The Politics of Time

Choirboy622

How early does it get dark in your city or region now that Daylight Saving Time/Summer Time has ended in most of the northern hemisphere? We all know of the timeless (pun intended) battles over DST and time zone boundaries in Indiana.

I personally would rather have it light in the evening in the summer and late afternoon in the winter, than early in the morning at anytime. I think that extending the length of DST in the States in the autumn was not the best solution. I think a better solution would be to move the time zone boundaries west, so that no place in the continental United States has a sunset time of earlier than approximately 5:00pm in December. Here in Wisconsin, the sunset will be approximately 4:15 in December, while sunrise is approximately 7:15 or so.

Am I the only one who would rather have the daylight in the afternoon/evening instead of in the morning?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How early does it get dark in your city or region now that Daylight Saving Time/Summer Time has ended in most of the northern hemisphere? We all know of the timeless (pun intended) battles over DST and time zone boundaries in Indiana.

I personally would rather have it light in the evening in the summer and late afternoon in the winter, than early in the morning at anytime. I think that extending the length of DST in the States in the autumn was not the best solution. I think a better solution would be to move the time zone boundaries west, so that no place in the continental United States has a sunset time of earlier than approximately 5:00pm in December. Here in Wisconsin, the sunset will be approximately 4:15 in December, while sunrise is approximately 7:15 or so.

Am I the only one who would rather have the daylight in the afternoon/evening instead of in the morning?

Choirboy, I never see morning light. Being in the DC area, I wake up the chickens before I leave and give them time to get it together before they crow. Truthfully, I leave the house at 0510 every morning for work. At work I'm in a building that doesn't believe in windows, so the first oportunity that I get is when I leave in the evening. There have been times when I don't get out til after the sun is gone. Those times are called winter and it could include fall and spring.

Choirboy, I never see morning light. Being in the DC area, I wake up the chickens before I leave and give them time to get it together before they crow. Truthfully, I leave the house at 0510 every morning for work. At work I'm in a building that doesn't believe in windows, so the first oportunity that I get is when I leave in the evening. There have been times when I don't get out til after the sun is gone. Those times are called winter and it could include fall and spring.

I think Michigan actually switched time zones sometime in the early 1970s. Most of Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone now, and observes DST in the summer. In the winter there, the sun never sets before about 5:00 or so. The sun comes up around 8:00, but that would be okay with me.

Archived