How is Jacksonville Florida's Largest City?

gjoseph

How is Jacksonville Florida's Largest City? I mean it has no suburbs and the city is pretty much all of Duval County. Look at other Major Cities, Miami has suburbs, Tampa has suburbs, and Orlando has suburbs. In my opinion I think they should redesign Jacksonville because it isn't fair in the Major city list it has no Diversity, not really a good culture I think Jacksonville should be reconsidered as a Medium sized city or not even a major city!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No suburbs? I'd list them but I feel that would be a pointless use of time as will possibly be the remainder of this post.

Kid, how old are you? Where are you?

No diversity? Are you telling me there is no difference between Ponte Vedra and Yulee?

If you are questioning it's culture then I must question your judgement of culture.

Oh yeh well have you realized that when Jacksonville had the super bowl people said it sucked there! Saying not much entertainment, very bad transportation, etc. Miami and Tampa have had much better super bowls than Jacksonville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Brickell stated it succinctly: Jacksonville has more people in it's administrative borders than any other city in Florida.

Jacksonville just hosted it's first ever SB in the smallest market to host one and Miami metro has 5 times the population and has hosted them several times before.

Also, every SB gets badmouthed. Every. Single. One of them.

You can't base Jacksonvilles' city status on a few sports writers desire for controvercial ratings, kid.

Oh yeh well have you realized that when Jacksonville had the super bowl people said it sucked there! Saying not much entertainment, very bad transportation, etc. Miami and Tampa have had much better super bowls than Jacksonville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't base an opinion off of super bowl review writers. I've seen just as many negative articles written about Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa and Houston when they hosted their super bowls. I'm sure Detroit will recieve a lot of negative press as well.

Btw, I attended many super bowl festivities in Tampa and Jax. I'll say both bascially had the same type of atmosphere. You get a game that size, fill a city with thousands of crazy football fans and provide alcohol and you got one massive party.

^I've never heard anyone bad mouth the Super Bowl in Jax last year. Meanwhile, why is Jax Florida's largest city, some people will point to its consolidation measure from the 60s. What the community did was smart, they voted to not double tax themselves realizing they had one major city in one county. Why not sieze the opportunity to save money for your people, and go into the future unified?

ALl SB host cities are ripped every year from ATL, Miami, Tampa, Houston, etc.

New Orleans gets a lot of love as host city but has been criticized as well.

Detroit will be ripped more than Jax.

Some uniformed people speak things as if they were facts and spread what thye dont know.

Many "uniformed" South Florida residents think anything north of Orlando (Jax, Gainesville, Tally, etc) is Mississippi or Alabama. Not true.

BTW, I'm not speaking of all S.FL residents but the "uniformed" ones.

Yes, it is obvious that the reason that Jax is the "biggest" city in florida is because of the fact that the city and county are consolidated. A true measure of how big a city is can be detirmined by using MSA. Im pretty sure that when you do this, all of South Florida, Tampa and Orlando are all bigger than Jax.

Yes, it is obvious that the reason that Jax is the "biggest" city in florida is because of the fact that the city and county are consolidated. A true measure of how big a city is can be detirmined by using MSA. Im pretty sure that when you do this, all of South Florida, Tampa and Orlando are all bigger than Jax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you need a MSA to measure how big a city truly is... the whole point of measuring and comparing the population of individual cities is to see how they stand seperate from any metro.

How is Jacksonville Florida's Largest City? I mean it has no suburbs and the city is pretty much all of Duval County. Look at other Major Cities, Miami has suburbs, Tampa has suburbs, and Orlando has suburbs. In my opinion I think they should redesign Jacksonville because it isn't fair in the Major city list it has no Diversity, not really a good culture I think Jacksonville should be reconsidered as a Medium sized city or not even a major city!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I could take the time to denounce your claims, but Jacksonville has nothing to prove.. if you've been there, you would realize your claims are false.

^I've never heard anyone bad mouth the Super Bowl in Jax last year. Meanwhile, why is Jax Florida's largest city, some people will point to its consolidation measure from the 60s. What the community did was smart, they voted to not double tax themselves realizing they had one major city in one county. Why not sieze the opportunity to save money for your people, and go into the future unified?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taurean, you are exactly right. Jax consolidated and by doing so, growth there has been unprecedented. I've always felt that county government is more for counties that are rural...because many issues involve more land and less people, the county should make decisions and solve issues. However, if you have a large city in the county, it makes far more sense for city government to be in control. Usually what happens in a large city affects the county, anyway.

As far as gjoseph questioning Jax's size, I have to admit that is a bit juvenile. Northern sports writers did slam Jax in their editorials as they prepared for the trip to the Super Bowl. One ESPN writer, and I can't remember his name, even had the gaul to say he couldn't tell the difference between Tuscaloosa and Jax. Incredible idiocy for media who claim to be "well-traveled" throughout the country and the world. :rolleyes: Usually this stems from people in the media who believe that New York is the center of the universe, and these pompous attitudes provide the fuel for the editorial slamming that Jax took. You shouldn't base your opinion on any city from a media-clone who has to be controversial to boost the numbers of readers in the respective paper.

Many other people said their visit to Jacksonville was great, and some companies have already been talking with city officials to locate their HQ in the city. The city's quality of life has a very high rating, and the city is becoming a newly-discovered Florida gem. Sheesh, I keep wanting to move there before it gets too big! ;)

new york IS the center of the universe, but jax is nice too.

(i lived on long island when super bowl was going on and all i heard was negative about the city - but sports writers? come on, who listens to them about anything)

We had one of the biggest haters on Jax in the sports writing community sit in a discussion on a sports radio show whereby he was trapped into admitting he had never once stepped foot in Jacksonville.

Dozens of others had admitted it had been decades since they'd been there and all there claims, such as the paper mill making the air foul, had been remedied years many ago yet they didn't know and continued to preach it as gospel.

Several sports writers even apologized after the SB admitting they had very bad information on the city that was severaly outdated or just completely incorrect data to start.

i have only driven through jax on 10 and 95. the city looks like it could be the most gritty in fla. not that that's a bad thing. i think that makes it seem the most real, and not developed mainly by tourists. the narrow swath that i did see seems quite amazing. it looks to have so much potential. 20 miles (?) from the coast, new shiney skyscrapers downtown, beautiful st. johns river. much potential. in my opinion, look out miami, orlando and tampa, give jax 20 years and we'll see.

You're correct about the tourism factor. Many, many decades ago it was a national destination but then people realized Florida kept going south for another 350 miles.

I think in 20 years what we'll see is a state that has several high quality cities which few states can flaunt. Texas and California being the only two that come to mind.

Well Jax is some 40 miles long and 25 miles wide,I am talking about CITY LIMITS....so to see Jax of 95 is nothing,you need to drive 65 miles per hour for 40 or so minutes to go thru Jax.

I worked job which took me in every part of Jax and many people don't know how big it is,you have from northwest village looking area,to hitroric Riverside,old North and West,modern Southside,Downtown,beaches,Mandarin etc etc...filled with thousands of streets...Jacksonvile has what few other Florida cites do...from typical frlodia beach look,to modern florida sotuhside, to old new york looking historic riverside and springfield to chickago looking areas of downtown..only thing missing is more dense downtown with night life which will come soon.

I actually like living in place with so many different parts.

I did a paper once on the topographical and geological diversity of the city. You are correct in it's diversity and it's not just man made construction either.

Pine forests on the west side, swamps on the south side, marsh to the north and tropics on the north and south east coastal areas. There are even some sizable hills in Arlington.

As for the urbanity (is that a word?), I do recall that part of the better Jacksonville Plan was to resurface over 3,000 miles of roads and that doesn't even come close to covering half of them.

Archived