Nashville: Church Street Project

it's just dave

It's been a long, long time since Church Street really looked good, and it's still a work in progress. Completion is set for November. (side note: another streetscape project just started behind the courthouse at Memorial Bridge/2nd Av/Jas. Robt Pky...looks good and will complement the entire Courthouse park/Briley Building project)

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures August 6 and this will give an idea of what's coming. With the Viridian, Signature, Church Street Lofts, etc. Church will begin to come alive again. If we can get the Fed Cthse underway and fill in a couple of more gaps, add some retail...we'll be back in business. This is one of my favorite projects...mainly because it's one that's not taking FOREVER, for a change.

Enjoy. I'll update the photos again in a month or so. Completion is due for November.

Streetscape2.JPG

StreetConstr.JPG

IMG0041.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Just Dave,

Good shots. My brother and I walked Church a few nights ago. The transformation is eye-catching. To answer Cheeriokid61, yes, new sidewalks will be on both sides of street. Church will become two lane, two-way street.

William Williams

Two way street, nice sidewalks and planters. Church was converted in the 70s into a "then trendy" serpentine brick passage. Nice at the time I guess. This will be much better, two way traffic is a good thing. It was time to dump the 70s theme (which had gotten out of repair, anyway) and give the street back to the people ... and cars.

The building in the first picture, sleepy, is the Doctor's Building, never a dept. store. Next to that is the Bennie Dillon, formerly a Post Apt. property, but now sold and converting to condos. Just beyond the intersection on the left was Castner-Knott. Part of it is now Morton's Steakhouse, HR Block, and some misc office space. The building is at the corner of Capital Blvd and Church....Castner's, I think, used both the buildings, but not sure.

Church street is really starting to come together. I think once some of these projects near completion more projects for the street will follow. Church street could become the residential corridor of downtown. It will be nice to know exactly how many units are planned for the Signature. I think it will be more than the original plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Two way street, nice sidewalks and planters. Church was converted in the 70s into a "then trendy" serpentine brick passage. Nice at the time I guess. This will be much better, two way traffic is a good thing. It was time to dump the 70s theme (which had gotten out of repair, anyway) and give the street back to the people ... and cars.

The building in the first picture, sleepy, is the Doctor's Building, never a dept. store. Next to that is the Bennie Dillon, formerly a Post Apt. property, but now sold and converting to condos. Just beyond the intersection on the left was Castner-Knott. Part of it is now Morton's Steakhouse, HR Block, and some misc office space. The building is at the corner of Capital Blvd and Church....Castner's, I think, used both the buildings, but not sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Castner Knott Co. did use both buildings. I believe the shorter (and whiter in color) building was an addition to the more slender and beige-colored building. The Marbled ground level still has the Castner Knott engravings and at the corner of Church and Capital the column has the old "CK" logo from the 1940's. The store closed in 1996. If it were still operating it is quite possible that it would be a real money-maker. There really is a lot more going on downtown than most people think. Oh well, retail will return eventually.

Archived