Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

In other news, I went to Farmstead's La Laiterie and, while I'll post a longer review later, it's a winner. The atmosphere is great and really teleports you away from the Square, the cheese/wine/beer parings are unbeatable, and the food was very high quality. Prices were good as well. A real winner.

- Garris

I went last night to La Laiterie - it was as good a meal as any I've had in town. Fresh pea soup, great salad with melted camebert, bay scallops from their own source in Connecticut and a killer lemon marscapone cheescake. Everything was very fresh and local (Matt is a big part of the 'Slow Foods' movement). You can spend a bit for a full meal - but it would be great for local beer and cheese as well at the bar.

My five-minute walk just got better.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'll have to try the buffet but, at about a $5 premium over Taste of India's very good buffet, it'll have to blow me away. Does any know if Bombay Club still does a weekend morning buffet?

You are paying for the setting, definitely. Look for the $10 off coupon, it negates the price difference to Taste of India ! And somedays I'd pay any amount of money to sit outside and have a meal...plus they have Hoegaarden on tap, in nice tall glasses.

I don't remember this being mentioned before, but the old Joseph's restuarant on Waterman Ave in East Providence is being converted into another Spain's. It's located right across the street from Sax's Steak.

This is fantastic news. I love Spain, and I'm already at the corner where Sax's is far too often for the buffalo fingers :whistling: .

BTW, in the "I-can't-believe-how-dense-I-was-in-not-connecting-the-dots" writing my pre-review above of Izzy's, I can't believe I didn't figure out the following on my own...

1) Lots of Jewish specialties in the store (including Challah on Fridays)...

2) There's a prominent (and excellent) Kosher Caterer in the area named Izzy's...

The new Izzy's Market Cafe on Elmsgrove is Kosher! I needed the local Jewish newspaper to point this out to me. Thankfully, as I pointed out in my review, on its own it's also excellent. Nathan, who I met there, is apparently the son of the founder of Izzy's Catering. Of course, just because it's Kosher doesn't mean it's for Jews only. I'm Jewish and, without any outward notice of its being Kosher the day I was there, I didn't figure it out (I wondered if it was, but with meat and dairy both there on premises, I doubted it, but as I just read, that's because their Kosher kitchens are off site). There's a great article in there in the local Jewish Voice and Herald about it from this month's edition.

The full article about it is here:

[url=http://www.jfri.org/content_display.html?ArticleID=185019]Izzy’s Kosher Caf

- The Subway sandwich franchise in Wayland Square has closed, yet another turnover as the S.Angell retail area continues to suffer a bit. I've never seen a Subway close anywhere ever...

either have i... although i do know a few subways that should close. i don't think they ever will. i was once in a subway in new york (the sandwich shop, not the train). walked in smelled pot. heard this bubbling noise right before someone came out of the back room... this is a true story. they also did a poor job at making the sandwiches... i think it was on 8th st or nearby. it was by NYU (across from johnny rockets maybe?).

BTW, in the "I-can't-believe-how-dense-I-was-in-not-connecting-the-dots" writing my pre-review above of Izzy's, I can't believe I didn't figure out the following on my own...

1) Lots of Jewish specialties in the store (including Challah on Fridays)...

2) There's a prominent (and excellent) Kosher Caterer in the area named Izzy's...

The new Izzy's Market Cafe on Elmsgrove is Kosher!

It's good enough for all East Siders to support, but hopefully the Jewish Community should come out in droves to support this, the only Kosher eating establishment in the city...

As a jewish west sider, I'll make the trip over there. I am not as kosher as I once was, but I like to support these places as they are so rare.

When I first read your post on this place, I wondered if they were kosher, their hours also kinda tipped me off.

Thanks for the info!

I've never seen a Subway close anywhere ever...

There was a Subway on Federal Hill for about 3 weeks and the Subway behind City Hall recently closed. Also, years ago, the Subway on Main Street in Hyannis (the main commercial hub of the Cape) closed, and that was right across the street from Town Hall, and a main bank HQ (Box Lunch beat Subway back in this case).

Subway doesn't do much to help it's fanchisees compete. It just wants it's name out there, it would allow competing franchisees across the street from each other if anyone was stupid enough to try that.

There was a Subway on Federal Hill for about 3 weeks and the Subway behind City Hall recently closed. Also, years ago, the Subway on Main Street in Hyannis (the main commercial hub of the Cape) closed, and that was right across the street from Town Hall, and a main bank HQ (Box Lunch beat Subway back in this case).

Subway doesn't do much to help it's fanchisees compete. It just wants it's name out there, it would allow competing franchisees across the street from each other if anyone was stupid enough to try that.

I think that's part of their plan. They allow their shops to run fairly independently outside of the rules regarding the look and the food. I had once applied for a job on their helpdesk for their POS software. I learned that they have a preferred vendor for hardware, but it's just that, preferred. Shops can get the hardware wherever they want. I think they can even use other POS software if wanted. Obviously they won't get much help from the Subway helpdesk in that case, but that's the risk you take not going with the supported software/hardware.

It should be up to the franchisee to be sure to keep the shop clean and neat and attracting customers (and to not be stupid enough to open one across the street from another).

So according to ProMo, Bela Vista is re-opening with a new name, wait for it...

Waterplace!

So we'll have Waterplace Park, Waterplace Condos, and Waterplace Restaurant.

Meet me at Waterplace. :unsure:

I'll probably be going here soon this week. I'll give a report. I can't understand why restaurants seem to have trouble soaring in what is probably the best restaurant location in the city...

- Garris

I'll probably be going here soon this week. I'll give a report. I can't understand why restaurants seem to have trouble soaring in what is probably the best restaurant location in the city...

Well, because most residents are suburban, there is no parking, and even waiting for the valet can be harrowing because you basically have to block traffic. Plus, it is kind of out of sight out of mind except during Waterfire or other park events.

I can't understand why restaurants seem to have trouble soaring in what is probably the best restaurant location in the city...

It's kind of a weird space. The way you enter from Finance Way then decend into the bowels of the building. When I went, there was no one to great you at the top, we cautiously made our way downstairs, where there was no one to greet us and we sort of shouted 'hello.' Part of that is poor customer service, but it is also just the odd layout of the space.

Once inside the space is cavernous, but the bar area is weirdly crowded, they have all this space, but the bar is crowded and under a really low ceiling, weird.

I'd like to see the balcony up on Finance Way become some sort of three seasons space, maybe a seperate lighter fair restaurant, so there is activity and greeters at the street level.

my mother and my fiancee's mother are coming up to check out the biltmore with us (and hopefully set a date and put a deposit on it) for our wedding. we're probably going to have a late lunch/early dinner with them. can anyone recommend a place, probably downtown-ish (but not necessarily downtown) that's not expensive, but still pretty good? most likely, we'll end up at cassarino's (one of my favorites), but i'd like to try something new.

...we're probably going to have a late lunch/early dinner with them. can anyone recommend a place, probably downtown-ish (but not necessarily downtown) that's not expensive, but still pretty good?

I'd recommend:

Gracies: Probably more than you want to spend...

3 Steeple Street: solid all around, and doesn't break the bank...

Waterplace: I just went tonight and will post more later, but outdoor dining there is worth it...

Bravo:

- Garris

In other news, I went to Farmstead's La Laiterie and, while I'll post a longer review later, it's a winner. The atmosphere is great and really teleports you away from the Square, the cheese/wine/beer parings are unbeatable, and the food was very high quality. Prices were good as well. A real winner.

I'm curious to read your review. My wife and I walked by the place on Saturday night and it was packed. I checked out the menu and looked great. I saw that they have beer from "The Shed" in Stowe, VT. A place I go to each summer while on vacation. We plan on going there this weekend.

took the mom's and fiancee to bravo on saturday. i was very impressed. the food was excellent (i got a croque madame, which is a fancy ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top). the sandwich was huge, the bread was really good, the fries were awesome. and to top it all off, the waitress was super nice and friendly. and the prices weren't too bad either.

i definitely have to go back because there's other stuff on the menu i want to try. :D

I cannot stop eating that, I have a serious problem, I need an intervention.

i felt 10 pounds heavier after eating 3/4 of it... i wanted to finish it, but my body just would not let me.

next on my list is the lobster club and then the burger with brie and carmelized onions.

I'm looking for something rather authentic.

I used to go to Lemi's and it was nothing spectacular, but much better than other places I have tried. Lucky Garden is also pretty good, but it's way up in North Providence and I don't really like how it's in a strip-mall.

Are there any other good Chinese restaurants in the area?

I used to go to Lemi's and it was nothing spectacular, but much better than other places I have tried. Lucky Garden is also pretty good, but it's way up in North Providence and I don't really like how it's in a strip-mall.

Ah, I was just about to post about this on Chowhound. There's no way to avoid the strip mall experience with the departure of Lemi's, unfortunately, but here's the best of the RI Chinese scene:

- Lucky Garden: On Smith Street in North Providence, it's my current favorite. Best dim sum in RI. Very authentic, especially the specials. Yup, it's far up in North Providence (for the West Enders/Smith Hillers, it's pretty close to them), but it's worth the trip.

- Red Ginger: In a strip plaza in Johnston, you could be forgiven for thinking it's yet another Americanized place. The location, decor, and menu all scream "Americanized." And they do Americanized cuisine very well in fact, as well as my current Americanized favorite China Inn in Pawtucket (now that Little Chopsticks in Smith Hill is gone :().

Ask for the Chinese menu and convince them that, yes, even though you may not be Chinese, you will enjoy that congee dish, and you'll have found some nicely authentic cuisine. Some Chinese students at Brown Med tipped me off to this place, and it's great. I think they may deliver to much of Providence as well (I believe the med students said that they order it delivered).

If you ask for their takeout menu, note that their authentic takeout menu is on a separate photocopied sheet you'll need to request separately.

- Iron Wok: Located in Seekonk in the strip plaza across from the Target/Best Buy/Kohl's/TJMaxx uber-big-box complex, this one was a surprise. I saw the add in a local newspaper with the tag line of something like "Not like your regular Chinese restaurant..." and decided to check it out. I had a brief conversation there with the owner chef about the Chinese food scene and he rapidly summarized it, "Now that Lemi's closed, the only authentic is really Lucky Garden and Red Ginger. My place is like Red Ginger." He showed me his Chinese menu, but basically put it down and said, "I'll make anything you want. I do all my own sauces and everything from scratch." I ordered cumin beef for myself and drunken chicken for my sister, and they both very good. My cumin beef, one of my favorite dishes, was a bit more hot than flavorful, but I ordered it on the hot side and they gave it to me 100%. Definitely worth supporting. They've been there for about a year now.

And that's about it. I know some like Phoenix Dragon on Broadway, but I've had two meals there now and haven't been blown away by either. Frankly, I think our best Chinese places hold up well against the Boston places, but we just don't have that many of them (three in an entire metro of 800,000 people!).

None of our places have any ambiance or style, though. I think there's got to be a market for stylish, authenic, funky Chinese in Providence. Downtown perhaps?

- Garris

I don't think you'll find anything "authentic" (i.e. decor, ambience) in a Chinese restaurant in Prov. The closest one around is the Mon Koo in S. Attleboro, on Rt. 1. It's about a half-mile over the RI border as you head north on Rt. 1.

Archived