CATS is not the only Transit System in the Metro

monsoon

While CATS gets a lot of discussion here at UrbanPlanet, I find it interesting to note that Concord and Kannapolis have been quietly building a bus system over the past couple of years and have found a lot of success in doing so. Neo mentioned to me this morning that new stats are out for the system's second year of service and are as follows:

• June 2004 there were 14,766 riders

• June 2005 saw an increase to 23,141 riders

• June 2006 there were 31,122 riders

While much smaller than CATS remember this means 31,122 car trips are being removed from the road there each month because of this system, and they continue to grow at the rate of about 45%/year.

This system is independent from CATS, but there are 3 interconnect points to the CATS express system at Concord Mills, and two other park and ride locations.

There website for Concord Kannapolis Area Transit is here.

They now have 6 routes and have started Saturday service.

88.jpg89.jpg91.jpg92.jpg86.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a clarification- I'm very glad that smaller municipalities in NC are investing in bus transit, but it is doubtful that they are removing 31,122 cars from the road every year- much of their ridership is likely to be transit-dependent and non-car owning. Of course, by providing transit access to those without cars, we expand the likelihood that those people can get to work, shop efficiently, and make medical appointments, which means those citizens are more likely to be productive members of the economy rather than filing for unemployment benefits.

Towns that also go down this path are providing a greater number of transportation choices for their citizens, which will become increasingly important as oil prices continue to rise.

Regardless- kudos to Concord and Kannapolis for this forward-looking program, not to mention a very nice map that points out wheelchair friendly bus stops! :yahoo:

hey, very nice. this makes me even more of a proponent for the proposed light rail extension to UNCC and the rumored extension onto lowes motor speedway. is there already a connector from charlotte to the concord/kannapolis system? if not, i hope the light rail could be extended into their system. unlike iredell county, cabarrus seems more advanced in their thinking towards mass transit and i wonder what that county's response, to joining the light rail team, would be.

hey, very nice. this makes me even more of a proponent for the proposed light rail extension to UNCC and the rumored extension onto lowes motor speedway. is there already a connector from charlotte to the concord/kannapolis system? if not, i hope the light rail could be extended into their system. unlike iredell county, cabarrus seems more advanced in their thinking towards mass transit and i wonder what that county's response, to joining the light rail team, would be.

As for now, as discussed in the LRT thread, the NE line will end on the southern side of 485 as currently planned. Unless Cabarrus, LowesMS, etc come up with extra funds, I doubt we'll see the line head into Cab County for quite some time. I really hope I am wrong though. If anybody heads into the heart of Concord where the main bus terminal is, there is tremendous growth happening along highway 29 in that area due to Northeast Medical center's continual expansion. Their downtown district is very well preserved and is set aside from the major developments along 29 near the Kannapa-cord border and near Concord Mills. They have become much more transit oriented and are starting to plan accordingly. So much so that I was very surprised when there wasn't even a mention of the LRT extension in any proposals.

For the most part, Concord has a very extensive street network. The only areas I can think of that don't have a well set grid are along Weddington Rd (portion not pictured on any of those maps.) and Poplar Tent Rd where they have a dense network of culdesac style neighborhoods. Recently the mixed use community Afton Village/Ridge near 85 has sprouted and seems to be becoming more of a standard as it includes both residential, bix box retail, and small office/commercial space. My parents live within two miles of this area so I have been following its development quite closely. I believe it will now include a Best Buy, SuperTarget, and Walgreens and is right across from a brand new Harris Teeter complex.

I heard recent rumor of a bus line extending from Harrisburg into University City as well. That would also probably add the needed connection to the LRT (once finished.) As of right now, the only places CATS connects with the concord lines are with the purple line at Concord Commons and with the red line at Concord Mills.

Archived