DASH Lot 5 on the market

GRDadof3

On the May 9th City Commission agenda:

7) Resolution authorizing the advertisement for sale of 111 Ionia SW - Parking Lot 5

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.pl?m...484&type=agenda

as was discussed in the movie theater thread:

140484146_00c74546a4.jpg

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...l=movie+theater

Even though developers already have their eyes on Lot 5, I think it has to go up for public sale?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one, but . . . . now there will be even LESS parking!

You all have to understand that those of us who don't come downtown every day don't necessarily know where all the parking is, what with all the lots being sold, construction blocking streets, one-way hell, and congestion from special events.

I don't mind walking, I don't even mind parking in ramps (although getting stuck on the top floor is quite annoying). I just want to park the car!

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one, but . . . . now there will be even LESS parking!

There are 11 parking lots in that map!

I think that it does have to go up for pubic sale, however the highest bidder does not always get the land. Often times a developer will have to provide information as to what he plans on doing and the municipality can sell based on how the potential development will influence the community.

One thing that would be nice to see is a use that has underground or an internal parking structure. Some urban area have started to create parking structures that will have office and retail uses on the outer walls. That way, parking would be retained and new economic opportunities will be introduced.

I believe the city has to bend over backwards to ensure the sale process of city-owned land is fair and open to all potential developers. I would guess this process would be like the riverfront property on market, no?

I don't mind walking, I don't even mind parking in ramps (although getting stuck on the top floor is quite annoying). I just want to park the car!

I'd say the highest congestion rate for that area of parking is going to come with an event at the arena. Now given the fact that I've been to a hockey game this year where it was sold out and standing room only, and Lot 5 wasn't even opened to be used (and Lot 4 only filled to half capacity), I think this side of city can afford to have this lot sold and put to a more productive use.

Ground floor retail on Ionia AND Oakes Streets please.

No! More blank walls! No one walks around in a city anyway. :P

Well, really I can't wait to see Ionia become more walled in on that side (with Tall House and whatever devopment goes here).

Archived