Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

SO they are taking down the ramp at the corner of Michigan and Bostwick? Hmmm I'm surprised they didnt incorporate a parking ramp into that giant wall. At least then it would seem somewhat functional. Looking at it again, it looks like it IS a parking ramp, just not an open one...

It will be a NEW & IMPROVED parking ramp, complete with 30' high concrete wall and emergency vehicle access. I hear it will be able to withstand a direct "bunker buster" hit :lol:

That has to be what it is. To me, it's a 10 story building (allowing for a 2-story lobby), with 1 partially underground level. That is, unless the renderings were drawn before, and they've increased the number of floors since. Whatever happens, it's obvious that this has to be preliminary, because it doesn't look very workable at the moment.

I noticed the other day that the excavators breached the earth wall at Division Avenue near Michigan. I'll have to see if I can get some photos today. ;)

I noticed that, too. Does anyone know if the service road they're putting in along 196 will connect to Division?

I noticed that, too. Does anyone know if the service road they're putting in along 196 will connect to Division?

Yes it will connect to Division. My understanding is this is a temporary road to be used during construction. It will probably be discontinued after construction is over.

Nitro

this might sound dumb, but this isnt the project where they're building those 3 medical towers, is it? if its something different, can anyone show a rendering or something, or a link to another thread?...thanks

Yes, it is, grandraggidy. You're in luck, I just updated the New Developments thread today:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...35entry232093

Photo update from today showing the "cut" in the Division Ave hill:

0640C83046FD11DA92C3229118F73B1D.jpg

0438EA4046FD11DA8852F61918F73B1D.jpg

It's hard to imagine that the front of the Western tower will face Division right here :huh:

Used to be you had a pretty good view if you lived on the hill atop that painted 1826. Now folks will be looking at another building. AH yes....progress.... :lol:

Just putting in my two cents again regarding this project:

1) Where is concrete plan for pedestrian scale and retail as part of the development?

2) How does this project enhance or degrade the Plainfield/Leonard TOD in the Master Plan?

3) Why is the city going around communities to increase the width of Michigan and College overpasses?

Sorry if this is redundant, but I don't want to get dazzled by the development and loose sight of the potential impact.

I'm just basically reporting, although parts of this project are pretty exciting. I think the train may have already left the station in regard to this project and how it affects the Master Plan. The only remedy at this point would probably be an attorney :whistling: I hear there's a good one right down the hill from you :P

I'm just basically reporting, although parts of this project are pretty exciting. I think the train may have already left the station in regard to this project and how it affects the Master Plan. The only remedy at this point would probably be an attorney :whistling: I hear there's a good one right down the hill from you :P

yeah, please don't take my comments as disrespect to you or your post. I love the pictures and appreciate the enthusiasm for downtown development.

I just like offering a more neighborhood approach to some of these larger developments. Sometimes I think architects treat their buildings like they sit on a pedestal instead of on the floor surrounded by 20 other projects. Who is asking what the context is and how your project fits into its surroundings?

yeah, please don't take my comments as disrespect to you or your post. I love the pictures and appreciate the enthusiasm for downtown development.

I just like offering a more neighborhood approach to some of these larger developments. Sometimes I think architects treat their buildings like they sit on a pedestal instead of on the floor surrounded by 20 other projects. Who is asking what the context is and how your project fits into its surroundings?

I agree, and I think the point you raise is a good one, as hospitals and their accessory functions seems to be notorious for a lack of connection with the life of the street or the neighborhood in which they are located. Just because it is a hospital shouldn't mean the developer/architect gets a blank check to build whatever god-awful box they feel like building. It is just important that a hospital connects to the surrounding area as it would be if an condo building or hotel were getting built, IMO.

Does the plan for this development include ground-floor retail? If so, that would be cool. I'll bet that not many health-related centers in the USA include retail in the design. Anyone have details?? :whistling:

I agree, and I think the point you raise is a good one, as hospitals and their accessory functions seems to be notorious for a lack of connection with the life of the street or the neighborhood in which they are located. Just because it is a hospital shouldn't mean the developer/architect gets a blank check to build whatever god-awful box they feel like building. It is just important that a hospital connects to the surrounding area as it would be if an condo building or hotel were getting built, IMO.

Does the plan for this development include ground-floor retail? If so, that would be cool. I'll bet that not many health-related centers in the USA include retail in the design. Anyone have details?? :whistling:

There is ground floor food/retail in the project but it will not front the sidewalk. Do to the sloping site there will be a plaza level where vehicles enter from Michigan Street. The retail will be at that level. If you go to the GR Development Briefs Topic you can see the plan for the plaza level.

Well, I know one Health Care Center that is including retail as apart of their development, and it's in your backyard. :P

Metro Healthcare Village