question about articles

Okay, I'm clear on the rules about articles, with one exception. It doesn't say anything about posting articles from magazines or publications that aren't posted anywhere on the internet, but permission has been granted by the editor to share them online.

Would this be out of the question, or would it be allowed?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would fall under the same copyright violations as online sources just as pirating software is the same as robbing a retailer of a physical item.

If the editor has given permission EXPLICITLY for general copy use in a COMMERCIAL setting or to you specifically then it is allowed on a case by case basis, otherwise the content cannot be posted to UrbanPlanet.org.

If the editor has given permission EXPLICITLY for general copy use in a COMMERCIAL setting or to you specifically then it is allowed on a case by case basis, otherwise the content cannot be posted to UrbanPlanet.org.

This is what I'm talking about. I've asked the editor for his permission to post his article on the web, as there is not already a source for it online. I have been granted similar permission by editors in the past in cases like this, where the article isn't available online and isn't accessible to people outside of my region (local limited-circulation magazine.)

In the event I am granted permission in this case and wish to share this article, I will just create my own HTML document, and as Marc mentioned, link to it. That option really hadn't crossed my mind before, and that's why I figured I'd better ask for the best way to go about this. This way I avoid making any making waves here, as that's the last thing I want to do.

Thank you for your help, guys.

This is what I'm talking about. I've asked the editor for his permission to post his article on the web, as there is not already a source for it online. I have been granted similar permission by editors in the past in cases like this, where the article isn't available online and isn't accessible to people outside of my region (local limited-circulation magazine.)

In the event I am granted permission in this case and wish to share this article, I will just create my own HTML document, and as Marc mentioned, link to it. That option really hadn't crossed my mind before, and that's why I figured I'd better ask for the best way to go about this. This way I avoid making any making waves here, as that's the last thing I want to do.

Thank you for your help, guys.

You are welcome to create a page offsite and link to that article given that you have explicit permission from the copyright holder to do so. :)

This is a good time to ask a question of mine, too. What if you post the link here, and use the quote feature, and put some of the information from the article in quotes under the posted link. Would that be allowed?

A line or so of quoted text isn't a big deal, but when you start copying entire paragraphs or entire articles it does become an issue. Any quoted text you do needs to cite the source.

Just to fill you guys in, my permission was granted publicly in this week's issue of the referenced magazine, so whenever I need to post an article from their magazine, I will create a simple text webpage at my own account and just link to it.

Thank you guys for your help. :)

Brian

Archived