FSU Master Plan

stjoe

^ I went to Berry College, which is just outside of Rome, Georgia in the Appalachian foothills. The deer on campus outnumber the students at least 7 to 1!

http://www.berry.edu/

Before transfering to Berry I got my AA from TCC. Two very different schools, but I enjoyed them both!

went to uga in athens...have not been up to north georgia in quite sometime......would like to see a fsu campus and a vibrant gaines st. integrate like that of uga's campus and downtown.

g

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen UGA and Athens, I think I even posted some pictures of it on here somewhere... I'd take FSU over that anyday!!!

going to nitpick taureanj......what about fsu would you take over uga and athens? the campus borders and amazing little downtown. studied there......after class i would take a short walk through old campus cross one street and there sat restaurants, cafes, music stores, bars, theatres, and clothing shops....it is ideal and gaines st. ....i hope....ends up like this.....you would take fsu over that?.....would you be referring to crossing over tennessee st and eating at mcdonalds? or would it be miami subs? :D

all in good fun :lol:

The idea of using Innovation park to house programs came up. It never went very far, since the idea of being away from the locus of power in Westcott was not appealing to professors. ANother issue that was brought up at one point in the COGS presentation I went to last year that Mark Bertilaume (I hope I spelled it right), the campus planner, spoke at is that the state program that allows universities to buy land has no money in it, thus keeping FSU from being able to buy adjacent property, which is where the issue with the Village and Symphony came in.

The idea of using Innovation park to house programs came up. It never went very far, since the idea of being away from the locus of power in Westcott was not appealing to professors. ANother issue that was brought up at one point in the COGS presentation I went to last year that Mark Bertilaume (I hope I spelled it right), the campus planner, spoke at is that the state program that allows universities to buy land has no money in it, thus keeping FSU from being able to buy adjacent property, which is where the issue with the Village and Symphony came in.

dude dude dude, write your reps. and gov. and let them know to fund fsu land acquisition program.

lates

g

Whats the presubmital in the Dem about Pensicola condos a block of the stadium! TK heartatack in the works no doubt.... no chance...

could not find it online, must be in the paper........obviously i support fsu's master plan and will continue to express that to the commissioners. in addition, will continue to write reps, senators, and the gov. and tell him to fund the land program....

:shades:

Whats the presubmital in the Dem about Pensicola condos a block of the stadium! TK heartatack in the works no doubt.... no chance...

Actually, it is not within the "beltway" of FSU's desired expansion. Even if it were, TK wouldn't be upset. He was upset that the city willy nilly changed zoning laws that FSU and the city had a gentlemen's agreement on.

But don't let the facts stop you for the typical "I hate FSU post" you often throw in.

Tell us about this "gentleman's agreement" please. When did it occur and what people were responible for it? I'm not denying that it existed, I'm just curious about the details.

So what was the City to do, w/the way the State government doesn't fund universities for buying land, the entire area surrounding FSU was and is turning into an eyesore and a slum.

I don't hate FSU, I'm a graduate and love it, but I don't like T.K. as prez., I'd have preferred more of an academic type to lead FSU to glory.

Tell us about this "gentleman's agreement" please. When did it occur and what people were responible for it? I'm not denying that it existed, I'm just curious about the details.

So what was the City to do, w/the way the State government doesn't fund universities for buying land, the entire area surrounding FSU was and is turning into an eyesore and a slum.

I don't hate FSU, I'm a graduate and love it, but I don't like T.K. as prez., I'd have preferred more of an academic type to lead FSU to glory.

Poonther,

I don't TK either as a president. I would also prefer a more academic type for FSU. That is a seperate issue than what I have addressed.

For decades FSU has had the city review it's master plan and the city has worked with FSU on zoning. The minute a developer comes in, all the zoning worked on just disappeared. FSU thought it was BS. They had a beef....were they total right? I doubt it...but they weren't totally wrong either.

My main critique is the individual (and 1 or 2 others) that constantly bring this situation up and misrepresent it and FSU's position.

Some of the same folks that cry of negativism on this board are the same that unnecessarily attack FSU even when it has little to do with the topic and frankly, I am sick of it.

Some of the same folks that cry of negativism on this board are the same that unnecessarily attack FSU even when it has little to do with the topic and frankly, I am sick of it.

As well as Poonther, I love FSU, its my school and I'm proud of that fact. I don't agree with the leadership of the school at times. Yes, there have been times when I had to tip my hat and say "Job well done" such as the case when TK saved our Mascott, but I don't think the priorities are as transparent as they should be. It seems no matter what these days, there's always a hidden agenda. Not a knock on the school as an institution of higher learning, because I love it, if I didn't I wouldn't spend my money there. But when I look at over $600 Million raised in a Capital Campaign, and the type of projects they've chosen to fund with the money I wonder.

I'm absolutely guilty for being hard on TK here on UrbanPlanet and Publicly, I've done it to his face at a city commission meeting, through the news paper, and through e-mail. I'll try to calm my opinions of him, because I do understand it comes across as a knock against our beloved school.

"But when I look at over $600 Million raised in a Capital Campaign, and the type of projects they've chosen to fund with the money I wonder. "

TJ,

I have meet many times with the FSU Foundation and been involved with them a few times. I have seen you mention the FSU Connect campaign a few times and I think there are some things that need to be pointed out. Money raised by FSU are not free to spend by FSU however they see fit. The donors SPECIFICALLY state what the use is for and the FSU Foundation cannot spend it otherwise (there are cases at other universities that have had money taken back when this was tried).

Of the $630 Million raised, about $170 Million was specifically for athletics alone. The donors decide where the money goes.

Another side point, $600 plus million in the world of higher ed these days is chump change. FSU has an endowment of $459 MILLION (Harvard has a $24 BILLION endowment). That gives it an endowment that ranks at #122 in the nation (121 universiites have a larger endowment than FSU). For a school as large as FSU (40 thousand students) and a research university (where costs are high), FSU is relatively poor by comparison.

Other breakdowns are:

"about 74 percent of the funds raised by the Foundation will benefit faculty, staff, and students in the following ways:

General academic support, 38 percent

Student financial aid, 24 percent

Faculty and staff, 12 percent "

more info:

"FSU CONNECT Campaign Progress by unit as of December 31, 2005

Unit

Dollars Achieved

Arts & Sciences

$73,003,426

Business

$46,453,323

Communication

$5,029,415

Criminology

$3,869,398

Education

$13,050,053

Engineering

$3,249,044

Graduate Studies

$11,684,581

Human Sciences

$11,768,345

Information Studies

$3,487,913

Law

$18,307,120

Medicine

$33,514,452

Motion Picture

$3,242,157

Music

$21,305,668

Nursing

$3,057,763

Panama City Campus

$3,989,254

Ringling Cultural Center

$59,978,970

Social Sciences

$31,730,876

Social Work

$5,565,585

Visual Arts/Theatre

$22,615,304

University*

$78,305,283

Seminole Boosters

$172,726,437

Alumni Association

$4,629,408

TOTAL

$630,563,775"

Thanks for your other points.

this was online.. and if the map i looked is correct, it is well inside the plan of fsu... so it will prolly be blocked form existance...

" West Pensacola Street Development - on 0.77 on the south side of West Pensacola Street between Walker and Dunwoody streets. The construction of 54 residential condominium units at a density of 70 units per acre, and 12,699 square feet of retail/commercial space. Zoned UT (University Transition). Time: 1 p.m."

Thanks to stjoe for the very informative breakdown of the capital resources available to FSU through its Connect campaign. I work for FSU, and have withheld comment about the University leadership, but I do want to say that the decisions a University makes about development are almost always pragmatic and driven by immediate physical needs and/or donors' wishes, and not by any desire to slight the intellectual or academic elements of the University, which are fundamental to the institutions' existence. In short, FSU has a long way to go at building the kind of endowment that will give it real leverage in the land market. Until then, expect more density (parking garages, classroom buildings) on the present campus footprint. It is up to developers to make Tennessee, Pensacola, and Gaines desireable areas for living and working.

• 2 weeks later...

The residential site on Tennessee is gonna have an awsome impact on that area. It is going to have more of an impact than i originally pressumed. Its gonna be hot! The density on campus is getting to everyone. An uban campus she will be! might be time for a bridge over tennessee with some Badazz fsu signage!

Hey StJoe did it make you just a little angry at Thrasher today when you read that UCF got their med school? I know I burned inside a little towards him when I read it.

The BOR talked about more medical residencies needed in the State and TK addressed that point too. I think now would be the time to grab Thrasher by the throat (literally) and make him lobby for a true teaching hospital in Tally and of course b/c of his betrayal, he should do it pro bono.

Since St. Joe says they may need a new hospital at their new SouthSide development, why not move forward w/the idea to make that a research/training hospital and start a fund drive among citizens and local companies to help finance it much along the lines of what FIU and UCF did? Just a thought....

Hey StJoe did it make you just a little angry at Thrasher today when you read that UCF got their med school? I know I burned inside a little towards him when I read it.

The BOR talked about more medical residencies needed in the State and TK addressed that point too. I think now would be the time to grab Thrasher by the throat (literally) and make him lobby for a true teaching hospital in Tally and of course b/c of his betrayal, he should do it pro bono.

Since St. Joe says they may need a new hospital at their new SouthSide development, why not move forward w/the idea to make that a research/training hospital and start a fund drive among citizens and local companies to help finance it much along the lines of what FIU and UCF did? Just a thought....

poonther,

Yes it made me angry. Thrasher, Jim King, TK, Jim Smith, and the rest of the good ole boys that run FSU are so corrupt and so no academic...it is why FSU has not moved forward as fast as they should. This and the Chiro deal are so sickening I almost don't want to talk about it.

You can thank Thrasher for helping kill any possibility FSU EVER gets any research/teaching hospital in our area. The man @#$#@$ his own alma mater...and he was a trustee no less.

I could write a thesis on this and other issues, but family calls....

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... for a while, especially when there were two big cranes downtown, it seemed cranes were all over. Glad to see some of them coming down, and a pretty new building in their old place. I can't wait to see the Plaza Tower Crane go up! I'd love to see that birdy fly!

Archived