Sears Crosstown

soverbey

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard any new rumors about the Sears Crosstown Bldg? Who owns it and why doesn't the city or the neighborhood try and get them to do something about it?

Well, something was posted a few months ago about a group that was going to redevelop it. I haven't heard or read anything since.

Its one of the CCC's Top Ten development sites in Memphis. Its alot of space and the building isn't in good shape so whoever wants to develop it has a huge task ahead. IMO an IKEA would fit in so well.

sears-xtown-color-2_400.jpg

13101A.jpg

Since its so big, a hotel might be feasible as well when Biotech gets going.

Man, I think you gotta turn it into a multi-use development. I can see potential there for a portion of it, maybe the front by the tower, used in a cultural/educational/retail aspect, with a focus on ethnic diversity and maybe immigration. Given the ethnic diversity of the immediate area, with stores and restaurants from Asia, Africa, the Mediterranean and South America, this could be a good anchor project to bring all of that together. Maybe an incubator for immigrant entrepreneurs, complete with INS, language, education, and business services/providers. There could be a trade aspect to part of the facility, make it a duty-free zone, and bring in crafts from around the world (one of the overlooked ideas for the Pyramid).

Let's say the entire ground floor and the front portion are dedicated to retail, education, and culture. there's still a ton of space for a hotel (if you want to create a conference center there) as well as apartments/condos. And the vast sea of asphalt provides opportunities for expansion.

Turn it into a destination and the catalyst for redevelopment in the immediate area. I really think it could be used to help boost the international profile of Memphis, with the right project and enough support.

Gorgeous building. I just wish I had the money to buy it myself.

Man, I think you gotta turn it into a multi-use development. I can see potential there for a portion of it, maybe the front by the tower, used in a cultural/educational/retail aspect, with a focus on ethnic diversity and maybe immigration. Given the ethnic diversity of the immediate area, with stores and restaurants from Asia, Africa, the Mediterranean and South America, this could be a good anchor project to bring all of that together. Maybe an incubator for immigrant entrepreneurs, complete with INS, language, education, and business services/providers. There could be a trade aspect to part of the facility, make it a duty-free zone, and bring in crafts from around the world (one of the overlooked ideas for the Pyramid).

Let's say the entire ground floor and the front portion are dedicated to retail, education, and culture. there's still a ton of space for a hotel (if you want to create a conference center there) as well as apartments/condos. And the vast sea of asphalt provides opportunities for expansion.

Turn it into a destination and the catalyst for redevelopment in the immediate area. I really think it could be used to help boost the international profile of Memphis, with the right project and enough support.

Gorgeous building. I just wish I had the money to buy it myself.

I think a project like that would be better suited for the Mall of Memphis site because the developer can repersent not only the food and history, but the architecture as well. Theres more room and Interstate visibility won't hurt. There is a growing African population in Whitehaven and a growing Hispanic population in Hickory Hill. I think Crosstown and Little Sagion should merge into another cultural destination (our version of China Town).

I agree with clobber, wish i had the money to develop this property, what a developer might consider is given the immense size of the bldg, maybe somehow tearing down the back portion and reducing its size maybe making this more viable for a project while keeping the tower in the front.

I believe this building suffers the same problem as the Sterick, too much space and way too much restoration needed.

Archived