3700 Glenwood

Damien

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like this is just inside the beltline, although it's further out than just about anyone would bother to walk on Glenwood. There's a number of office buildings in that neighborhood, and it looks like like one is going to be a tear-down / rebuild of one of them. A number of the office buildings on Glenwood have structured parking, which is good, but they stick their parking decks right up on Glenwood (like this one) which isn't good.

I don't think this project is anything to get excited about.

The parking decks fronting Glenwood will only add to one of the most pedestrian *unfriendly* areas I've ever had the displeasure of walking in. My radiator had sprung a leak and I needed to get from this site to a gas station. The Glenwood/440 intersection does not make any accomodations for pedestrians, even though the apartment tower is right there, and they widened the greenway to try to stop valley flooding.

Many trees have been taken out in the process, but they were pines and this is the city of oaks.

The website brags about how close it is to RDU and downtown, but the same could be said about the shopping center near Oberlin or the office buildings on the hill from Creedmoor towards Pleasant Valley.

Maybe not perfect or like North Hills, but I think could be worse. I don't see Glenwood or that part right before the Beltline as ever being pedestrian friendly. It looks like it is the part of the Koger center which is a very tired place that needs replacement that is boxed in by CC Hills, Glenwood and the beltline, so pedestrian is limited.

At least there is a hotel and with all the room left in the Koger center, they may even get restaurants and such in the future and tie in something more. Someone who would stay in the hotel would walk to the meetings in the office park. Right now, they are staying at Crabtree or further away. Boutique hotel yes and maybe over used, but considerably that Raleigh does not even have one yet, I am OK with it. Especially since the same spot was going to have a 4-star hotel on the same site but killed when the Solie center passed.

What will really drive more retail, restaurants in this place will be the redevelopment of Glenwood Towers across the street, but who is willing to cross Glenwood? Maybe !!!

I just think this is much better than what is there. I have roamed this places on foot and bike as I grew up right around the corner.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not perfect or like North Hills, but I think could be worse. I don't see Glenwood or that part right before the Beltline as ever being pedestrian friendly. It looks like it is the part of the Koger center which is a very tired place that needs replacement that is boxed in by CC Hills, Glenwood and the beltline, so pedestrian is limited.

One big problem with this area of land is the NIMBYs in CC Hills who have fought connectivity to this property since day one, dooming it to being car-oriented only, and putting all of its pressure on the intersection with Glenwood Ave.

If there's one thing I learned in the ice storm it's that Raleigh's development around 440 and outward has serious connectivity problems. I mean, really. Do streets like Cowper Drive, Oxford Drive, White Oak Road, Lake Boone Trail, etc have traffic problems? NO! There are so many ways to get around that part of town that the non-arteries really don't have any pressure put on them.

The parking decks fronting Glenwood will only add to one of the most pedestrian *unfriendly* areas I've ever had the displeasure of walking in. My radiator had sprung a leak and I needed to get from this site to a gas station. The Glenwood/440 intersection does not make any accomodations for pedestrians, even though the apartment tower is right there, and they widened the greenway to try to stop valley flooding.

Many trees have been taken out in the process, but they were pines and this is the city of oaks.

The website brags about how close it is to RDU and downtown, but the same could be said about the shopping center near Oberlin or the office buildings on the hill from Creedmoor towards Pleasant Valley.

Looking at the site plan it is too bad that they have this "formal" drive in front of these two buildings. The parking deck and the building are separate components and for the people that work there they will enter the "back" of the building instead of the front. The whole campus design is "introverted" with no activation at the street level. But this is typical for a speculative office building.

I hope the city has plans to look at this area. Seems like the "densification" (if this is an approprate word to use?) going on here would spur pedestrian movement, but things are still fragmented into pieces and parts. I have driven by the mall at times and have seen people from the Embassy Suites walk to the mall across Glenwood....some brave souls to cross this major street. :shok: So maybe the opportunites are on the side streets feeding Glenwood in this area.

One big problem with this area of land is the NIMBYs in CC Hills who have fought connectivity to this property since day one, dooming it to being car-oriented only, and putting all of its pressure on the intersection with Glenwood Ave.

If there's one thing I learned in the ice storm it's that Raleigh's development around 440 and outward has serious connectivity problems. I mean, really. Do streets like Cowper Drive, Oxford Drive, White Oak Road, Lake Boone Trail, etc have traffic problems? NO! There are so many ways to get around that part of town that the non-arteries really don't have any pressure put on them.

I almost always take the back roads. St. Mary's to North Hills, Anderson to Six Forks...it is much easier and nicer than taking the beltline to places.

Do streets like Cowper Drive, Oxford Drive, White Oak Road, Lake Boone Trail, etc have traffic problems? NO! There are so many ways to get around that part of town that the non-arteries really don't have any pressure put on them.

ITB has virtually zero traffic because of this, and it shows why the old idea of lots of small interconnected streets works much better than a few large thoroughfares with little connectivity between them (OTB).

ITB has virtually zero traffic because of this, and it shows why the old idea of lots of small interconnected streets works much better than a few large thoroughfares with little connectivity between them (OTB).
Although to tell the whole story, the area currently ITB sees essentially no through traffic, except for a few cars on US401 (Saunders-Dawson/McDowell-Capital). Nearly all of the through traffic in town takes the Beltline or I-40 instead. So large, high-volume thoroughfares do have a purpose.

OTB the interconnection is so poor, however, that I-540 doesn't seem to help. I've noticed the cross-streets OTB (Millbrook, Lynn, Strickland, Durant) have generally manageable traffic. It's the spokes (Glenwood, Six Forks, Capital, etc) that get bogged down.

Although to tell the whole story, the area currently ITB sees essentially no through traffic, except for a few cars on US401 (Saunders-Dawson/McDowell-Capital). Nearly all of the through traffic in town takes the Beltline or I-40 instead. So large, high-volume thoroughfares do have a purpose.

OTB the interconnection is so poor, however, that I-540 doesn't seem to help. I've noticed the cross-streets OTB (Millbrook, Lynn, Strickland, Durant) have generally manageable traffic. It's the spokes (Glenwood, Six Forks, Capital, etc) that get bogged down.

For some reason, Lead Mine Road or Creedmoor never seems that bad to me. I always take this road and then cross on Millbrook, Sawmill, Lynn or Mine Shaft to get where I need to instead of taking the beltline.

Archived