Century Plaza

mallguy

• 1 year later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Century Plaza continues to decline and at least 60 storefronts are empty, with Sears the only anchor left in the mall that now closes at 7 pm. Redevelopment options are being discussed for the property, which is probably worth far less than the $32 million that Chicago-based General Growth Properties paid for it. A few months ago Mayor Langford mentioned a city and county partnership to convert it into a senior citizens recreation complex, but there isn't enough support for it on the city council. Nearby Eastwood Mall was successfully redeveloped into a shopping center and some industry observers believe Century Plaza will eventually meet a similar fate.

Already on the decline, Century Plaza faces tougher times in slumping economy

• 1 month later...

Sears is closing.

Well, as I guess some serious proposals could finally come to fruition about what to do at that property since the mall should be closing very soon...can you say mixed-used a la SoHo Homewood? I will surely miss that place. It was sooo good at one point. It is really sad that the city will not have a mall anymore(as most major cities have at least one-I assume). I guess if you count The Summit, we do have a mall, just not an enclosed. I really hope that the mixed-used idea comes back up, and the property to be changed into something like that. I would love to see some medium-sized towers in that area too. Perhaps the mall site could be changed into a office park. I guess time will only tell.

Well, I see the faux crime problems (note that there hasn't been any actual documented homicides that occurred at Century Plaza, but Riverchase has seen 2), along with piss-poor management of General Growth (who abandoned the mall when it got half stake in Riverchase), and other regional centers have all contributed to its demise. Well, all we can hope that a major redevelopment towards mixed-used is in the works for that Eastwood/Crestwood shopping district.

The only thing in the works at the moment for the Century Plaza area is the ALDI being constructed on the old empty parking lot adjacent to the Sears Auto Center.

• 3 months later...

It really sad that CP had now closed...it will truly be missed. I think this topic should be changed to something along the lines of, "Redevelopment purposes for the former Century Plaza or the CP lot." Perhaps we should just allow this thread to die, and just start a new one.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived