West Michigan Economy Articles

There's a rather depressing and lengthy article, in today's NY Times on the economic state of MI. Instead of just focusing on Detrot, it also talks about the down turn in West MI as well. A women is interviewed from Fennville, who was laid off and can't seem to sell her home. Also, the layoffs at Herman Miller were brought up, but there was no mention of GR in the issue. Never-the-less, I gave up the GR Press because it depressed me so (mainly it's conservative slant), but now I'm thinking of giving up all newspapers....at least until this recessions over!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a rather depressing and lengthy article, in today's NY Times on the economic state of MI. Instead of just focusing on Detrot, it also talks about the down turn in West MI as well. A women is interviewed from Fennville, who was laid off and can't seem to sell her home. Also, the layoffs at Herman Miller were brought up, but there was no mention of GR in the issue. Never-the-less, I gave up the GR Press because it depressed me so (mainly it's conservative slant), but now I'm thinking of giving up all newspapers....at least until this recessions over!

More info on this Coopersville Delphi plant. Apparently the one proposal would be to have a dairy facility powered by methane (cow manure). The other offer on the property is from William Tingley of Local Area Watch, who wants to buy it and create a "datafacturing" plant. Not sure what that is exactly.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde..._former_de.html

I know it's fashionable to bemoan the departure of our 20-somethings after college.

There is an alternative way to look at it though: At least they're going to college and spending money here in Michigan. Yes, it would be nicer if they stayed after graduation... but they're here for 4 years spending money that they earned elsewhere (a good thing, right?).

For example:

Andrews University in Berrien Springs has an enrollment of 3420, 60% of whom are from out of state. That's 2,000 people spending money in tiny Berrien Springs even though they aren't technically Michigan residents and the money came from somewhere else.

More examples:

Kalamazoo College - 1,340 students, 31% out of state

Hope College - 3,200 students, 31% out of state

Kettering University (Flint) - 2,600 students, 32% out of state

This same logic works for bigger schools too:

UofM Ann Arbor - 41,000 students, 35% out of state (that's 14,350 Ann Arbor consumers!)

Michigan Tech - 7,000 students, 25% out of state

Northern Michigan University - 8,500 students, 25% out of state

Even when the percentage is low (MSU has only 11% out of staters) it works (because MSU has 46,000 students so about 5,000 out-of-staters)

That's true Suydam. Most of the out-of-state plates I see around the Northeast side have Cornerstone, Calvin or Aquinas stickers in the windows. And the recent report out about Cooley showed that a huge percentage were from out of state. But while having their disposable income is nice, it would be even nicer if we could retain their "jobs-producing" abilities. The great majority of people creating jobs today have at least a Bachelor's degree, if not higher. It used to be if you just had a lot of gumption and worked hard, you could create a successful company in Michigan. I don't see that much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

A great article about Chicago-based Franklin Partners and their successful re-purposing of over 1 Million square feet of industrial space in West Michigan:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...ings_new_f.html

Including a newly disclosed signing of Roskam Baking Company to take over 650,000+ square feet of former Steelcase space on Broadmoor in Kentwood. :w00t:

I know it's fashionable to bemoan the departure of our 20-somethings after college.

There is an alternative way to look at it though: At least they're going to college and spending money here in Michigan. Yes, it would be nicer if they stayed after graduation... but they're here for 4 years spending money that they earned elsewhere (a good thing, right?).

For example:

Andrews University in Berrien Springs has an enrollment of 3420, 60% of whom are from out of state. That's 2,000 people spending money in tiny Berrien Springs even though they aren't technically Michigan residents and the money came from somewhere else.

More examples:

Kalamazoo College - 1,340 students, 31% out of state

Hope College - 3,200 students, 31% out of state

Kettering University (Flint) - 2,600 students, 32% out of state

This same logic works for bigger schools too:

UofM Ann Arbor - 41,000 students, 35% out of state (that's 14,350 Ann Arbor consumers!)

Michigan Tech - 7,000 students, 25% out of state

Northern Michigan University - 8,500 students, 25% out of state

Even when the percentage is low (MSU has only 11% out of staters) it works (because MSU has 46,000 students so about 5,000 out-of-staters)

I think I've said it on here before, but I have observed numerous instances in my recent college experience where professors and other university staff talk negatively about the economic/job climate in Michigan. I have heard more than once that "You (students) will likely have to move out of state to get a job." Granted, there is some truth to this statement. Still, there should be some optimism from our local institutions and a push to keep local talent here. Part of the issue may be that professors and staff don't have West Michigan ties and don't feel much loyalty to the region. When students who aren't from GR hear this negativity, I can only imagine that they take it to heart and thoughts of flight begin or are perpetuated.

You don't need to go farther afield than Calvin College, with 4000 students, about 48% are out of state. That is a remarkable change from the Calvin of old, which was basically a West Michigan school with a thin wedge of Dutch kids from Iowa and New Jersey.

Calvin should also be on the list of higher ed institutions on the go in West Michigan. Kudos to the late Dr. Spoelhof, who recently passed away at 98. It was he who brought Calvin into the 20th century, and who attracted many great faculty members.

You don't need to go farther afield than Calvin College, with 4000 students, about 48% are out of state. That is a remarkable change from the Calvin of old, which was basically a West Michigan school with a thin wedge of Dutch kids from Iowa and New Jersey.

Calvin should also be on the list of higher ed institutions on the go in West Michigan. Kudos to the late Dr. Spoelhof, who recently passed away at 98. It was he who brought Calvin into the 20th century, and who attracted many great faculty members.

Looks like the Senate is trying to restore funding for the "ex-Pfizer plant proposed to be biotechnology center" in Holland Township. Republican in the Senate are tying funding for this to the light rail funding in Detroit. In other words, since Granholm supports the light rail line, she'll have to restore funding for this project if she wants light rail funding.

Wish local Republicans would have tied in the GR BRT funding as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-...0,7053733.story

Also, The Upjohn Institute says employment will be flat this year for GR, and much better than the rest of the state. I'll take flat right now. I assume their taking into account the GM closure (?)

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...ill_be_slo.html

Archived