Ovation Condo

HSVTiger

• 1 month later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no real surprise here the developer blew it and probably meant to.

This is no real loss, it's a good thing actually, there will be better projects to come along.

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Agreed-upon downtown restaurant still in doubt; condo rights may be lost

The Big Spring Summit project downtown may have reached its peak.

Nearly a year after a divided City Council gave Triad Properties another chance to put a restaurant in the office building before allowing construction of a condominium tower next door, Triad executive William Stroud cast uncertainty over whether either project will materialize.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

You're right. This is probably a good thing.

I don't really understand the requirement to have a resturant tenant signed in order for the other to progress. It seems to me that the city should have the ability to "zone" floors of a downtown building just like they "zone" land throughout the city. I don't mind there not being a resturant in place, just as long as it sits empty and they don't fill that space with a law firm or something. It seems like it would be easier to get a resturant in there after there were 20+ families living right next door.

All that being said, Triad didn't really seem to be envisioning anything very special, so I'm glad they are going to move on.

Finally! From the Huntsville Times article posted above...

"Several other downtown-area condominiums are in the talking stages, and their success or failure could signal whether the market is viable for Triad's proposed 40-plus unit Ovation Condominiums development.

The other projects include up to 80 planned condos for the $150 million Constellation office/condo/retail/twin hotel project between the Von Braun Center and Memorial Parkway; a proposed major makeover of 200 West Side Square with condos overlooking the east end of Big Spring International Park by the rocky bluff; and a possible renovation of the old Lincoln Mill building along Meridian Street with a mix of residential, office and retail venues."

On the Ovation project, they said "condo living downtown is just not accepted yet..." They should have advertised more.

Finally! From the Huntsville Times article posted above...

"Several other downtown-area condominiums are in the talking stages, and their success or failure could signal whether the market is viable for Triad's proposed 40-plus unit Ovation Condominiums development.

The other projects include up to 80 planned condos for the $150 million Constellation office/condo/retail/twin hotel project between the Von Braun Center and Memorial Parkway; a proposed major makeover of 200 West Side Square with condos overlooking the east end of Big Spring International Park by the rocky bluff; and a possible renovation of the old Lincoln Mill building along Meridian Street with a mix of residential, office and retail venues."

On the Ovation project, they said "condo living downtown is just not accepted yet..." They should have advertised more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I think "brew pub" is a misnomer which probably explains why the article for that link is down now. "Brew pub" implies an establishment that brews it's own beer on premises and sells on site. It's my understanding that our archaic laws in Alabama only allow for brew pubs to be established in historic buildings where brew pubs existed prior to Prohibition. I'll believe it when I see it. Sure would be cool though.

Well they can still do the pub or whatever anyway (don't count on it). This project suffered from everything you shouldn't do;

Wrong target market

Bad design

Poor public interaction

No marketing

There are plenty of better locations downtown to build a project like this. Lets hope Triad will do a better job on their proposed

Airport Rd project. Triad should be held accountable for misleading the city and residents when they never had any intention of

building this project unless they could sneak around the requirements somehow. Because they had to have that restaurant, it saved the city from having a poor development.

Archived