Greater Birmingham Roads and Freeways

kayman

If the state is going to spend the big bucks to build this, they might as well include the infrastructure for light rail. Federal matching funds could then be used to help pay for it.

I agree with y'all that this thing needs some work to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Now with the Cities of Homewood and Mountain Brook firmly against the construction of this elevated tollroad, the likelihood of it coming to fruition is becoming more and more impossible. Also with Joe McInnes saying what he did last week confirmed that the opposition from Homewood and Mountain Brook is also affecting this projects future more unlikely. I think the solution will be a combination of limiting the road's access, overpasses at all the intersections, and infastructure for BRT & possibly a future LRT line. However, this wouldn't occur for another decade at the very least because of how slow ALDOT is and uncooperative local government officials are.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state is looking to replace the historical U.S. 31 Stone bridge over Lakeshore Drive in Homewood. The MPO have A'OK the allocation of $200K to study how and what to replace this bridge. They want to find a suitable replacement that will fit in with the surrounds like the current structure.

State ponders replacement of bridge over Lakeshore

The state is looking to replace the historical U.S. 31 Stone bridge over Lakeshore Drive in Homewood. The MPO have A'OK the allocation of $200K to study how and what to replace this bridge. They want to find a suitable replacement that will fit in with the surrounds like the current structure.

State ponders replacement of bridge over Lakeshore

I understand the inefficiency of the current interchange/bridge there, but again... you're looking at a historical importance type of thing. It is said to be the oldest clover-leaf design interchange in the South (possibly in America).

Apparently, the majority of members of Regress 280 task force, I meant Progress 280 has given the OK for the 4-lane elevated roadway for the eastern portion. They also vote to halt any further discussion of the roadway in the western portion, for now. <_<

Turning the existing highway into an expressway was first proposed in 1986. Transportation officials dropped it at that time because they deemed it too expensive.

And this roadway suppose to be any cheaper? :rolleyes: Just another example of short-sighted developments by this state.

Apparently, the majority of members of Regress 280 task force, I meant Progress 280 has given the OK for the 4-lane elevated roadway for the eastern portion. They also vote to halt any further discussion of the roadway in the western portion, for now. <_<

And this roadway suppose to be any cheaper? :rolleyes: Just another example of short-sighted developments by this state.

From the article:

However, the project has a number of hurdles to clear and is at least four or five years from completion if the state endorses it, said Brian Davis, a state Department of Transportation engineer for the Birmingham area.

Now I just wonder if people will be willing to pay a toll to use this elevated structure? Because if it is going to be built within the next 25 years, that is probably the only way the money will be available for it.

Still in question are the specifics of cost, interchange locations, and ways an elevated highway would merge into existing lanes at the I-459 junction without more congestion along the 10-mile stretch.

That I would like to know more about too. The elevated highway is going to be pointless if motorists can't access it from the middle of it, and in order to build access to it, additional ROW will be needed, and some sort of transition will be needed.

From the article:

Now I just wonder if people will be willing to pay a toll to use this elevated structure? Because if it is going to be built within the next 25 years, that is probably the only way the money will be available for it.

That I would like to know more about too. The elevated highway is going to be pointless if motorists can't access it from the middle of it, and in order to build access to it, additional ROW will be needed, and some sort of transition will be needed.

That is why I am saying that this elevated roadway won't be any cheaper than ALDOT purchasing the ROW along U.S. 280 and just converting the road into a limited-access highway with access/service roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of unity imperil plans, experts say

THE BIG QUESTION MARK, WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO U.S. HIGHWAY 280?

The shortsightedness of ALDOT and the local governments involved with U.S. 280 has finally come to a head. Nobody knows what to do or what will happen with the future of this roadway. ALDOT has taken a "You guys have to live with it. DOT won't shove it down your throats" approach since nobody wants to agree. It seems this is where the concept of regional cooperation seems to come into the picture. I bet the folks who fought tooth-n-nail to prevent this road from being converted into a freeway back in the 1980's are now kicking themselves for their own stupidity.

Anybody with half a brain knows that an elevate roadway with only 4-lanes is going to at compacity within 5 years of its completion. In other words, it is not a realistic solution.

The shortsightedness of ALDOT and the local governments involved with U.S. 280 has finally come to a head. Nobody knows what to do or what will happen with the future of this roadway. ALDOT has taken a "You guys have to live with it. DOT won't shove it down your throats" approach since nobody wants to agree. It seems where the concept of regional cooperation seems to come into the picture. I bet the folks who fought tooth-n-nail to prevent this road from being converted into a freeway back in the 1980's are now kicking themselves for their own stupidity.

Anybody with half a brain knows that an elevate roadway with only 4-lanes is going to at compacity within 5 years of its completion. In other words, it is not a realistic solution.

Shortsightedness in the 1980's comes full circle now, and now it seems history may repeat itself. I don't particularly agree with the elevated highway for reasons mentioned on here, but if anything is going to come out of ALDOT anytime soon, some plan needs to be agreed upon soon. I think the parkway idea works well, but I can imagine that a lot of people would not be keen to the idea of a 35-mph parkway. I also have a problem with the fact that neither plan presented so far has had all the details worked out.

I still don't think that anything too drastic can or should be done for US 280 inside I-459. I think that the best solution would be a no-build from the Elton B. Stephenson Expressway east to I-459 and urban interchanges and frontage roads from I-459 east to Chelsea (yes I think the planning area should extend that far east, or even further). Traffic inbound for Birmingham or outbound from Birmingham can use the interstate system at I-459 to reach most destinations.

• 3 weeks later...

State reviewing 280 traffic signal plan

ALDOT IS TO MAKE DECISION SOON ON LIMITING TRAFFIC SIGNALS ALONG 280

ALDOT is current reviewing the official request by the Shelby County officials and mayors of municipalities southeast of Hugh Daniel Drive to limit the number of curb cuts and traffic signals, but instead adding direct service roads and using "access management" measures along U.S. 280. This would affect U.S. 280 from Hugh Daniel Drive to the Coosa River bridge.

This would be a wise move considering they are trying to prevent the problems that current exist along the roadway from Red Mountain Expressway to Hugh Daniel Drive now with too many traffic lights and curb cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. 231 BRIDGE WIDENING DELAYED YET AGAIN

The Pell City mayor, Adam Stocks, announced that the bridge widening over I-20 in St. Clair County has been delayed yet again. The bridge is only has two-lanes although it is along a 4-lane roadway through all of Pell City corporate limits. It was to widened from two to six once complete.

The project was originally supposed to have started last summer and been completed by this December, but it has been pushed back to December to start. The excuse as to why is a question to everyone including the State Senator Del Marsh, who represents Pell City and the large portion of St. Clair County. ALDOT strikes yet again.

Now ALDOT is saying that construction on the U.S. 231 bridge over I-20 in St. Clair County could start as early as September. I guess Pell City Mayor Adam Stocks meeting with Riley was very fruitful for this particular situation. It is ashame that construction nowhere in this state highways and roads only get pushed forward after political rangling.

• 1 month later...

Today, I was walking across University Blvd at 20th Street and noticed new crosswalk signs. Now, instead of just the flashing red hand when the light is close to changing, it shows the flashing hand and a countdown timer of like 15 seconds or so to indicate when it actually is going to change.

These may be elsewhere around downtown already, but it's the first one I've seen in Birmingham that I'm aware of. It's a minor convenience, but I think it's an important thing to improve the safety and ease of pedestrian traffic around downtown.

Who is in charge of paving city streets? I would really appreciate it if someone would pave the main corridors like 20th Street, etc., as well as, some of the other streets. Also, when is ALDOT going to add more lanes to I-65 in the center of the metro area...especially around Homewood through Birmingham to the north? It is simply ridiculous that they will not get a move on getting Birmingham's heaviest traveled and Alabama's "main street" updated. The area is growing, and they need to realize that. Also, I-20 in east Birmingham is growing...Moody/Leeds, so ALDOT needs to add more lanes to I-20 to keep up with that growth.

Who is in charge of paving city streets? I would really appreciate it if someone would pave the main corridors like 20th Street, etc., as well as, some of the other streets. Also, when is ALDOT going to add more lanes to I-65 in the center of the metro area...especially around Homewood through Birmingham to the north? It is simply ridiculous that they will not get a move on getting Birmingham's heaviest traveled and Alabama's "main street" updated. The area is growing, and they need to realize that. Also, I-20 in east Birmingham is growing...Moody/Leeds, so ALDOT needs to add more lanes to I-20 to keep up with that growth.

For more fun ALDOT facts, stories and deceptions read the topics in the Huntsville forums.

One general question: is anyone that actually uses roads in this state happy with the results ALDOT is giving them?

ALDOT has become unable to function and we are rapidly reaching a complete transportation meltdown.

The director can only dance around the growing tidal wave for so long, I would expect he will step down/retire

with great fanfare and acolades soon.

There is further evidence of this meltdown when the Governor uses terms like "other funding methods" , "think outside the box", "think toll roads"

in speeches he has recently given in Auburn, Huntsville and Mobile. That's all fine and good but what is the solution in the short term?

ALDOT has basically become an incentive program for industry wanting to set up shop in the state (steel mills, auto plants etc) You locate in the state and any road

transportation needs will be met. This at the expense of projects that have been on the books for decades. A suggestion, complete all the projects that have been started on before doing studies on new projects (I-85 extension, West Alabama toll Rd etc.) If the current projects could be completed quickly (5-8 years) it would change dramatically the needs and requirements. As it is now nothing is getting completed and has become overwhelming. Set up quick action teams in each part of the state to cut through red tape, delays excuses, politics and make it happen.

I think the only way things are going to be able to change on a statewide forefront is to each of us putting pressure on our legislators to force by bugging the hell out of them with legislation to reform the ALDOT. We need to be pushing for the creation of a oversight committee that assures that ALDOT follows through on all the current projects that have been delayed or supposed to have began in the key areas of the state. Riley isn't going to do anything to McInnes because that is his buddy and we all know how that works. :rolleyes: We must do our part to put our foots down and say "enough is enough" with the bulls**t that ALDOT has prepertuated.

The shortsightedness of ALDOT and the local governments involved with U.S. 280 has finally come to a head. Nobody knows what to do or what will happen with the future of this roadway. ALDOT has taken a "You guys have to live with it. DOT won't shove it down your throats" approach since nobody wants to agree. It seems this is where the concept of regional cooperation seems to come into the picture. I bet the folks who fought tooth-n-nail to prevent this road from being converted into a freeway back in the 1980's are now kicking themselves for their own stupidity.

It'll be way too late as the signalized intersections and development keep going west... but if some folks east of B'ham have their way, stretches of 280 will become the eastern leg of I-22 to the Atlantic coast shipyards at Brunswick/Savannah. Savannah was just announced as the 4th busiest and Brunswick's is growing fast. Another Interstate east would be great for Birmingham.

I-22-color.JPG

It'll be way too late as the signalized intersections and development keep going west... but if some folks east of B'ham have their way, stretches of 280 will become the eastern leg of I-22 to the Atlantic coast shipyards at Brunswick/Savannah. Savannah was just announced as the 4th busiest and Brunswick's is growing fast. Another Interstate east would be great for Birmingham.

I-22-color.JPG

Where does that northwest corner of that I-22 go? Springfield, MO or Kansas City, MO?

I have always thought that I-22 should be extended on either end to become part of a plains-to-port road from the Midwest to Jacksonville or Savannah.

Is anyone officially proposing this?

Another question is where would this interstate connect I-65 and/or I-459 in the Greater Birmingham area if it's not aligned with US 280?

That's good question. Which area is least populated for a connection, south or north. It could go either way if it was used to create one of the western bypass segments.

Should be interesting to see how they are going to do this, but I simply think that I-22 should connect to "the Expressway," and travel down 280(280 being at interstate level) for some time before branching away from it completely. This would also make the I-22/280 corridor a TOLL ROAD. I don't really like this idea, but it seems to be the easiest solution.

Should be interesting to see how they are going to do this, but I simply think that I-22 should connect to "the Expressway," and travel down 280(280 being at interstate level) for some time before branching away from it completely. This would also make the I-22/280 corridor a TOLL ROAD. I don't really like this idea, but it seems to be the easiest solution.

Toll Road? Are you refering to a plan for that you've seen? I don't thing that's what the green line means, if that's what you're refering to. But who knows. Tolls on some parts might be in the works, especially since alot of the traffic would probably be semi-s coming from the Atlantic ports.

• 3 weeks later...

After years of footdragging, ALDOT is now finally starting to seriously look into installing or creating a travel-time or speed monitoring of the area's freeways and highways. This will also allow ALDOT to have a regular use of the area traffic messageboard other than just being there for decorations and seasonal "Buckle up" postings.

Stuck in traffic? Sign system will track, time your trip

The system would either be similar to Georgia Navitagator system that is operated by GADOT that monitors Metro Atlanta's traffic via, highway speed monitors, all cell phone tracking based, and cameras or just the hybridized combination of 2 of the 3 ways. The plan also calls for more messageboards to be placed over area freeways and other major arteries like U.S. 280 and AL Highway 79.

This would do a great deal of help for the commuters that travel great distances to get to and from their destinations without getting caught in the traffic.

After years of footdragging, ALDOT is now finally starting to seriously look into installing or creating a travel-time or speed monitoring of the area's freeways and highways. This will also allow ALDOT to have a regular use of the area traffic messageboard other than just being there for decorations and seasonal "Buckle up" postings.

Stuck in traffic? Sign system will track, time your trip

The system would either be similar to Georgia Navitagator system that is operated by GADOT that monitors Metro Atlanta's traffic via, highway speed monitors, all cell phone tracking based, and cameras or just the hybridized combination of 2 of the 3 ways. The plan also calls for more messageboards to be placed over area freeways and other major arteries like U.S. 280 and AL Highway 79.

This would do a great deal of help for the commuters that travel great distances to get to and from their destinations without getting caught in the traffic.

*kneels down and praises the lord*

Archived