are either forgotten, left off, or ignored. However, at least they are trying which I will give them credit for. :thumbsup:

That is a truely awesome video, I loved it!!! I wish that the city could come up with something JUST LIKE THAT and put it on NATIONAL TV instead of just markets within Alabama. That was one perfectly designed video!

The last view of downtown was my favorite.

You should send that video to the GBCVB where they have dropped the ball once again with that tourism campaign that supposed to have started in April but never came to fruition. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Be wary, it may not be the best publicity for Birmingham. When they came to Greensboro (NC), a diverse, sophisticated, up-and-coming place like Birmingham, they took the opportunity to portray it as a stereotypical southern hick town in how they chose the contestants to "show". The broad representation of GSO weren't even on the initial shows, if that is any sign they clearly pander for ratings by doing whatever they think will work. If they point out that Birmingham is an established nationally ranked medical center, for example, I'd be very surprised. Etc. etc.

Be wary, it may not be the best publicity for Birmingham. When they came to Greensboro (NC), a diverse, sophisticated, up-and-coming place like Birmingham, they took the opportunity to portray it as a stereotypical southern hick town in how they chose the contestants to "show". The broad representation of GSO weren't even on the initial shows, if that is any sign they clearly pander for ratings by doing whatever they think will work. If they point out that Birmingham is an established nationally ranked medical center, for example, I'd be very surprised. Etc. etc.

So far, they haven't found anyone good at the B'ham auditions. I don't know if they will, but, I'm praying. But, I don't think they're gonna go out to say that UAB is GREAT. Haha, that'd cost some money.

Archived