Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

I guess we'll find out, but then why would have there been any mention of the Capital Grille brand? jcasey says KTBS is still reporting Capital Grille. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Yeah KTBS is definitely saying Capital Grille. Man, I will croak if that's what we end up with. Even if we end up with just Longhorn, if Captial Grille owns it, it will be excellent from what I've heard.

Sorry to get off topic, but Brian have you seen that land they are clearing on Hwy 80 in Haughton? It is just down the road from Tall Timbers on the opposite side of the hwy.

No I haven't, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll be driving by to see. :D

Any idea what they're building directly across Hwy 80 from Hillcrest? Or is that the land you're talking about?

No I haven't, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll be driving by to see. :D

Any idea what they're building directly across Hwy 80 from Hillcrest? Or is that the land you're talking about?

That's not the land I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is across the hwy from that park by Tall Timbers. As far as the land across the hwy from Hillcrest, that is Central Assembly of God. They are building a new church there. They are currently located across the hwy from Pepe's. Speaking of which, I ate there for lunch. Yum. Do you like Pepe's?

That's not the land I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is across the hwy from that park by Tall Timbers. As far as the land across the hwy from Hillcrest, that is Central Assembly of God. They are building a new church there. They are currently located across the hwy from Pepe's. Speaking of which, I ate there for lunch. Yum. Do you like Pepe's?

I had no idea. I'm definitely going to have to check that out.

I do like Pepe's, but damn it their food never fills me up. It's great, but the portions are too small for a fat guy. :lol:

They also have a Pepe's in Minden and it's good too.

FYI: Casey, I did drive down Highway 80 today and saw the land you're talking about. Looks like quite a bit of land being cleared... hmmm... makes me wonder!

I saw they've also finally started clearing for the new CVS across from McDonald's and Sonic.

Yeah, I thought it was a lot too. I think that is low lying land. If it is for residential, I would think they may have to build it up some. I remember all the flooding problems that Tall Timbers has had. I would think that all that land in that location would have to be for homes, don't you think?

That land for the CVS looks small for a CVS, don't you think. I've been wondering if they will also tear down that old oil change place and use that property too. It looks as they are about done clearing that land. If they are also going to use that property I guess we will find out soon.

Yeah, I thought it was a lot too. I think that is low lying land. If it is for residential, I would think they may have to build it up some. I remember all the flooding problems that Tall Timbers has had. I would think that all that land in that location would have to be for homes, don't you think?

That land for the CVS looks small for a CVS, don't you think. I've been wondering if they will also tear down that old oil change place and use that property too. It looks as they are about done clearing that land. If they are also going to use that property I guess we will find out soon.

Yes it does seem to be pretty low-lying land, but if there's a pond or creek in the back, that would help with drainage. I really don't know what to think... maybe it will be built up a bit and a retail strip built there? I wouldn't be surprised at all. You know, it seems that every piece of land in Bossier Parish, within 5-10 miles of the city, is being developed. I wonder what the Bossier City limits will look like in the next 10 years. I know they said they're not wanting to annex any more land, but eventually those tax dollars might start looking good to them.

I thought that about the CVS property too. Now that the old house and the huge, old tree are gone, you can easily see that it's not very deep. It's almost like they should have purchased the next house back as well. I'm betting this CVS ends up being more like the slightly smaller one on North Market as opposed to the larger ones on Barksdale Blvd and Airline at East Texas.

!!!!!

Here's a quote from today's Shreveport Times article about Regal Court:

Either The Capital Grille or Longhorn Steakhouse restaurants, both owned by Rare Hospitality International Inc., also will be among the new restaurants. The parent company has signed on but hasn't said which of the two will be constructed. City spokeswoman Liz Swaine said the company is leaning toward The Capital Grille.

Can we say.... awesome!? :D

Here's the article from today's paper:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/611070305

It also says that La Madeleine was originally supposed to be part of Phase I (Kings Crossing) but Hurricane Katrina delayed it, so now it's being built as part of Regal Court. Regal Court will also feature a park with a water feature on the front side of the property. Sounds like a REALLY nice property!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

And here's an article about the North Bossier NIMBYs.

The guy on the news the other night was complaining about possible crime (NOT going to happen, my friend!!) but the people in today's article are talking about traffic. I understand traffic concerns, but I'm telling you... if not an apartment complex, they WILL be living next to a strip center or some other high-traffic property. Not to mention, it's not like the people from all 250 units will be coming and going at the same time, and it's stupid to think they would. Further, I'd assume there would also be direct Airline Drive access, not just Le Oaks. Most apartment complexes don't just have one ingress/egress point.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...70323/1002/NEWS

!!!!!

Here's a quote from today's Shreveport Times article about Regal Court:

Can we say.... awesome!? :D

Here's the article from today's paper:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/611070305

It also says that La Madeleine was originally supposed to be part of Phase I (Kings Crossing) but Hurricane Katrina delayed it, so now it's being built as part of Regal Court. Regal Court will also feature a park with a water feature on the front side of the property. Sounds like a REALLY nice property!

Yeah this is great news! Looks like we're probably getting the best of each... Borders AND The Capital Grille. Wow, Shreveport really hit the jackpot with this property! I also love the park-like landscaping and water feature planned... to me this kind of property makes more sense for these upscale tenants. I'm really excited about this one (and I know my parents will be!).

Yeah this is great news! Looks like we're probably getting the best of each... Borders AND The Capital Grille. Wow, Shreveport really hit the jackpot with this property! I also love the park-like landscaping and water feature planned... to me this kind of property makes more sense for these upscale tenants. I'm really excited about this one (and I know my parents will be!).

No doubt, with your parents living here I bet they'll be over there all the time. Believe me when I say I will be as well! :) The park and water feature will definitely set this property apart from all the properties along Youree Drive, including this project's Phase I, King's Crossing. It will give the project more of a "lifestyle center" feel. And I agree about hitting the jackpot. If we get Borders and The Capital Grille in there, along with LaMadeleine's, it's going to be so impressive. Other similarly-sized cities like Little Rock, Baton Rouge, and Jackson will be wondering how we did it and trying to do it themselves. But the fact that the city is working with Charles Shears of SDI Realty is very important. SDI lures shopping centers to Houston and other great southern cities all the time, so the have the experience needed to pull off a project like this.

I wonder how Arlena Acree is coming with Dave & Buster's? I just might try to email her and see what she'll say about it.

I'm also excited about TGI Friday's finally coming back to this market after what... 2 decades!? They completely abandoned Louisiana when they closed their last location in this state a couple years back, which was located in Metairie. For them to take the plunge back into Louisiana via Shreveport is extremely impressive. And of course I'm excited about having a free-standing Buffalo Wild Wings. I only go to the one in Bossier if I'm already going to be down at the Boardwalk, because otherwise it's difficult to get to. Having a free-standing location on Youree Drive will be awesome. I kind of wish they'd have built a Hooters on Youree as well, but I will not complain at all about what we're getting.

If we get Borders and The Capital Grille in there, along with LaMadeleine's, it's going to be so impressive. Other similarly-sized cities like Little Rock, Baton Rouge, and Jackson will be wondering how we did it and trying to do it themselves.

I'm still wondering myself how Shreveport's doing it above all the competitive southern markets. I will say though, aside from Baton Rouge, Shreveport has made more of a name of itself nationally. Maybe it's partially the riverboats, maybe it's more now because of the film industry presence, but something's catching on. I'm not ashamed to say I watch some shows on HGTV, and last night was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Shreveport featured in the last couple months. Last night on "What you Get for the Money" (a show were they'll tour 4 - 5 different cities around the country and show the quality of home you buy for the same $ amount) there was a family who recently moved to Shreveport from San Fransisco. The couple's daughter has a medical condition and they relocated to Shreveport b/c of the medical support network that was available in the city. The introduction to the segment also described Shreveport as a thriving city with a "blossoming" real estate market. They had some nice panning shots of the riverfront too. :)

I'm still wondering myself how Shreveport's doing it above all the competitive southern markets. I will say though, aside from Baton Rouge, Shreveport has made more of a name of itself nationally. Maybe it's partially the riverboats, maybe it's more now because of the film industry presence, but something's catching on. I'm not ashamed to say I watch some shows on HGTV, and last night was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Shreveport featured in the last couple months. Last night on "What you Get for the Money" (a show were they'll tour 4 - 5 different cities around the country and show the quality of home you buy for the same $ amount) there was a family who recently moved to Shreveport from San Fransisco. The couple's daughter has a medical condition and they relocated to Shreveport b/c of the medical support network that was available in the city. The introduction to the segment also described Shreveport as a thriving city with a "blossoming" real estate market. They had some nice panning shots of the riverfront too. :)

Wow, nice! I've heard of Shreveport being on HGTV a lot but I never watch so I haven't seen it myself.

Guess I need to start watching for myself!

Is there a lot more commercial development coming to Haughton?

There actually is quite a bit all of a sudden. I live in a different part than where the development is occurring, but near my house there is a lot of new subdivision development going on. There have also been rumors of a Wal-Mart right next to my house but I don't know how much truth there is to that. There is plenty of land, but I still don't think that will happen.

If the Bossier sewer district tax had passed during the last vote, even more development would be going on. Once that tax passes and they can build the proper infrastructure, Bossier Parish officials are predicting a boom of commercial activity out there. I say BRING IT ON! :D

I drove by the Regal Court site today and they were cutting the grass. I suppose this is so they can begin to do the dirt work.

Yep! Once they cut the grass they'll begin stripping, and then grade staking! I'm so ready for this! I drove by there at lunch today but I really couldn't look over there for fear of rear-ending someone.

Yes, please do not cause an accident because you were watching the grass get cut! :D The traffic is already bad enough over there, but not as bad as everyone makes it to be. By the way, have you been posting on The Shreveport Times board?

Yes, the traffic over there is bad but nothing like what people make it out to be. But at lunch time, you've still got to be careful of rear-ending someone if you look off.

And yeah, I wondered if anyone from here would recognize my posts over there. They pretty much mirror what I've been saying here. :lol:

There actually is quite a bit all of a sudden. I live in a different part than where the development is occurring, but near my house there is a lot of new subdivision development going on. There have also been rumors of a Wal-Mart right next to my house but I don't know how much truth there is to that. There is plenty of land, but I still don't think that will happen.

If the Bossier sewer district tax had passed during the last vote, even more development would be going on. Once that tax passes and they can build the proper infrastructure, Bossier Parish officials are predicting a boom of commercial activity out there. I say BRING IT ON! :D

Wow! That's really something. Growth is just all over S/BC. What is the population of the S/BC MSA?

It's approximately 400,000. I don't know any precise numbers though.

:lol: Neither do I. You'd think I'd have it memorized but I don't. But yeah, it's "roughly" 400,000. Shreveport is about 200,000, unless you believe the latest estimate that it's dropped to about 175,000 which I hope is inaccurate! Bossier City is 60,000. So combined, they're 260,000. The other 140,000 are in the surrounding towns.

Bossier is doing so well... one of the fastest growing cities in the state. But Shreveport still has its problems, which is why tonight's Mayoral election is so important. It's down to Cedric Glover vs. Jerry Jones, and I hope so much that Jerry Jones prevails. Shreveport is growing as far as businesses go, but it's losing population to Bossier City rapidly. When all is said and done, both Cedric Glover and Jerry Jones will have spent well over $1 million each on their campaigns. Of course that's not just their money, but contributions as well. But this goes to show you how major this election is. These are great times in this entire metro, and Shreveport needs a leader who can truly help it and reverse the trend of losing its population to Bossier.

:lol: Neither do I. You'd think I'd have it memorized but I don't. But yeah, it's "roughly" 400,000. Shreveport is about 200,000, unless you believe the latest estimate that it's dropped to about 175,000 which I hope is inaccurate! Bossier City is 60,000. So combined, they're 260,000. The other 140,000 are in the surrounding towns.

Are the latest estimated down to 175,000? Geez... Shreveport may be loosing population, but it seems counter-intuitive to me that a city that's experiencing all this growth is loosing population. What about the the residential developments in southeast Shreveport? Doesn't that count for something?

Also, Bossier City and suburbs included, the metro area HAS to be growing in population, right? Or are the same amount of people just "shifting" around. The way I see it, Shreveport is finally catching up (and in some cases surpassing) the quality of life offered in similarly-sized cities. If the demographics are warranting all of this upscale development in SE Shreveport and Bossier City, something positive is happening. Is it just an increase in avg household income? Something isn't adding up.