Birmingham Picture of the Day

tedo420

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Indeed! I've always been amazed that this street hasn't been more of a focus for an entertainment district. It has that tourist draw feel to it.

They ran us punks (yes a punk as a teen) out when we were teenagers and had a club down there called Dr. Jekylls in the mid 80's.

-Turbo

There was some back in the 1970's, but the district fell through due to 1 or 2 violent crimes that occurred nearby. However, if the Theatre District comes to fruition, the area redevelopment may spill over to the Morris Ave area. In additon, Morris Avenue is the closest area to the Railroad Reserve Park, so the likelihood of this area being coming a vibrant nightlife area is very much a possibility more than any other area in the City Center.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just moved into the sheraton apartments on highland avenue. here's a fairly crappy pic of the sunrise a couple of days back, looking beyond rushton park and toward the airport:

1381036734_6f99299b3b_o.png

they don't wash the outside of their windows very often, and on the ninth floor, i'm not about to try it...so all my out-the-window pics are splotchy from the grime.

Edited by convulso

Does anyone know "the 1st St. cut?" Well, the street is undergoing change with new street lamps along with some buildings that looks as if they have been redone. It is a really great looking area at night time, so if anyone gets the chance venture over there one night to see for yourself.

Agreeing with the person that posted the pic, it would be nice if "the cut" was filled with water and creating a sort of Venetian theme on the street. This could be a street filled with shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc., and the "canal" could be have a couple of gondolas for people to just ride in them or for couples on a date. I can see a married couple just cruising from one end of the canal to the other after dinner at one of the restaurants. But now that I think about it, the canal just might not be deep enough for a gondola also it isn't long enought for it to be a decent cruise, but I think water between the lanes would still be a nice touch to sprucing up the street and area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dystopos/19817083/

Edited by bhamsly

Does anyone know "the 1st St. cut?" Well, the street is undergoing change with new street lamps along with some buildings that looks as if they have been redone. It is a really great looking area at night time, so if anyone gets the chance venture over there one night to see for yourself.

Agreeing with the person that posted the pic, it would be nice if "the cut" was filled with water and creating a sort of Venetian theme on the street. This could be a street filled with shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc., and the "canal" could be have a couple of gondolas for people to just ride in them or for couples on a date. I can see a married couple just cruising from one end of the canal to the other after dinner at one of the restaurants. But now that I think about it, the canal just might not be deep enough for a gondola also it isn't long enought for it to be a decent cruise, but I think water between the lanes would still be a nice touch to sprucing up the street and area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dystopos/19817083/

• 2 weeks later...

here's the leer tower, taken from the richard arrington bridge:

1471800512_8eee6aebfb_o.png

i'm putting this in the south photo of the day thread too, but what the heck - the southtrust tower (what? is it something else now???):

1470836211_971e08613e_o.png

hell, i should have just started a thread - st. paul's catholic church on 3rd avenue north:

1470836859_cb1359cf0b_o.png

Edited by convulso

• 1 month later...