PROPOSED: Parcel 12 (Triangle Parcel)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the map! Is the land in the back of the Gateway building facing the Capitol designated for anything? Boy, that building is bad. I have to say, I love the train station, I don't think the Avalon building is terrible, and Gateway is Gateway, but all together making up one area, they are really less than the sum of their parts. They all have terrible street presense.

I think the terrible design for the cul de sac enterance to the train station is partly responsible. It cuts the building off from everything around it. Not urban friendly.

- Garris

This is from Providence: The Renaissance City which I've had all along while we've had discussions about which parcel is where:

RelocatedRivers-WmWarner.jpg

As you can see Station Park (or State House Park as shown on the plan) is not slated for development on any portion, a situation that I think should change at least right up close to Gateway Center and the train station.

I think DOA applied for funding to give Station Park a total overhaul with trees, small paved/concrete walking paths, a trolley/bus stop, plantings, and to deal with the horrible drainage problem there....I haven't heard yet if they got their project funded yet though.

BTW, thanks Cotuit for the map...I wasn't sure bout those E/W parcels.

I want the 4w/e and 3w/e areas to have HIGH residential or business towers.. like 40+ stories.. that will never happen :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be to sure about that, ClowntownMikey! There was already a 24 story high-rise residential building planned for parcel 4 a few yrs ago that never got built.

Don't look for any development anytime soon at State House Park. This is where the skating center was first suppose to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We obviously don't need another ice rink, but this would be a good place for a skateboard park.

We obviously don't need another ice rink, but this would be a good place for a skateboard park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you honestly think that would be the best place? How about Davis Park across from Nathaniel Greene in Smith Hill?

- Garris

Do you honestly think that would be the best place?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best? Maybe not, but it's near the mall and that's the big magnet Downcity for the kids (and they skate along the area out front of the train station anyway). Maybe down along Allens under the re-routed 195 like what Boston has going on under the Tobin Bridge ramps would be cool. But I think we need a really nice place for the kids that considerable money is invested into (not something half assed, kids come from all over the region for a well designed park). Ideally, I'd like to see the skatepark set up at the skating center like it has been in the past. We're not seeing the activities the skating center claimed it was losing out on by having the skate park there, and any lost opportunities could be held at Station Park. I don't want to see them tucked off into some corner like we're trying to hide them (under the highway seems like a corner, but I think it could be a really cool space, and would create activity to help close the gap the highway will create).

Nothing can be built alongside the Gateway Center because of the utility issues but also because the train tracks run underneath. Also - why the dislike of the Gateway building? It's not that bad - very Washington DC and from the State House, is a rather attractive low-scale building. The large residential tower planned behind One Citizens Plaza on Parcels 4 & 3 W was ironically the preferred site for development by BlueChip Properties - now OneTen Westminster.

Skate park?? In the middle of downtown?? Ok - get the skatepark in exchange for getting rid of Kennedy Plaza's Transportation Disaster, er, Center. You guys read that in the paper this morning? Could not agree more - having that there is an embarrasment. Also - any news on Parcel 12??

This is from Providence: The Renaissance City which I've had all along while we've had discussions about which parcel is where:

[...map of parcels...]

hey... I ordered this book from Amazon specifically to get this map!! It's taking the slow route cuz I went for the free shipping. :huh:

Oh well, hopefully it'll be a good resource regardless ^_^

Oh well, hopefully it'll be a good resource regardless    ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh it's very good, I haven't read the whole thing cover-to-cover yet, but just the photos and graphics alone make it worth it.

Oh it's very good, I haven't read the whole thing cover-to-cover yet, but just the photos and graphics alone make it worth it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The book is excellent! The 2 professors spent an enormous amount of time researching and talking with all the right people. If you want to know why downtown looks the way it does today, read the book. It is the TRUE story of who, what, where, when, why and how Providence became the Renaissance City. It gives credit to all the right people. It's a lot more than Cianci and Waterplace Park/River Relocation (none of which would have happened if it were not for all the effort on the part of many people who have never received nor expected public credit.

Gives you a whole different perspective.. The REAL perspective, not political spin garbage... Cianci held Providence back 20 years.. Only now that he is gone is the city coming in to its own..

Think about that for a second.. With all the natural resources and historic properties, waterfront location, capital city status.. Why was Prov so bad?? I'm from Boston, and it was a joke growing up.. All because of Cianci, yet the people love him still...

Baffling to me..

... Cianci held Providence back 20 years.. Only now that he is gone is the city coming in to its own..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you - I've been saying that for years!! To think how many people give Buddy so much credit when in many ways he did at least as much harm to the city as he did good (in terms of growth). He did a lot to publicly promote Providence, but his ego and policies hindered the city for years.

Only 3 years out of office and you can see amazing changes in the business climate.

• 2 months later...

Will anything ever be built on the parcel of land directly across from the parking lot next to capital grille etc. (near kennedy plaza) It currently is home to (in my opinion) a very unattractive piece of wooden art and yellowing grass. I feel like this would make a superb place for a tall building. Does anyone know anything about who owns this land? I would guess maybe RISDI considering there is some abstract art there.

• 4 weeks later...

200-room InterContinental Hotel & Resort in the works for downtown Providence.

ICHotel.jpg

From todays Projo Article: "Carpionato Properties Inc. of Johnston, is buying a small triangle of land from the city for $2.8 million. The developer is planning to build a $40-million, 15-story high-end hotel with condominiums on the property... Carpionato has been interested in developing the property since 2003, but was only recently able to come to an agreement with the city on a sale, said Thomas E. Deller, director of planning and development for Providence.

Now that the property has been appraised and specific timelines have been put in place for development of the project, the city is expecting to have a signed a purchase-and-sale agreement with the developer next week"

The city seem really hot for this. They've hired a consultant to watch the builder and make sure that the work will be moving along swiftly. They are even reserving the right to TAKE THE PROPERTY BACK, if the developer looks like they are dragging their feet. "We don't want to tie property up for long periods of time without something happening, like we have in the past".

"After all the various development proposals for this small site, Deller said Carpionato will make this one a reality. "

Full Article HERE

Archived