Twin Cities Olympics

nickmgray

I'm the biggest Olympic nerd on the block, this I'll admit. Every four years I camp out in front of my TV for two weeks and watch non stop sports.

Anyways... anyone ever think of what the Twin Cities would need to be a viable candidate for the games? We have plenty of sport facilities (we would have to build a few more of course). Hotels may to a set back since they seem to be full all the time without any large events.

Think it can be done?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A decent high-capacity transit system is a must.

Montreal built their subway system in time for the World's Fair in 1967. They then got the olympics in 1976 based on the success of the World's Fair.

Minneapolis would need a part of the city dedicated to the olympics, in a picturesque area, coupled with a very high capacity transit system for the spectators and olympic athletes.

Effectively, a Minneapolis Subway would preclude any such hopes.

Sport facilities are a deffinite must. Metro Area does have quite a few facilities that may be utilized for the events. The construction of the new Vikings Stadium, Gopher Stadium, and possibly Twins Stadium will deffinitely help.

Anyone know of a list of sport facilities throught the cities that have high capacity?

Archived