Monroe Center

mpchicago

In addition to what is now open along Monroe Center, what other businesses would work well for residents, workers, and conventioneers alike? Here are a few suggestions:

Bakery with ice cream or gelato.

A furniture store that sells hot GR furiture like the Herman Miller Aeron, Eames Lounge, Steelcase Leep.

A Florist.

Design/Design store, with cards, gifts, stationary. If you haven

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "Bath & Body Works" type place.

More women's apparel and shoes

A specialty toy store

A Brookstone

An art gallery and gift store (for conventioneers to take something home with them)

A Grand Rapids Popcorn outlet

Maybe if we keep posting these ideas, someone somewhere will pick up on it. I saw some guys checking out 65 Monroe (the low black building by Front Row Condos) the other day. Maybe something is going to happen there soon.

When i worked for Rockford Construction I spent about a month at front row condos. While i was there they had Irwin Union Bank looking to put a branch in the low black building with the remodel to be done by design plus. That idea failed i guess. Later on there was some guys looking to put a multi floor bar in there. i dunno... just what i picked up on while working there. But that was about 2 months, so probably neither will happen.

Definately more apparel stores. The An'gina/A Pear/Little Bohemia stretch of Monroe Center is a good start, but more of these types of businesses are needed.

Hopefully there won't be another deli or coffeehouse going in, though, because there seems to be an overabundance already there. Here's hoping they can all survive.

Has anyone else noticed that Reynolds and Sons Sporting Goods has painted the "roof shingles" on the second floor? It's not the best, but at least the color looks better next to the Children Museum's brick.

If someone wants to become an urban legend/hero of Grand Rapids and of this forum, they should apply for federal or state grants/cool cities money/DDA grants/something to help buy the Kendall Bldg right there. Yes, you might pay Azzar more than the building is worth, and he may walk away with a pile of cash, but who cares at this point! The grants would help make the project viable. I would bet the city would do EVERYTHING in their power to help you make it happen (except actually floating you the money) :thumbsup: I think that would be the last building in Center City to be rehabbed (not counting Fountain Place/Keeler).

A really good Chicago or New York-style newsshop with lots of papers from other cities, a really full-magazine selection, and assorted goods such as snacks, drinks from vertical coolers, light groceries and drug necessities. No, I don't mean the sanitized amway or airport versions of these type of vendors--I mean a really urban-oriented one with real people (characters) running it, lol. This is very different from the bookstore concept I know is coming one block north

:)

A really good Chicago or New York-style newsshop with lots of papers from other cities, a really full-magazine selection, and assorted goods such as snacks, drinks from vertical coolers, light groceries and drug necessities. No, I don't mean the sanitized amway or airport versions of these type of vendors--I mean a really urban-oriented one with real people (characters) running it, lol. This is very different from the bookstore concept I know is coming one block north

:)

Elliot

If someone wants to become an urban legend/hero of Grand Rapids and of this forum, they should apply for federal or state grants/cool cities money/DDA grants/something to help buy the Kendall Bldg right there. Yes, you might pay Azzar more than the building is worth, and he may walk away with a pile of cash, but who cares at this point! The grants would help make the project viable. I would bet the city would do EVERYTHING in their power to help you make it happen (except actually floating you the money) :thumbsup: I think that would be the last building in Center City to be rehabbed (not counting Fountain Place/Keeler).

Any ideas of what could go in this space? I've talked with quite a few people about that location and ideas have ranged across the board.

Elliot

Downtown desperately needs a drugstore, I worked at the grand plaza and would have guests ask for the nearest drugstore everyday and we would have to send them up to Michigan. Also asked alot were liquor stores and a movie theater. Many ppl were very surprised that we do not have these things downtown in walking distance. I think these would also be crutial to get ppl living downtown.

Downtown desperately needs a drugstore, I worked at the grand plaza and would have guests ask for the nearest drugstore everyday and we would have to send them up to Michigan. Also asked alot were liquor stores and a movie theater. Many ppl were very surprised that we do not have these things downtown in walking distance. I think these would also be crutial to get ppl living downtown.

Good info and welcome, GR8scott! I have often thought it must be hard to be a concierge or work at the desk at some of the downtown hotels, and have to explain to people that we don't have these things within walking distance. How embarrassing :blush:

I thought Rockford had CVS ready to commit to their Fulton and Division project. I wonder if they are still interested. I think they would fit right into 47 commerce. It's the single story (with basement walkout to alley) building at the Southwest corner of Commerce and Weston.

How about an art supply store? It seems only logical that there's a market for it given all the area students and the soon-to-be arts avenue on Division.

Service Reproductions on Summer has a pretty good selection. It's not right downtown, but its pretty darn close

How about an art supply store? It seems only logical that there's a market for it given all the area students and the soon-to-be arts avenue on Division.

Domus (Sp?) used to be near the corner of Fulton and Jefferson but went under just a couple of years ago when Kendall opened a student art store in their building that is also open to the public.

I miss that place. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

The Grand Central market is closer than ever to being finished; they added new lettering and overhangs recently. I'm really looking forward to both this and the new bookstore being opened, as I'm sure many downtown residents are.

grandcentralmarket.jpg

Thanks for the update dbrok! That's right in your neighborhood ;)

A little late to this discussion, but Kendall also has an art supply store. Not as large as Service, but Kendall also will order anything you need.

Archived