St. Johns Hotel and Tower

july555

Well, as reported in today's Times Union developer Bayard Spector presented his plans for The St. John Hotel and Residences.

I like the idea of a 68 story in downtown, but I think this design is a bit ugly. Furthermore, I wish developers would get a little more original and stop naming everything "St. John" this and "St. John" that. Imagine trying to give someone directions around downtown in a few years. Everything will be named Riverplace this or St. Johns that.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._21498352.shtml

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I think the tower lacks originality and is, in fact, ugly. Looks like something from the late 50's - and not in a good way.

I also agree with the name thing. St. John's county is the only thing big-headed enough to be named after the river. Everything in Jacksonville should try to be unique.

Speaking of St. John's county - I love the sign that says "Welcome to Ponte Vedra Beach, St. John's County, FL." It might as well say "YOU SHOULD THANK GOD YOU'RE NOT IN JACKSONVILLE ANYMORE - AND WE DON'T WANT YOU TO FORGET IT!"

1)

First off, you guys are forgetting the other projects that will be directly & somewhat directly across from this therefore eliminating that "sticking out" view when this is finished. Such projects are Berkman Plaza II, The Shipyards, & St. John's Pointe.

2)

I do not have a problem whatsoever with the design because I am sure it will look nicer in real life (as is most things that have renderings).

3)

The only thing I do not like is the fact that it will only be taller than the BoA tower by over 30ft, yet this building is 68 floors for a residential. I know that hotels do not usually have high floor-to-ceiling heights, but they could at least up the floor-to-ceiling heights on the condos over 9 feet. If I was in the market to purchase a condo in this project especially at the prices they are charging for them, I would at least like a condo where the ceiling height is at least 10 ft, if not 11 or maybe even 12. If they stay true to this, it could definitely push the building upwards over 700ft or maybe even close to 800 ft.

4)

If they do not increase the ceiling height, they could at least add a lighting fixture or whatever on the top of the building to make it stand out at night instead of just one tall building with room lights on.

Here we are again... ridicuously low cieling heights in these residences. 650' / 68 stories = 9'7" per floor, roughly. Add in the fact that the first story will undoubtedly be much taller, and you're looking at close to 9' per floor... on top of that, add in the duct work, piping, flooring, padding, sheetrock, carpet, etc... and you're talking about cieling heights of 8' or less... there is just no way...

I am wondering if this isn't one of those proposals where they understate the height of the building so someone doesn't scream bloody murder. If this building remains 68 stories tall, I say it tops out around 750' with a flat top, or closer to 775' or even 800' it they put a decorative top on it.

We shall see, but the listed height of 650' just seems way, way off by today's cieling height standards! Consider this... the Peninsula, slated to be 36 stories, is also slated to be 407'. That is an average of 11'4" per floor. If you took that standard and applied it to this building, you would get a building height of roughly 769'.

The bottom line is that I think this building either sheds floors to end up at 650' or will top out over 750' if it maintains it's 68-floor status. Either way, it will be a great center-piece for the new 3rd skyline in Jacksonville... the Stadium District. I wish someone with a good grasp of photoshop would cut and paste these proposed buildings around the stadium, it will truly be a 3rd skyline!

I actually really like this design. I think it's another one of those that looks better in real life than in the rendering...It will seem a little out of place, but once Berkman II, the Shipyards, and St. Johns Pointe are developed, we're going to have the northbank from the CBD to the stadium filling in very nicely!

• 1 month later...

Archived