Caldwell County furniture plant closes

Jerseyman4

More from the article

Employees who are laid off will be placed on a callback list and may be contacted as openings become available in other facilities for a period of 90 days.

This reminds me of the situation over at the Robbins (Moore county) Klaussner Plant that closed but allowed workers to relocate to the Asheboro plant. God forbid Klaussner closed its operations in NC, it would lose 3,330 workers.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a shame, another once proud industry in our region being victimized as the result of cheap foreign imports flooding our markets. My office being located in the Hickory/Lenoir area I can say that the furniture industry KEEPS taking it on the chin. These setbacks are not helping the future prospects of the Unifour area.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard a rumor, that because of all the job losses, Wal-Mart is looking at pulling out of Lenoir. Has anyone else heard this?

They are building another supercenter near exit 132(?) outside of Hickory. I'd say if anything, they may have found land for another supercenter. They are puttin' those buggers up everywhere and almost on top of each other!!!!

This is a shame, another once proud industry in our region being victimized as the result of cheap foreign imports flooding our markets. My office being located in the Hickory/Lenoir area I can say that the furniture industry KEEPS taking it on the chin. These setbacks are not helping the future prospects of the Unifour area.

Every time people shop at Wal-mart, they help make this happen. Americans in general do not seem interested in quality at this point in life, just low prices.

Want to change this dynamic? Make it more expensive to throw things away (pay-as-you-throw trash collection) and watch how people save, recycle, and buy higher-quality goods. When quality becomes more important than quality and price again, American manufacturing will return.

Yes, and to think all the furniture makers left Grand Rapids for greener pastures in NC. I wonder if the auto industry's honeymoon with the South will be short lived as well?

Well it also doesn't help that alot of these furniture companies are simply not keeping up to date with what alot of younger peoiple want. Give me the furniture from DWR, EQ3, or Buy Design...

Well it also doesn't help that alot of these furniture companies are simply not keeping up to date with what alot of younger peoiple want. Give me the furniture from DWR, EQ3, or Buy Design...

If you can afford DWR, then you can certainly afford Carter. They're based in Salisbury and I believe places like By Design sell their products. Still, it's not as cheap as foreign made EQ3.

http://www.carterfurniture.com/

In general, I agree with you; the more modern stuff is way too difficult to find. It doesn't help that their distribution methods are so old-fashioned.

I couldn't agree with you more. This free trade mantra coming from Washington is not historically accurate, nor is it set in economic stone of law. These "free" trade agreements are not necessary for world stability, and they are hurting some critical U.S. industries. It's all about weakening the individual nations to fulfill a very real trend toward the left wing "one world" ideology. I want the individual nations to return to thier rightful place as completely sovereign inside thier own borders. If I had my way, I would forget the WTO, the IMF, and the UN, et al.

In general, I agree with you; the more modern stuff is way too difficult to find. It doesn't help that their distribution methods are so old-fashioned.

When you say "modern" do you mean the ultra-modern styles? If you do, it should be mentioned that there is also a well known trend in antique styles and classic style in general that is very much in vogue. U.S. companies such as Broyhill, etc are very much supplying what consumers want. U.S. companies' sales are booming, yet they are moving overseas. It's about moving to lower wage areas, mostly.

Archived