Cotuit

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Freudian slip? :P

You live in a McSuburb, and (on the regional level) the airport is the only thing that makes your town any different from the towns surrounding you. Get over it.

"...where she has lived for 17 years ago." Lets see, the jet age began in the 1950's and TFG has been there since the 1930's. Maybe, just maybe you should have thought twice about moving there 17 YEARS AGO!!!!!

ARGHHH - these people bug me so much.

The maintanance costs for the people mover would have made the long term financial agreement with the car rental companies and other agencies cost prohibitive for what is really needed and that is a simple moving sidewalk. I envision vendor cartes along the corridor of the moviong sidewalks at the breaks anyway (as well as a small food court of some sort in the train station end).

I hear the official announcement should be made soon pending the final agreements with the necessary entities. I too cannot wait to see this thing get started & built.

are there examples of a skybridge this long anywhere to be found online?

I think it will be a great asset for the station district - if that ever gets built!

Will this still be the closest amtrak station to a major airport in the US? I've heard that somewhere along the way...

peace im outta here

Will this still be the closest amtrak station to a major airport in the US? I've heard that somewhere along the way...

As far as I know yes, but it's not clear right now that Amtrak will actually stop there. The other airports with close-by Amtrak stations are Newark and Baltmore-Washington.

are there examples of a skybridge this long anywhere to be found online?

I dunno, but here's a long one. I assume this is approximately what Post Road is going to look like soon:

guest_skybridge_at_dusk.jpg

And another of the same:

Skybridge1%209-05.jpg

That one can be found in Davenport, Iowa, which looks like a nice little city.

But we can only hope that we don't end up with one that looks like this:

skybridge.gif

:thumbsup:

Well, no, not really. I know a quarter of a mile isn't all that much when talking about most things, but a skybridge?

Picture it. It has to reach from Jefferson Blvd across Post Rd, across that gigantic surface lot, and (I assume) all the way to the terminal.

I drove home by Post Rd. last night. Because I needed gas. And I'll admit, also because I had this project in mind.

That's gonna be an interesting feature. Noticeable. And yes, quite long.

• 1 month later...

Got a peak at the renderings of the car rental "mall" and the walkway. The walking "path" will be 1410 feet long - not in a straight line. There appears to be an actual attempt to put some architectural features to offer the walkway some "flare" for the lack of a better term. There will be 2 glass rotundas, 3 to 4 "entry" points/stairs to the ground along the walkway (for tie-ins to future development and even possible "branches" for a network of walkways) for pedestrian access from the short term lot and Post Road, and a really nice design where it ties into the street side of the Terminal building. 833 feet of the 1410 feet (59%) will have moving sidewalks and there will be electric cart availability as well. Airport "viewpoints" have been created from the angles the path of the walkway will take (versus the straight "shot" I was expecting). The car rental mall looks open and airy and should have some concession offerings as well. The walkway itself looks to be supported by pre-cast support columns (similar but smaller than the "Iway" supports we see along I-95 now)that will straddle roadways where needed (cars will drive under it in places both perpendicully and parallel) with angled light blue-tinted glass making up the entire sides and parts of the roof. It looks like there is an electronic scolling message board over the upper level roadway in front of the terminal and some street signage and possible advertising space where it goes over Post Road and parts of the airport roadway system too.

Will share more when I can...

...and to the train station/car rental mall and concessions!

Just a question, has this project (including the train station) started at all yet? Wasn't there supposed to be a ground breaking awhile ago, or am I missing something?

On a slightly related topic, have the terminal rennovations started yet as well?

Cheers,

Dan

Just a question, has this project (including the train station) started at all yet? Wasn't there supposed to be a ground breaking awhile ago, or am I missing something?

On a slightly related topic, have the terminal rennovations started yet as well?

Cheers,

Dan

The official ground breaking for the intermodal center has NOT happened, but I saw graders and bulldozers smoothing the lot just a hour ago!

The terminal renovations are underway right now. The first phase will create a new centralized queuing area for the line to get through security as well as relocated escalators, a new glass elevator in the middle of the lobby, a new information booth, new hotel reservastions kiosks (instead of the old 'wall of phones'), new concessions on the lower level, and temporary locations for things getting displaced during the remaining phases.

The official ground breaking for the intermodal center has NOT happened, but I saw graders and bulldozers smoothing the lot just a hour ago!

The terminal renovations are underway right now. The first phase will create a new centralized queuing area for the line to get through security as well as relocated escalators, a new glass elevator in the middle of the lobby, a new information booth, new hotel reservastions kiosks (instead of the old 'wall of phones'), new concessions on the lower level, and temporary locations for things getting displaced during the remaining phases.

Glad they've finally started then. My dad was there a couple weeks ago and he said he didn't notice any changes. Hopefully the train station will start soon. This thing has been hurry up and wait for years.

Thanks for the info!

Dan

• 3 months later...

There was a story on Channel 12 tonight about the station breaking ground this month, complete in '09. They also showed some renderings, if anyone can get their hands on some renderings that would be swell. :thumbsup:

There was a story on Channel 12 tonight about the station breaking ground this month, complete in '09. They also showed some renderings, if anyone can get their hands on some renderings that would be swell. :thumbsup:

w00t!

On a slightly related topic, the terminal rennovations seem to be getting pretty involved. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Someone who posts here has had the rendering for quite some time now, but dosen't want to post just yet. Hopefully that member will do so soon.

Someone who posts here has had the rendering for quite some time now, but dosen't want to post just yet. Hopefully that member will do so soon.

Ive seen the rederings (from the person on here who has them) but they are all poster size, We should be hearing something very soon, and my guess is mroe renderings will be available at that time. Let me just say the people mover (enclosed movign sidewalk) looks quite impressive.

Archived