Downtown Muskegon progress

Besides the big news today from Baker College another sign of progress downtown was reported today. Downtown's 'Federal Square' to soon take shape

The article mentions that further improvements to the square will occur in the spring. It also states the square will also include a childrens fountain and a raised platform for performanced.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Old depot may find new life with Bike Time

Bike Time supporter and Hot Rod Harley Davidson co-owner Dr. Mark Campbell has offered to buy the county-owned 1,200-square-foot historic structure now at 691 W. Western. Bike Time was a wildly successful, first-time motorcycle event in downtown Muskegon last July.

The intention is to relocate the structure -- built in 1908 as an interurban railroad ticket and freight office -- somewhere further east to the vicinity of West Western Avenue and Terrace Street, Campbell said. The depot has been vacant since 1968.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the paper about the building at the corner of Terrace and Western accross the street from the new central fire station. For several years there has been a proposal to make this building into a restaurant but about the only signs of "progress" on the building was removing the shingles from the roof. Now they have asked the city for another two year extension on the obsolete property status. but the city only gave them 9 months to complete the project. I am glad the city didn't give them the full two years, this blight should be cleaned up ASAP. I would hate to see the building torn down when we have already lost so much of downtown to demolition, but sometimes an empty lot is better than a decaying vacant building. Maybe if the building does meet its demise Mark Campbell can move his new depot to that property (doubt it).

There was an article in the paper about the building at the corner of Terrace and Western accross the street from the new central fire station. For several years there has been a proposal to make this building into a restaurant but about the only signs of "progress" on the building was removing the shingles from the roof. Now they have asked the city for another two year extension on the obsolete property status. but the city only gave them 9 months to complete the project. I am glad the city didn't give them the full two years, this blight should be cleaned up ASAP. I would hate to see the building torn down when we have already lost so much of downtown to demolition, but sometimes an empty lot is better than a decaying vacant building. Maybe if the building does meet its demise Mark Campbell can move his new depot to that property (doubt it).

• 3 weeks later...

yes, I know and it is on western ave and will be announce sometime soon.

Friends of mine have just bought a condo at 297 Clay and are from Spring Lake. They wanted to be in Muskegon for they have seen what has happen over the past year. With the new businesses coming to the downtown area, the summer activities and the new bike trail, it is a very exciting time to be living in Muskegon. I think Baker College will be the turning point of Muskegon, the wise will move first.

yes, I know and it is on western ave and will be announce sometime soon.

Friends of mine have just bought a condo at 297 Clay and are from Spring Lake. They wanted to be in Muskegon for they have seen what has happen over the past year. With the new businesses coming to the downtown area, the summer activities and the new bike trail, it is a very exciting time to be living in Muskegon. I think Baker College will be the turning point of Muskegon, the wise will move first.

• 2 months later...

I am amazed at the developers in downtown Muskegon. So many wonderful things happening... again, I stand amazed. I can't imagine the drive of the developers with all the hoop and roadblocks from fees, permits, taxed, building inspection and the list goes on. I take my hat off to the ones who are making things happen in downtown Muskegon. Go Muskegon

That is good news! I noticed that a couple days ago when I was looking at the webcam. I also noticed the Hines building seems have have the first floor facade up on the west side of their building. I can't wait to see Baker's building get started. If they plan on having it done for the 2009 school year they will have to start by summer of this year.

On another note Mike Teeter of Capstone Real Estate (The developer of the Hines Building) had this to say in the Downtown Muskegon Blog

I wonder if that is the other project Gary Post and his mystery partner are looking at doing. I also wonder what the second project downtown is, he doesn't say a word about it.

• 2 weeks later...

The last year has seen a lot of progress downtown. Here are some pictures of a few of the projects.

This turned out dark, but you can see the Hines building and the Sidock building being built accross from each other.

2254078342_21248f141b_b.jpg

Hegg's is open, the buildings on both sides are being worked on and the new Hines building is on the left of the photo.

2253278113_d0888e8608_b.jpg

Two stores that have opened downtown within the last year. (Jilly's really needs to remove the Muskegon Mercantile sign)

2254072532_f0c5612b32_b.jpg

2008 should be another year of growth downtown.

The Muskegon Main Street Design Committee approved a facade grant to Jilly's today to replace the section of the awning that says the former store name. Also, look for a new protruding sign soon.

The last year has seen a lot of progress downtown. Here are some pictures of a few of the projects.

This turned out dark, but you can see the Hines building and the Sidock building being built accross from each other.

2254078342_21248f141b_b.jpg

Hegg's is open, the buildings on both sides are being worked on and the new Hines building is on the left of the photo.

2253278113_d0888e8608_b.jpg

Two stores that have opened downtown within the last year. (Jilly's really needs to remove the Muskegon Mercantile sign)

2254072532_f0c5612b32_b.jpg

2008 should be another year of growth downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently there have been a couple of articles in the paper that are related to futue progress downtown.

Foundation Giving Sets Record

The $10.2 million in gifts to the Foundation, which began receiving gifts in 1971, is striking because it came when the economy was struggling as opposed to the past top-giving year, 1999, when the dot-com stock-market boom was at its zenith.

Community Foundation officials said the increase in gifts shows a vote of confidence in how the foundation uses those dollars, such as its efforts to rebuild downtown Muskegon.

New construction on the "city center" site of the former Muskegon Mall and the foundation purchase of the nearby former MichCon property for parking and future development were clear signs of progress, McGuigan said.

Hopefully this time I have fixed the posting of pictures...

Basement wall was removed and found this door, more surprises were uncovered

2321032941_6d172eb6a9_b.jpg

Again more walls were removed and we found these picture windows all along the Second Street area

2321033397_cbe9951810_b.jpg

After the wall was completely removed. Under the sidewalk along Second Street by the bank is a hallway for at one time had stairway for entrances into the basement

2331098582_c6d2ae860b_b.jpg

One more looking towards Western Avenue, to the far right of the pix there is a fireplace with the original mantels, that I will start working on here in the next couple of week in re-furbishing.

2330271005_fa658e6b31_b.jpg

This is what the bank looked like in January 2003

2331110656_10a14e91e6_b.jpg

Now we can enjoy the bank with the new windows, in a week or so the front door will be put in place as new glass for the rear door and window.

2330270909_69e3f9672b_b.jpg

All in all Muskegon is coming back with developers with a vision...

2331110656_10a14e91e6_b.jpg

Archived