Your Favorite Skyline?

atownrocks

Which U.S. city besides New York or Chicago has a the best large skyline.(by large I mean dense and tall).

Mine would have to be: Seattle or Philly.

Mid-Size:Atlanta, Charlotte,Houston,Dallas,Nashville Denver,L.A. and Boston

Small:Austin, Portland, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Raleigh and Orlando.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am slightly biased as my name would imply. But my favorite skyline overall is Sydney.

Larger Cities (1,000,000+): Sydney, Hong Kong, Chicago

Mid-sized cities (500,000-999,999): Charlotte

Smaller Cities (499,999-): Pittsburgh; Gold Coast, AU

I am slightly biased as my name would imply. But my favorite skyline overall is Sydney.

Larger Cities (1,000,000+): Sydney, Hong Kong, Chicago

Mid-sized cities (500,000-999,999): Charlotte

Smaller Cities (499,999-): Pittsburgh; Gold Coast, AU

Yes I was talking about U.S. cities, but I must say that Sydney does have one of the most beautiful skyline ever. I have always wanted to visit Australia I have always heard that Sydney is such a great city and I've heard that everyone is so nice. BTW what is the weather like in Sydney. I have always wondered.

Yes I was talking about U.S. cities, but I must say that Sydney does have one of the most beautiful skyline ever. I have always wanted to visit Australia I have always heard that Sydney is such a great city and I've heard that everyone is so nice. BTW what is the weather like in Sydney. I have always wondered.

Take Charlotte's weather and subtract winter. It rarely gets horribly hot (+100) just like here. During the "winter" season it gets chilly. Kind of like how March was, not warm, not cold. Most of the year it is perfect. 65-80 F. The day I left to come to Charlotte I do have to say was the hottest I had seen there in awhile. That was 107 on December 1st. I lived 10 miles further inland though, so the city was normally much cooler during the heat waves.

Take Charlotte's weather and subtract winter. It rarely gets horribly hot (+100) just like here. During the "winter" season it gets chilly. Kind of like how March was, not warm, not cold. Most of the year it is perfect. 65-80 F. The day I left to come to Charlotte I do have to say was the hottest I had seen there in awhile. That was 107 on December 1st. I lived 10 miles further inland though, so the city was normally much cooler during the heat waves.

Thank's for the info. BTW are you living in Charlotte now or Sydney.

Yeah in population but I am talking about in size and density. Houston skyline is not as big as Philly or Seattle.

LOL! What planet are you on?

Seatle only has four buildings over 200 meters.

Atlanta has nine over 200 meters

Houston has FOURTEEN over 200 meters.

And Philly isn't even close.

I agree, Houston does have a pretty large skyline. Can't argue with that.

Your right I just got done looking at Houston photo's I guess I never relized how big is is. It really is a nice skyline. It is kind of like Atlanta.

Which U.S. city besides New York or Chicago has a the best large skyline.(by large I mean dense and tall).

Mine would have to be: Seattle or Philly.

Mid-Size:Atlanta, Charlotte,Houston,Dallas,Nashville Denver,L.A. and Boston

Small:Austin, Portland, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Raleigh and Orlando.

I think you may be categorizing skylines here instead of cities, which is fine, but have you ever seen Atlanta's total skyline? I would definitely place it above Charlotte's and Nashville's, and in the same league as Houston's, Dallas's, and Boston's--and I would put those in the same league as Seattle and Philly.

Des Moines is a favorite of mine, as a small city. I'd definitely throw in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis as well (either mid-sized or large).

but seattle is more dense than houston

houston

post-1742-1146378541_thumb.jpg

seattle, two views

post-1742-1146378673_thumb.jpg

post-1742-1146378814_thumb.jpg

I never really appreciated Seattle's skyline until I saw that picture with Mount Ranier. Hope it doesn't erupt anytime soon, wouldn't be much of a skyline then.

I think you may be categorizing skylines here instead of cities, which is fine, but have you ever seen Atlanta's total skyline? I would definitely place it above Charlotte's and Nashville's, and in the same league as Houston's, Dallas's, and Boston's--and I would put those in the same league as Seattle and Philly.

Des Moines is a favorite of mine, as a small city. I'd definitely throw in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis as well (either mid-sized or large).

Oh I have seen Atlanta skyline I am an Atlanta native. It is a great city. To me Atlanta has one of the best skyline in the country. I guess what I was doing was saying is that Philly to me is more dense and Seattle is to. Atlanta's is very spread out, you can really see how far it goes when you are atop of Stone Mountian or Kennesaw Mountian. Now if Atlanta's skyline was more dense it would be one of the largest. I'd say in the next 20 years Atlanta will be there. In fact I would say that Buckhead' skyline will soon campare to cities like Nashville's and Birmingham at the rate it's going. (I really miss Atlanta). :(:cry:

I travel to Seattle occassionally via ferry, and yes the skyline has fabulous density. BUT......there aren't really that many exemplary high-rises. Of course the Space Needle, and the Smith Tower are fabulous:) And Washington Mutual Tower is statuesque and elegant. But graceless 1980s glass boxes predominate. Unfortunately even Seattle's newest major tower is a variation on the glass box.......

I think Philadelphia is wonderful! and of course we all love Charlotte:)

Oh I have seen Atlanta skyline I am an Atlanta native. It is a great city. To me Atlanta has one of the best skyline in the country. I guess what I was doing was saying is that Philly to me is more dense and Seattle is to. Atlanta's is very spread out, you can really see how far it goes when you are atop of Stone Mountian or Kennesaw Mountian. Now if Atlanta's skyline was more dense it would be one of the largest. I'd say in the next 20 years Atlanta will be there. In fact I would say that Buckhead' skyline will soon campare to cities like Nashville's and Birmingham at the rate it's going. (I really miss Atlanta). :(:cry:

no doubt about it that atlanta would have one of the largest skylines, with midtown and downtown and buckhead if you were actually able to really group that in the downtown district it would have such amazine density, but unfortunately I-75 gives you such an unfortunate boundary, downtown atlanta is just not as dense as it should be its just so linear.

Dense Skylines: seattle, chicagos (yea I realize its a completely different class of city) vancouver, melbourne's, philly, sao paulo, are all so dense

look at atlanta's skyline vs. vancouver and sao paulo

atlanta

post-1742-1146385124_thumb.jpg

sao paulo

post-1742-1146385180_thumb.jpg

vancouver

post-1742-1146385347_thumb.jpg

thats density, thats what atlanta lacks, and really has no opportunity to have, I mean there is opportunity, just they haveta think inside the box if that makes sense, atlanta they seem to think in a staightline, which is peachttree, yea its the most driven street in the city but they haveta go further than spring and peachtree. When I say further I mean east west instead of north south. In charlotte i think we have that opportunity, because we have a large chunk of land to work with that is not too limited by highways, until you get 277 and we are already starting to build outside of it, but there is so many surface in charlotte, that all we haveto do is bulldose some lots and bam density density density, Atlanta is just the victim of poor city planning in my opinion which has created lots of sprawl, and lots of traffic and congestion. I realize the two cities I used for examples of density do not rival atlanta for building height, but as much as most of us hate to believe Urban developement isn't about height its about density, urban planet, althought a lot of it is devoted to the developement of skyscrapers, is not about height either, its about density, at least thats what I think.

keep in mind sao paulo is kinda outta atlantas league, sao paulo has 10million+ people, and atlanta the city itself is in the 400-500k range, but I think they are economically comparable.

Vancouver on the other hand, is in the same boat as atlanta but has 150 more highrises, and is in canada, which last time I checked wasn't known for its skylines, except the tallest freestanding structure on the globe at least for another 2 years

I just had a realization about atlanta tho and I-75, but is it just me but does I-75 kinda create an unnatural coastline in atlanta, if that makes sense, because thats what its like in my opinion, because what other cities look like atlanta? cities with coastlines. I mean I-75 is wide but why can't you build accross it its not a body of water

I wil post my favourite skylines when I wake up in the morning, sorry if I took this horribly off topic, just sharing my opinon on what atownrocks said. Actually it really isn't off topic, score!

post-1742-1146385124_thumb.jpg

post-1742-1146385180_thumb.jpg

post-1742-1146385347_thumb.jpg

Buckhead already is as big as B'ham or Nashville in terms of office space. That is prety amazng when you think about it.

A2

largest Cities in USA

1 NYC (pic by flash) 8,143,197

post-1742-1146425415_thumb.jpg

2 LA 3,845,541

la_skyline_1.jpg

3.Chicago 2,862,244

ChicagoSkylineBig.JPG

check out this pic of chicago

http://hafd.org/~jordanb/junk/hermpano.jpg

Chicago and NYC kick the crap outta LA, but then again Chicago I think has the second best in the world, behind Hong Kong. Chicago surpassed NYC for unfortunate reasons, :-( the falling of the world trade centers.

post-1742-1146425415_thumb.jpg

I've always been somewhat enamored with edge city skylines. My favorite is the Ashford, Dunwoody skyline which borders the northern edge of I-285 in Atlanta. Flanked by ultra modern office towers, hotels and high rise condos. It has a style all it's own.

I also like the Galleria edge city in Houston which borders the western edge of I-610. More modern towers.

I am a real fan of inspiring architecture. Buildings that you look at and wonder "how in the heck did they do that?" My favorite Charlotte building in the new Westin on Stonewall St. but for the most part I think the designs for 90% of Charlotte's buildings are are somewhat benign.

Overseas, Singapore gets my thumbs up for prettiest skyline. And cleanest city too!

Charlotte towers, at this point, all scream banking. Nothing truely stands out as really something of note. Hearst is an interesting concept, but they blended it too well with BOA Corp. 201 N Tryon probably has the most unique overall shape along with Charlotte Plaza which I have called the "Darth Vader building" (mainly because of the black glass standing out moreso than the surrounding blues) since I saw it the first time when I was little.

Archived