Flint Off Topic

Pachuco

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Whats Up Everyone!

I stopped by your Flint thread to check out whats going on in town. I watched Roger and Me in my sociology class a couple years ago and I was just wondering how much different Flint is today compared with Michael Moore's depiction during the time period soon after GM closed.

Where are the jobs? Has anything been done about the blighted neighborhoods? What is the ethnic makeup of the community today?

You guys should put together a Flint - past and present thread for uninformed people like myself who only know Flint from the Moore documentary. Here in Providence, a formerly manufacturing-rich city located in between Boston and New York, we've done great things with our old textile mills and historic downtown buildings. I'm sure Flint still has lots of big old factories, and I'm curious what has been done to revitalize them. With some creativity and the right marketing strategy, perhaps Flint can follow our lead and experience its own kind of Renaissance.

- Dan

BuickCity probably would have been the best to save, or at least the Administration building would have made the perfect building for a museum. I don't think Sloan Museum currently is big enough of a facility, and the architecture of the Admin. building was very complimentary. But you're spot on about the rest of the factories being nothing more than sheet metal.

And the best buildings to showcase by renovating are the ones downtown. And speaking of First Street Lofts, I noticed today that they had put a large hole in front of the second floor. Are they putting in a large window right there, or is it going to be part of the entrance (i.e., a foyer)? One building that especially needs to be renovating is the Capitol Theater. I'd much rather have Flint know for having one of those rare movie palaces than for the flight of GM and the automotive industry. We have other great attributes here other than GM, and they need to be focused on. FIM is one of the top 15 music institutes in the country, U of M recently named as one of the top 30 most diversified college bodies, and on top of that the older homes in Flint are some of the most beautiful homes you'll ever see. There's one on MLK near 11th Street (??) that I would love to buy and renovate, has this gorgeous gazebo built right off the side of the house.

They brought in that machine today that rips up concrete and took out a stretch in front of Hurley, but there are construction barrels going at least to Saginaw Street (I usually take that small stretch of MLK to get to 5th Ave. so I don't know if it goes beyond Saginaw).

I saw workers making the hole in First Street Lofts the other day. I'm also curious as to what's going on.

I also saw cones on 5th Ave. that day, too! Aren't they rebuilding the street or is it just a repavement? Either way, it's long overdue. I try to avoid driving on 5th/Flushing (unless I'm near Ballenger), but I used to drive it all the time.

I saw workers making the hole in First Street Lofts the other day. I'm also curious as to what's going on.

I also saw cones on 5th Ave. that day, too! Aren't they rebuilding the street or is it just a repavement? Either way, it's long overdue. I try to avoid driving on 5th/Flushing (unless I'm near Ballenger), but I used to drive it all the time.

They are restoring the front entrance as well. Much like they had to redo the side by tearing all the badly done brickwork around the windows.

132264009_821f8004c5_o.jpg

What do you mean by rebuilding 5th Avenue? Making it wider? I'm not sure what they're doing, I'm just glad that something is finally being done! lol Won't have to worry again about losing the entire car in potholes in the winter. lol

Are the First Street Lofts being made to look exactly like it was originally? If so, with that entrance it will be one of the most beautiful buildings in downtown :)

Are the First Street Lofts being made to look exactly like it was originally? If so, with that entrance it will be one of the most beautiful buildings in downtown :)

From what I understand, that is the plan.

Thanks for finding the pic dnast. I was going to look for it myself.

Edited by bobjgumby

What do you mean by rebuilding 5th Avenue? Making it wider? I'm not sure what they're doing, I'm just glad that something is finally being done! lol Won't have to worry again about losing the entire car in potholes in the winter. lol

I mean stripping it down until it's just dirt and rebuilding instead of taking a layer off and throwing asphalt on there. I think 5th is in too bad a condition for them to waste time just repaving it.

Thanks for finding the pic dnast. I was going to look for it myself.

Hey no problem. I didn't know where to start looking for one, but thankfully I remembered there was a pic on UptownDevelopments.com (you'd think that page would be finished in the year or so it's been up).

I mean stripping it down until it's just dirt and rebuilding instead of taking a layer off and throwing asphalt on there. I think 5th is in too bad a condition for them to waste time just repaving it.

Hey no problem. I didn't know where to start looking for one, but thankfully I remembered there was a pic on UptownDevelopments.com (you'd think that page would be finished in the year or so it's been up).

i hate when they just throw a layer over all the holes, it just needs to be fixed again in year.

its great that they actually are gonna strip it all the way down, it would be cool if they did bricks

but thatd probobly cost too much :(