Election Results

cdarr

Okay...time to discuss Memphis politics. There were some interesting developments in Thursday's Shelby County general election and state/congressional primaries. Certainly the most amazing story is how, apparently, the heavily African-American 9th Congressional District will be represented by a white man, and a Jewish one at that. State Senator Steve Cohen, best known for spearheading the drive to bring the lottery to Tennessee, beat out a host of other candidates to win the Democratic primary.

Cohen heralded it as an example of Memphis rising above racially-polarized politics. That's the right thing to say, but it probably had much more to do with the black vote being split by a ballot featuring several black candidates - none of whom is particuarly well known. I have my doubts whether Cohen, if he wins, will be in office more than two years. His views on many social issues may be far to the left of his constituency, and he is certainly more liberal than the man he is replacing, Harold Ford, Jr.

As for Ford himself, he will now face off against Republican Bob Corker to fill the Senate seat of the departing Bill Frist. Ford is a moderate Democrat who might make some inroads in largely-conservative Tennessee, but he probably has too many strikes against him to win this race - most significantly, his notorious family and the fact that he's from Memphis, which as we all know, is so loathed by the rest of the state. Assuming he loses, it will be interesting to see what he does next. Perhaps he will come back in '08 and challenge Cohen to take his seat back. Personally, I would prefer to see him challenge Herenton in '07 as mayor. As the most sensible, articulate and (seemingly) independent member of the Ford dynasty, he might actually be a calming and unifying force for the city. He could bring back some public confidence and civility to the city mayor's office, much like A.C. Wharton has for the county.

Speaking of which, A.C. Wharton was reelected in a resounding landslide. He beat his Republican challenger, the sour John Willingham, by a 3 to 1 margin. Regardless of the quality of his competition, Wharton clearly commands tremendous respect within the county, respect that crosses party and racial lines.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't loath Memphis, but I would vote for a conservative anyday over a moderate democrat (or any democrat) that doesn't even know what he stands for. Personally, I think Corker is going to beat the pants off of Ford.

Also about AC Wharton hes an ok guy, but I still wouldn't have voted for him.

I don't loath Memphis, but I would vote for a conservative anyday over a moderate democrat (or any democrat) that doesn't even know what he stands for. Personally, I think Corker is going to beat the pants off of Ford.

Also about AC Wharton hes an ok guy, but I still wouldn't have voted for him.

Well, I was trying to be non-partisan in my analysis. I will vote for Corker unless he says/does something just idiotic...my girlfriend's parents live in Chattanooga and speak very highly of him. As for Ford, I find him far less annoying than most of the hate-Bush-and-ask-questions-later Democrats, but I think he would do far more good (and much less harm) as mayor than as congressman or senator.

I suppose the best thing Wharton has going for him is that he looks damn good when compared our other mayor. I'm really not sure Herenton's elevators is going all the way up anymore.

Well, I was trying to be non-partisan in my analysis. I will vote for Corker unless he says/does something just idiotic...my girlfriend's parents live in Chattanooga and speak very highly of him. As for Ford, I find him far less annoying than most of the hate-Bush-and-ask-questions-later Democrats, but I think he would do far more good (and much less harm) as mayor than as congressman or senator.

I suppose the best thing Wharton has going for him is that he looks damn good when compared our other mayor. I'm really not sure Herenton's elevators is going all the way up anymore.

So... basically if Corker pulls a Flynn? ;)

I love the commercial with John Ford Jr filling up his SUV and talking about gas prices! That is typical of democrats. Gore wants to fly around in his jets, wantsa his staff to drive 10 MPG Hummers, but for us little minions, we should only be allowed a Mini.

If it was a F250, it was likely biodiesel-powered, according to Time, which gets 20 mpg vs. 14 for the normal according to internet sources.

If it was a F250, it was likely biodiesel-powered, according to Time, which gets 20 mpg vs. 14 for the normal according to internet sources.

Ofcourse it was....Yeah right. You couldn't trust a democrat as far as you can throw him. We found that out when Bill Clinton was in office.

Ofcourse it was....Yeah right. You couldn't trust a democrat as far as you can throw him. We found that out when Bill Clinton was in office.

No, you can't trust Dems. Or many politicians for that matter, especially in the beltway of either party, lol. What you can do is produce proof. Use your critical judgment. More than likely he didn't pay for it either way. I hope he would use the more conservative drain on resources. But except for inherent skepticism (which might be deserved), there's no evidence (yet) that the Time article was untrue. Or was the vehicle not a 250? Or not bio-powered? Expose the beotch with proof! Unless they're unsubstantiated partisan rhetoric.

Well I lean more towards the liberal side when it comes to politics and I think that Wharton has done a pretty good job with the county. He took the right step in deciding to study rezoning and charge impact fees to developers. This was a step in the right direction for smart growth. Herenton on the other hand has let his civic boosterism alienate him from the suburban mayors and now the city can't get anything done. I don't know too much about Corker but I agree Ford Jr. might be good in the city government, even though his family's reputation will hurt him. He grew up in DC so maybe he can bring some fresh ideas to city hall. For a city mayor, we need someone who can see how great Memphis is and able to work on the area's where we should improve.

Well I lean more towards the liberal side when it comes to politics and I think that Wharton has done a pretty good job with the county. He took the right step in deciding to study rezoning and charge impact fees to developers. This was a step in the right direction for smart growth. Herenton on the other hand has let his civic boosterism alienate him from the suburban mayors and now the city can't get anything done. I don't know too much about Corker but I agree Ford Jr. might be good in the city government, even though his family's reputation will hurt him. He grew up in DC so maybe he can bring some fresh ideas to city hall. For a city mayor, we need someone who can see how great Memphis is and able to work on the area's where we should improve.

I don't know, I think the effect of DC on Ford may be as bad as his family's reputation. The beltway isn't exactly a fount of integrity and responsible government.

If thats the case the one in office now cant be trusted, both have lied but one is also killing!

If thats the case the one in office now cant be trusted, both have lied but one is also killing!

One has also freed a country from a dictator and has reduced the numbers of extreme Islamic terrorists to keep our country safer!(and it's not the pimp that used to be in office!).

One has also freed a country from a dictator and has reduced the numbers of extreme Islamic terrorists to keep our country safer!(and it's not the pimp that used to be in office!).

And sold us out to the highest corporate bidder.

So... basically if Corker pulls a Flynn? ;)

Yeah, something like that. Flynn's ranting against the NBA and the Forum cost him my vote, although I was leaning toward Wharton at that point anyway.

It's funny...I'm almost non-partisan when it comes to state and local elections, especially if the race is for an executive position such as mayor or governor. I also voted for Bredesen in the last governor's race because I felt his experience as a CEO and Nashville mayor better prepared him for the governorship than Van Hilleary's background as a Congressman. Also, the fact that Bredesen had been CEO of a health care company was an asset considering the TennCare mess.

Now national politics...ah, that's a different story.

Hey, I'm fine with that. One of those "coporate bidders" pays me pretty well. They also do a great job of delivering packages to people.

They might give you a job up front, but they take it all back in prices! record profits for exxon while the rest of us pay out the ...

I am actually neither democrat nor republican. I'm fiscally conservative. So I hate the local democrats and the federal republicans.

So now he going to free N. Korea from dictatorship now....he pimping our troops seems like to me!

I just don't understand how Ford can run for Senate in TENNESSEE? I mean, he's earned his campaign money in NYC and the northeast, he's lived most of his life in DC, I doubt he even vacations in Tennessee. Isn't there a law about having to live in the district you represent. I'll say it again: HE DOES NOT LIVE HERE!

I just don't understand how Ford can run for Senate in TENNESSEE? I mean, he's earned his campaign money in NYC and the northeast, he's lived most of his life in DC, I doubt he even vacations in Tennessee. Isn't there a law about having to live in the district you represent. I'll say it again: HE DOES NOT LIVE HERE!

That's why I think he'd work out good as mayor. He's from here, but he's not from here.

Seem to me that when Bredesen, a yankee outsider, became Nashville mayor, he brought a totally different perspective to the job than previous regimes. I lived in Nashville during my high school years and the mayors were good-ole-boy networkers Richard Fulton and Bill Boner. The city really seemed to take off after Bredesen came along. Or maybe it was 'cause I left town :D

I think that's the big thing about Bredesen. He moved to Tennessee and ran for office in Tennessee, starting at the city level and working his way up.

Ford's only political experience is in DC. Had Ford started off on a local level and worked his way up, he might have a shot in this election. Of course if he had started on the local level, he might be sitting at home with Uncle John and an ankle bracelet. His family is what scares me the most.

Archived