Annie Lytle School

Urban_Legend

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know, the highway is going to be pretty frickin close to the building, for some reason i even thought that they (FDOT) were going to have it demolished for the interchange project, and even if they dont it would be hard to attract any type of tenants to that building besides vagrants

The building is structurally sound. Put in triple pane windows and the tenants/owners wouldnt hear a thing. Now, their west views would stink, but you compensate by making them more affordable. The City/State could help by filling in the ditch beneath I-95 and landscaping it in some way with parking spots. Anyway, the project is doable, I promise you. Ask TUC. He converted an old school into apartments in Springfield.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the building is still in good shape structurally, could it be converted into "affordable" loft units. Although the highway is pretty close, I'm sure it could sell out if the units were priced around the $150k range.

It would sell out within hours at that price. That highway being close isn't going to deter anyone from living there. It's within walking to Five Points which is become a major hot spot now. I would camp out overnight to be one of the first ones to purchase a unit there for under $200k.

• 3 weeks later...

:) Hello folks...

This is in reference to the Annie Lytle Elementary School. On 7 February 2006, at 4:15 pm , a City Council meeting will be held. Among other bills is the Bill for the proposed demolition of the School. ( #2006-0024).

you can go online, ( Duval county residents) to www.coj.net. Search for this bill number. On the same website you can comment on your position, and vote in favor of (demolition) or against , OR appear in person at the Jacksonville City Council Meeting.

It is my sincere hope that enough people feel as I do about this very Beautiful and Timely Historic Example of The Neoclassic Architecture. I had the priviledge of being allowed into the building and video and photograph alot of the interior and most of the exterior of the Building, mostly because i fear it will soon be a thing of the past. It is Appaling, to say the very least , what 30 years of vacancy and vandalism , and 89 years of age has done to the condition of this incredible piece of history. I am no carpenter or Architect, but i firmly belive this building CAN and SHOULD be saved, however so long as any type of FOR PROFIT business wants to do anything with it , it is my belief that it will either get torn down or remain vacant. The reason? Most if not all of the Rehabilitation costs falls on the Developer/Purchaser. This is in part why, at least I belive, no proposal has ever flown with regard to the renovation of this school. One member of Urban commented that a Community center should occupy it. I totally agree, seeing as it is the Taxpayer dollars that would be used to do this project. According to the latest Developer , between 8 and 9 million. Personally, I dont take that as gospel. I think depending on what type of business, whether profit or non-profit, figures can be made to either work or not, and someone in a for-profit business is obviously in it to make money. So to a degree, I see why this doesnt seem feasible to save. SO , to that I say. the building needs to go either to the City of Jacksonville, to be utilized in someway , like the community center , which i think is a fantasic idea, or a non-profit or group of non-profit organizations to occupy it, or even affordable loft housing. To me , nothing else i can think of will fly. I hope the current proposal to demolish is denied, and frankly, also hope that then , this current developer seeks out another piece of property to buy, preferably a vacant lot.

Now id like to share something i read about Historic Preservation. This Article was by a author and economic development professional , by the name of Donovan Rypkema, who is NOT , per se a preservationist. This is to quote the article....

"In Florida, $1million spent rehabilitating a older building creates 36.9 Jobs--20 in the construction industry and 17 elsewhere in the economy. That is-- about 2 more jobs than the same amount spent in new construction."

"In Florida, $1million of HISTORIC PRESERVATION creates NINE more jobs than manufactoring a million dollars of electronic equipment, EIGHT more jobs per million, than a million dollars of wholesale activity,and EIGHT more jobs than producing a million dollars of agricultural products. HISTORIC PRESERVATION means jobs for Florida."

"In Florida, $1million spent rehabilitating an HISTORIC building ultimately adds OVER $2MILLION to the state's economy."

That alone is food for thought, when one poses the question, is THIS historic Landmark worth saving?

sorry for the lengthy post. I really wish to see this beautiful school saved. Regards :D

Archived