The UP Miami Mapping Project

Aessotariq

Miami was one of the cities fortunate enough to have 3D renderings of downtown incorporated into Google Earth. As Miami's mind-boggling construction continues, it has quickly become outdated and many buildings are not shown. What's great about Google Earth is that all information can be expanded with new data sets. You can add your own layers, which is what I've started to do, to record all of Miami's new construction and recently-completed projects. It's a long way from complete.

Here is what Google already has for Miami:

MiamiSkyline-BEFORE.jpg

I've started adding the newest buildings, from left to right (that's the proposed Empire World Towers in the middle).

Orange represents buildings under construction, light blue is approved, and purple is proposed:

MiamiSkyline-AFTER.jpg

This pic gives you a general idea of what the skyline will look like from the waterfront, the common angle at which the skyline is shot (this is an old shot: the shapes buildings on the far right aren't accurate and were just used as placeholders):

miarender4test1ev.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that looks awesome! Great work, I hope we can see more! Maybe Brickell and PAC? Good job!

Great job. You know for someone who is doing this for free, you sure do work your(pardon the expression) ass of for this web site. Are those all the proposed buildings or are you still working on it. I gotta imagine your still working on it because there are like what 90 plus buildings under constuction

Thanks... No, this is far from complete.

On the Google Earth map, orange means Under Construction, purple means Proposed, and blue means Approved/Ready for Construction.

On the Interactive Map:

Red: Completed construction or near completion

Orange: Under Construction, beginning stages of construction

Yellow: Proposal, nearing approval

Blue: Proposal, preliminary stages, not approved or in permit stage

Archived