My Photo Journal of Murfreesboro

Fallingwater

Armed with a camera and a new roll of film I ventured into the morning drizzle to try and capture some of Murfreesboro through the camera lens. Not all of these turned out as I had hoped or captured the view I was seeing through the camera lens eye but hopefully there will be some pics to pique your interest. I tried not to duplicate the photos which have already been shared by others but there will probably be instances where that is indeed the case. I think one problem of photographing Murfreesboro (at least to me) is the fact that the land is relatively flat so there is not a lot of variety, topographically speaking, in vantage points. Those above the ground telephone polls and electrical wires also pose a problem in places. So here we go.......

If you park in the parking garage underneath the City Hall Plaza and walk up the stairwell to the Plaza then one is greeted by this spectacular view of the Am South Bank building. Great view! My favorite photo of the day's journey.

212646476_4865ab11c9_b.jpg

View of City Hall Rotunda entrance.

212646539_077a0074c7_b.jpg

Wider view of City Hall and Plaza.

212647928_aba814daec_b.jpg

View of Am South Bank building as seen from South Church Street.

212646409_9f5a0d5706_b.jpg

One more shot from the City Hall Plaza then we will head on toward the Square. This view is of the Linebaugh Public Library and fountains.

212646600_8f1e7866c2_b.jpg

Stay tuned...............

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...well, one more shot from the Plaza. This looks as if it is in the middle of a wooded area like a monument or grave marker perhaps. This, however, is the entrance to the parking garage beneath the City Hall Plaza. A nice little pathway leads you to the stairwell to the cars below.

212647875_16813848c2_b.jpg

To speak truthfully, I am not particularly fond of Rutherford County's Courthouse nor the square. Then again, I have never been fond of squares in general. However, this is the Rutherford County Courthouse as seen from the middle of South Main Street.

212647776_6f50c2a546_b.jpg

Another view of the Courthouse.

212646716_d615a9b357_b.jpg

And another view of the Courthouse with statue.

212647207_cf84733212_b.jpg

Looking down Maple Street on the square.

212646817_64249a0896_b.jpg

Shops along the square.

212647707_1931291936_b.jpg

This is perhaps the largest office building on the square proper and also could be one of the best architecturally (sure beats Big B Cleaners!) and someday I desire to get a closer look at the detailing on that building.

212646901_d2ef9c9c24_b.jpg

We will now be leaving the square and venturing out into the areas immediately around the square which, to me, are much more interesting. Stay tuned........................

I think I could have framed this photo a little better but I was thinking in terms of contrast here; A Classical vs. Modern motif.

212647621_0a5f78d096_b.jpg

Here are a couple of neighboring office buildings just off the square.

212646944_78b0f47bf3_b.jpg

Some areas just around the square offer tree canopied sidewalks which I absolutely love! Below is one example.

212647533_9de24511b8_b.jpg

The Center for the Arts building. Guys and Dolls - now showing.

212647001_32f7da3adb_b.jpg

Cool old Church building.

212647137_0eb8a4e95e_b.jpg

This is either a bank or office building as seen through the trees along the sidewalk.

212647333_d105a338dd_b.jpg

A little shop or business with a very warm and inviting entrance - Europeanesque.

212647434_55e4417ab7_b.jpg

This photo should be in black and white but if I were a wino then this would be the place for me! However it looks like one already beat me to it!

212647259_ec27ab2cf4_b.jpg

Am South Bank in the immediate distance.

212647560_0f71f7d789_b.jpg

Leaving downtown there are a few pics taken out in the neighborhood. Murfreesboro has built many new apartment complexes over the past few years with some still under construction. This one is on St. Andrews. Oh yes, I also got quite wet.

212646198_aa029f10ed_b.jpg

New housing units being built is a common site in Murfreesboro. These homes are going up near RiverRock road.

212646292_9bfeaf9e45_b.jpg

This last pic is simply what a typical neighborhood in Murfreesboro looks like. It could be anywhere in town but this one happens to be just off Cason Lane.

212646245_b236cd0dec_b.jpg

THE END.

To speak truthfully, I am not particularly fond of Rutherford County's Courthouse nor the square. Then again, I have never been fond of squares in general. However, this is the Rutherford County Courthouse as seen from the middle of South Main Street.

Wow, you don't like Rutherford's Courthouse ? That's considered to be one of the most beautiful Courthouses in Tennessee. I personally love the old downtown squares. It's a tragedy Nashville's was eradicated. :(

Wow, you don't like Rutherford's Courthouse ? That's considered to be one of the most beautiful Courthouses in Tennessee. I personally love the old downtown squares. It's a tragedy Nashville's was eradicated. :(

Hello fieldmarshaldj,

Well, it does boil to down to personal taste I suppose but, no, I am not intrigued by the Rutherford County Courthouse in the least. I wouldn't call it an eyesore that needs to be torn down but if a tornado leveled it then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

I wasn't even aware that Nashville had a square. Where was it? The old Criminal Justice Center on 2nd Avenue? I worked in downtown Nashville back in the 80's and have always liked Nashville's core. Plenty of nooks and crannys to explore although, to me, Nashville's skyline was not much different than Louisville's or Indianapolis or two dozen other places - you know, back when everyone went Miesian.

Hello fieldmarshaldj,

Well, it does boil to down to personal taste I suppose but, no, I am not intrigued by the Rutherford County Courthouse in the least. I wouldn't call it an eyesore that needs to be torn down but if a tornado leveled it then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

I wasn't even aware that Nashville had a square. Where was it? The old Criminal Justice Center on 2nd Avenue? I worked in downtown Nashville back in the 80's and have always liked Nashville's core. Plenty of nooks and crannys to explore although, to me, Nashville's skyline was not much different than Louisville's or Indianapolis or two dozen other places - you know, back when everyone went Miesian.

Oh, no ! Don't say the "T" word, it might come to pass like it did in Clarksville. No, to me, the courthouse is the very heart of Murfreesboro. If it were lost, the soul of the city would go with it. It would be a tragedy to lose it.

As for Nashville's old town square, its heart was where the current courthouse stands (prior to its being built in the 1930s, the prior courthouse, essentially a copy of the state capitol and designed by the son of its architect, along with the old city hall, located directly to the west of it, stood on its site). The square was surrounded by Victorian businesses (similar to what is on 2nd today, but with some genuine gems that had mansard-style roofs, of which there are virtually none left in Nashville) on all 4 sides (the last of which was demolished in 1974, located on the north side where the prison was built). The east side buildings were demolished to make way for the Gay Street viaduct, the Woodland Street Bridge connector, and parking, the west side ones awhile before that, and the worst of all, 2 entire square blocks were levelled between 1st and 3rd and from Deaderick to Union to provide more courthouse parking.

The recent project to place the parking underground and recreate a de facto square of sorts on those 2 square blocks is interesting, though were I to do it, I'd probably prefer to rebuild a lot of those lost old gems that once sat on those blocks (essentially extending 2nd Avenue).

Oh, no ! Don't say the "T" word, it might come to pass like it did in Clarksville. No, to me, the courthouse is the very heart of Murfreesboro. If it were lost, the soul of the city would go with it. It would be a tragedy to lose it.

As for Nashville's old town square, its heart was where the current courthouse stands (prior to its being built in the 1930s, the prior courthouse, essentially a copy of the state capitol and designed by the son of its architect, along with the old city hall, located directly to the west of it, stood on its site). The square was surrounded by Victorian businesses (similar to what is on 2nd today, but with some genuine gems that had mansard-style roofs, of which there are virtually none left in Nashville) on all 4 sides (the last of which was demolished in 1974, located on the north side where the prison was built). The east side buildings were demolished to make way for the Gay Street viaduct, the Woodland Street Bridge connector, and parking, the west side ones awhile before that, and the worst of all, 2 entire square blocks were levelled between 1st and 3rd and from Deaderick to Union to provide more courthouse parking.

The recent project to place the parking underground and recreate a de facto square of sorts on those 2 square blocks is interesting, though were I to do it, I'd probably prefer to rebuild a lot of those lost old gems that once sat on those blocks (essentially extending 2nd Avenue).

I agree it would be a tragedy to lose the Courthouse from a historical perspective and, yes, it cannot be denied that the Courthouse serves as a sort of focal point from which all of Murfreesboro radiates.

I have probably seen photographs of the old Nashville square but just cannot recall. I do understand the need to go forward with progress but there has got to be a way where these splendid old structures cannot fall to greed. At the same time, many city fathers who are so diehard preservationists need to understand that too much preservation only chokes the life out of a place in many cases. I may be wrong on this but places like Murfreesboro, Clarksville, and so many others are being built with greedy hands and the very thing which has attracted so many is becoming lost in the process. Todays newly built fantastic mall will probably be a piece of neglected crap in 25 years.

I agree it would be a tragedy to lose the Courthouse from a historical perspective and, yes, it cannot be denied that the Courthouse serves as a sort of focal point from which all of Murfreesboro radiates.

I have probably seen photographs of the old Nashville square but just cannot recall. I do understand the need to go forward with progress but there has got to be a way where these splendid old structures cannot fall to greed. At the same time, many city fathers who are so diehard preservationists need to understand that too much preservation only chokes the life out of a place in many cases. I may be wrong on this but places like Murfreesboro, Clarksville, and so many others are being built with greedy hands and the very thing which has attracted so many is becoming lost in the process. Todays newly built fantastic mall will probably be a piece of neglected crap in 25 years.

I dunno, I'm not sure I've ever really seen an example of "too much preservation", always too little. I'm sure there are some examples, however. I'd agree that with poor or reckless planning (or out-of-control development), it is a recipe for disaster in the long run. As for "neglected crap" malls, one need look no further than Hickory Hollow, now the epicenter of a high-crime area, and only 28 years old. The other malls I frequented as a yoot are either moribund (100 Oaks) or demolished (Harding Mall). In all honesty, I'm not terribly enamored of malls anymore. I think we're seeing a preference for and return to the old style of shops-along-the-street that were the hallmark of downtowns everywhere. I think it's a positive development.

I dunno, I'm not sure I've ever really seen an example of "too much preservation", always too little. I'm sure there are some examples, however. I'd agree that with poor or reckless planning (or out-of-control development), it is a recipe for disaster in the long run. As for "neglected crap" malls, one need look no further than Hickory Hollow, now the epicenter of a high-crime area, and only 28 years old. The other malls I frequented as a yoot are either moribund (100 Oaks) or demolished (Harding Mall). In all honesty, I'm not terribly enamored of malls anymore. I think we're seeing a preference for and return to the old style of shops-along-the-street that were the hallmark of downtowns everywhere. I think it's a positive development.

You bring up some great examples with respects to Malls with a little age and what is their probable fate. Growing up in Clarksville we first went to "The Plaza" which was much like in concept what "The Avenue" will be for Murfreesboro. "The Plaza" had anchor tenants which were standard for the time; Montgomery Ward, Roses, Harveys......... They then built Two Rivers Mall and that "The Plaza" began to decline eventually losing every major tenant............ then they built Governors Square Mall and thus began the decline of Two Rivers Mall sa it was reduced to second hand clothing stores, discount shops, etc. The Plaza was all but abandoned until the City bought it for much needed office space and a "new" Public Library. That whole area known as Greenwood now looks pretty neglected. Today, Governors Square Mall is vibrant and healthy and it spawned massive retail and commerical development along Wilma Rudolph Blvd to the extent that there is probably very few lots left to build and development has already spread beyond the thoroughfare. The time will come, however, when Governor's Square becomes "inadequate" and another area of town will be the next hot thing leaving Governor's Square to begin its descent just like all the others. I do hope that the trend is a revitilazation of those old shops.

I think Clarksville also offers an example of over-protection but I stand to be corrected. So much of downtown and a few neighborhoods around there are on the Natinal Register of Historic places and entire districts are "preserved." Well, rightly so - there are some real gems to be found and I would hate to see a 20 story building built along Franklin Street, for example. But if you build downtown then I think one is forced to conform to the architecture and even the scale of a late 19th century downtown. I think they wanted Clarksville's downtown to be a tourist attraction but I have never seen many tourists walking around since 10,000 other towns have done the same thing with their downtowns. There does seem to be some new activity and interest in the area but downtown can best be described as "dead" excepting the lawyers, Government offices and those involved with the criminal justice system.

FYI, the Murfreesboo courthouse holds the honor of once being the state capital building of Tennessee! The specifics I cannot remember, and I think the building only held the ttitle for one day! Nonetheless, I think it is a building to be cherished for everything it has done for the city/county.

FYI, the Murfreesboo courthouse holds the honor of once being the state capital building of Tennessee! The specifics I cannot remember, and I think the building only held the ttitle for one day! Nonetheless, I think it is a building to be cherished for everything it has done for the city/county.

I think it is the case that Murfreesboro was the State Capitol from 1818-1826. The Rutherford County Courthouse was not built until 1859 so it could not have been the State Capitol Building during the time Murfreesboro was the State Capitol. Perhaps there was a time when the building served as the State Capitol for one day (what year would that be?), that does not make it any more aesthetically pleasing to me.

I think the Capitol for one day goes to Kingston in 1807, not Murfreesboro - at least according to the Tennessee Encyclopedia online.

Edited by Fallingwater

great photos fallingwater! but how can you not like the square with the courthouse?!!!! j\k, i know to each their own. i on the other hand love that area. it's my favorite part of murfreesboro (that and the greenway trails.) the whole area is very pedestrian friendly and there is actually quite a bit to do down there. it helps me remember that murfreesboro is actually a city and not some suburb of nashville. did you get a chance to take any pics of the houses down main street? those are gorgeous. i've been meaning to get some black and white shots of them when i have some time off.

great photos fallingwater! but how can you not like the square with the courthouse?!!!! j\k, i know to each their own. i on the other hand love that area. it's my favorite part of murfreesboro (that and the greenway trails.) the whole area is very pedestrian friendly and there is actually quite a bit to do down there. it helps me remember that murfreesboro is actually a city and not some suburb of nashville. did you get a chance to take any pics of the houses down main street? those are gorgeous. i've been meaning to get some black and white shots of them when i have some time off.

Oh, I absolutely LOVE the areas which immediately surround the square and I believe I mentioned in my pics how much I love the tree lined streets and the interesting buildings in those areas. Great stuff indeed! I'm just not too terribly fond of the courthouse and the whole concept of "squares" - I just don't care for the traffic pattern of squares and roundabouts. The shops, stores and offices are all fine except perhaps the side with Big B Cleaners.

Yes, it is all a matter of taste and opinion. Sorry if I do not find the RCC attractive. The reason I do not is that, to me, the cupola is not in good proportion to the building and is too small and "squatty" for a building with columns which rise so high. The Courthouse should have a taller cupola, IMHO. It looks out of proportion to me.

Main street has some fantastic dwellings and I did not take any photos along the avenue because I did not wish to duplicate what others had done on these forums and I think I have seen some photos of houses along Main Street posted here somewhere. Certainly, I included photos of buildings which have been published here and elsewhere but aside from the Courthouse, I tried to photograph popular buildings like the Am South Bank tower (City Center) perhaps from new angles or from different perspectives.

I thought about going out to MTSU for some photos but Relient J had already done that. Insofar as MTSU is concerned, I am very fond of the more recent buildings over the "old campus" buildings. The new stuff is very dynamic and exudes a certain...... collegient... quality which is not a bad thing at all. Very nice stuff they are doing out there.

I think my next outing in Murfreesboro will include some Greenway pics because I think I know of some great shots which Relient J either missed or did not include in his pics of that magnificent recreational showpiece. Ha, I wasn't even aware until the other day that there is a dog park along the Greenway. Ha, it's called "Bark Park."

ok, I guess my facts were wrong. I also didn't mean to imply that the fact should make it more aesthetically pleasing, just making a comment.

Regardless, I like the building.

And that is quite alright with me. I know that I am of the minority opinion. I do think the RCC is far more pleasing on the eye than a BP Station for what little consolation that brings.