Metro Huntsville Development News

jmanhsv

• 1 month later...

I can't believe no one has talked about the Old Towne fire on here. Does anyone have an inside scoop? I've seen the building, it is pretty much a loss, they are trying to save the brick facade on the front. The firefighters did a great job contained it to just that building it seems, it easily could have taken out adjacent properties.

What do you think the brewery will do? The owner has expressed interest in relocating downtown. In the meantime, the owner was in discussion with other breweries to make their recipes. He ruled out opening a brewpub because of restrictive state laws that don't allow selling your brew off property. I can't understand this law. You can have a brewpub, but you can't sell that beer to other bars or in stores? I guess Alabama lawmakers want to make it as hard as possible for an alcohol related business to succeed. In any case, I hope they reopen somewhere downtown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe i'm missing something but how in the world did we win this award, what big tourist attractions are in Alabama that are bigger than what they have in Georgia, Florida or even Tennessee? Maybe this is my opinion but I always thought our tourist industry in Alabama needed vast improvement. But then again the award is for the best campaign not what attractions we have but IMO even that could use a big improvement.

http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7049691

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Alabama tourism officials are becoming old hands at accepting the Southeast Tourism Society's award for the year's best campaign to attract visitors.

Governor Bob Riley Friday announced that the society named Alabama's tourism department the best in the South for the third time in four years.

It was nominated for its "Year of Alabama Arts" campaign.

Edited by Huntsville_secede

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe i'm missing something but how in the world did we win this award, what big tourist attractions are in Alabama that are bigger than what they have in Georgia, Florida or even Tennessee? Maybe this is my opinion but I always thought our tourist industry in Alabama needed vast improvement. But then again the award is for the best campaign not what attractions we have but IMO even that could use a big improvement.

http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7049691

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Alabama tourism officials are becoming old hands at accepting the Southeast Tourism Society's award for the year's best campaign to attract visitors.

Governor Bob Riley Friday announced that the society named Alabama's tourism department the best in the South for the third time in four years.

It was nominated for its "Year of Alabama Arts" campaign.

Well, the fact is that Alabama's made some great headway in attracting people to the state. All you have to do is attract the right audience. That's what they've done. I mean, they don't play big on the trilling stuff like amusement parks, because there aren't many. They play big on arts, outdoors, etc... because Alabama has a great source of them. Probably one of the best groupings of it in the country.

Does anyone know what the new Huntsville Hospital construction is in Owens Cross Roads? It is on Sutton Rd across the new Taylor Rd from Wal-Mart.

I guess this is your question in the Huntsville Times,

http://blog.al.com/askus/

The development is in the Huntsville City Limits as is Hampton Cove which is not a separate town as they would lead people to believe. Owens Cross Roads postal mark though I suppose.

"Q. There is site preparation being made on the west side of Taylor Road at the Sutton Road intersection. In the last few days there has been a Huntsville Hospital sign on the site. What type of facility is Huntsville Hospital putting on this location?

A. Huntsville Hospital spokesman Burr Ingram said the hospital recently bought five acres at Taylor and Sutton roads, near the Hampton Cove Wal-Mart, for a medical park. The development plan is not finished, but Ingram said the project would likely include doctors' offices and diagnostic services similar to those at the Medical Mall on Governors Drive.

"We believe this is an opportunity to bring health-care services to a fast-growing area of our community," Ingram said Thursday. "We're excited about it and hope to bring services there as quick as possible."

Edited by Southron

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We bought our Christmas tree this year from the governors drive tree lot. They said they wouldn't be there next year because the land had been sold.

Does anybody have any info on development plans for that property?

not sure if this is related but there is a zoning issue coming up in this area. The location described is a bit confusing.

1. Resolution to set a public hearing on a resolution and ordinance authorizing the approval of and consent to the vacation of a East 45-foot right of way of 10th Street, North of Governor's Drive to the Southerly right of way of 3rd Avenue and North of the Northerly right of way of 3rd Avenue to the Southerly right of way of

I-565 for West Huntsville Land Company, Stove House 5, Inc., and Gregory Scott Hodges. (December 6, 2007 Regular Council Meeting) (City Attorney)

• 4 weeks later...

^When you say "Jones Valley", I'm assuming that you're talking about the St. James Place development?

Only one more retail project that I can think of right now-The Streets of Madison

These Publix-anchored shopping centers are already under construction, but they will be completed in 2008:

Village Shops at Madison

Harvest Square

Some more road projects that MIGHT start in 2008:

Meridian Street widening from downtown to Oakwood Avenue

AL53/AL255 interchange (I think it was supposed to start in 2006)

And, if we pray hard enough, we might see preliminary engineering and ROW on the Southern Bypass this year.

Transit:

Shuttle service will be extended to Research Park West and Bridge Street

Intermodal centers/park and rides will begin construction and be completed at Bridge Street and UAH, respectively.

A&M will begin and finish its new bus terminal.

I hope the biggest project for 2008 will be a downtown project announcement slated for a 2009 completion. It may be a stretch to see Constellation and or Harris Hill completed in 2008.

Airport expansion will be ongoing with a 2009 completion as well.

You would like to think there will be a surprise or two.

^There's no way Constellation and/or Harris Hill will be completed to any extent this year. Both haven't started construction, except for some site preparation. Maybe in 2009. But look on the bright side- tower cranes will be making a comeback in downtown this year!

I expect to see some progress on these projects this year:

Councill Court- planning

200 Park Tower- rendering

Lincoln Mill- construction

Randolph Place- an official announcement

Colonial Promenade Huntsville- construction

Redstone Technology Park- construction

Metro Jail- completion

Rumored development at Monrovia Golf Course- announcement, construction

Holmes Avenue Condos- announcement

And I forgot yet another project, though this one is a stretch as well- Ovation. The developers have a month to find a restaurant in the adjacent Summit building to build the condo tower. It is unlikely that if they haven't found a restaurant by now they will find one.

The money for the AL53/255 interchange last year was moved to the next phase of 53 widening and that interchange has been delayed indefinitely so don't expect it to be done for a while

Thanks- must have missed that. Well, that stinks; I want to see this bypass finished in my lifetime.

I hope the biggest project for 2008 will be a downtown project announcement slated for a 2009 completion. It may be a stretch to see Constellation and or Harris Hill completed in 2008.

Airport expansion will be ongoing with a 2009 completion as well.

You would like to think there will be a surprise or two.

By the way I never said anything about Constellation or Harris Hill to be completed in 2008 i said construction, thats why i put completion only by BridgeStreet.

• 1 month later...