Best 4th of July celebration

nashvillwill

Best 4th of July celebration  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Considering all things. Festivals, music, fireworks.

• Nashville
    • Memphis
    • Knoxville
    • Chatanooga
    • other

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know which city has the best fourth of July celebration since I can only speak for my own city, but Memphis has 2 separate shows that I know of, and I have been to both. One is downtown on the Mississippi River. The fireworks display is not top-shelf, but if you are on a boat (and many people are), it is quite a show! The Star Spangled Celebration is the other show, out east at Shelby Farms. This draws a pretty large crowd (around 10,000) not only for fireworks but for live music as well.

I'd have to say Nashville definitely. While I don't know what Memphis does on the 4th, I know Nashville has thousands converge on the downtown riverfront for the concert and fireworks, and it has been broadcast live for the past few years on either A&E or GAC.

I've seen that. It doesn't seem very impressive. It might be diffrent live though.

I've been to the Downtown Memphis a few years. Seen it from Mud Island and Tom Lee Park. Always frightening to see a firework narrowly miss a plane :shok: Tom Lee Park, is pretty much relax, sit on a mat, and kids run around with sparklers and glow sticks. Mud Island is more fast paced with lots of foods, drinks, face painting, and clowns.

I've never been to the one out in Shelby Farms but I think I saw part of it on WMCTV once. I think personal fireworks are legal outside Memphis City right (except Germantown maybe)? There's a firework store in Lakeland on Canada Road across from the Outlet mall.

you should include murfreesboro on here. me and my friends always put on an entertaining show. it's so good even the cops show up! more than once! :P the only real shows i've been to in tennessee is the one downtown nashville and the one in franklin (after they moved it from maryland farms). nashville is a good show for sheer size but is very crowded. the one at crocket park is good for being more laid back and family friendly (not as many drunks screaming) but definatly not as impressive. i haven't been to any of the other shows. i've heard that knoxville puts on a pretty good show.

In New Orleans, everybody used to shoot off guns up in the air on the 4th. :shok:

I grew up in the Nations in West Nashville and everyone still does this. I always remember standing there thinking, man all of these bullets have to come down somewhere.

Well I have to say Westmoreland's firework show [a town in northern sumner county if some of you didn't know] has the dinkiest show ever...its pathetic...

I have seen Nashville's firework show on television, it was insane..they show it on NBC [locally] its nifty.

• 7 months later...

Cottontown Tennessee, Sumner County.

Population of people less than the number of cows.

There are two celebrations. One on the 3rd that is a continuous shooting of 2,3, and 4 shot mortars plus those big boxes with all the color that goes on for a full 45 minutes, and a second one on the 4th that is almost as big put on by the VFD.

Anyone ever seen the rinky dinky one they have down at Tim's Ford? It's kinda pathetic, but I love it down there. It's better than nothing I guess.

Nashville's is top notch. It has nothing on Thunder over Louisville however. The key to both L&N is parking smart as to avoid sitting in gridlock. I also love doing business with the little vendors that set up shop before the show.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived