I LOVE Birmingham

Newnan

I'm a metro Atlantan and I went to Birmingham for the first time about a month ago and I was SOOOO impressed. Our first stop was mountain brook where me and my mom ate at a country cooking/jewish place called Brodys and then we walked around the quaint little mountain brook village. Then we went to the botanical gardens and I was impressed by that too. After that we went to that big statue and saw the city from there which was beautiful. I drove through the city after that and found it to still have that small town feel as well as a growing urban feel. The only problem was that with exception of five points, I didn't see many pedestrians. Overall I thought the city was great! the people were nice, it was easy to get around, and the landscape was beautiful too. I thought the city was great; keep it up!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a metro Atlantan and I went to Birmingham for the first time about a month ago and I was SOOOO impressed. Our first stop was mountain brook where me and my mom ate at a country cooking/jewish place called Brodys and then we walked around the quaint little mountain brook village. Then we went to the botanical gardens and I was impressed by that too. After that we went to that big statue and saw the city from there which was beautiful. I drove through the city after that and found it to still have that small town feel as well as a growing urban feel. The only problem was that with exception of five points, I didn't see many pedestrians. Overall I thought the city was great! the people were nice, it was easy to get around, and the landscape was beautiful too. I thought the city was great; keep it up!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mountain Brook, the Botanical Gardens, and Five Points (I'm assuming you mean 5 Points South and not 5 Points West)... I don't think that you even stepped foot inside the Birmingham city limits. :lol: (Okay... Technically 5 Points is in the city limits, but it is close to Homewood and is barely part of downtown.) Those are some of the nicer suburbs of B'ham, so of course you would have been impressed. If you had went just west or north/northeast of downtown you would have seen some of the lower income neighboorhoods and realized that some areas of it suck as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Mountain Brook, the Botanical Gardens, and Five Points (I'm assuming you mean 5 Points South and not 5 Points West)... I don't think that you even stepped foot inside the Birmingham city limits. :lol: (Okay... Technically 5 Points is in the city limits, but it is close to Homewood and is barely part of downtown.) Those are some of the nicer suburbs of B'ham, so of course you would have been impressed. If you had went just west or north/northeast of downtown you would have seen some of the lower income neighboorhoods and realized that some areas of it suck as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez, just take the compliment! :D

-Actually, we did go in the city, We drove through downtown Birmingham

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience on my first visit to Birmingham. Before I arrived I expected to see a crumbling, old, southern city with nothing going for it. When I arrived I couldn't have been more wrong. I entered Birmingham on a small highway (I'd gotten lost, and was supposed to be going to Montgomery). I'd never traveled west of Tallahassee on U.S. 27... it took me in some odd directions. Entering Birmingham the first thing I remember was seeing a Publix supermarket! WHOOOO!!! Floridians love Publix!! Then I noticed the streets were clean, there were beautiful dots of lights on the landscape. Development was setback a good distance from the road (which is a pet peeve of mine) and neighborhood signage was top notch. That was Birmingham! And I was in awe as I realized I was viewing a city from of Mountains!! I loved it.

Archived