Monroe Avenue Hotel?

theSuburbs

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Monroe Avenue Hotel is the Blue Bridge Ventures development that was shot down by the City of Grand Rapids. The plan was to build a 23/24 story hotel on the site of the currenty Grand Rapids City Hall, with a large banquet/conference hall on the site of the Kent County building. There was to be a shopping arcade and the ugly stone wall facing Monroe was to be opend as retail. It's my understanding that this project is pretty much dead. Does anyone else know anything different?

Here's some past talk and images of this project:City Hall Hypotheticals

The project, as proposed by Blue Bridge, is pretty much dead. It's a shame, because, from my prospective at least, it was good physical planning -- it is an example of what needs to be done to support and sell the convention center and more downtown residential. It is only a matter of time, however, before something else happens at Calder Plaza. As the existing buildings become obsolete, the land is too valuable to not be redeveloped.

Here's some past talk and images of this project:City Hall Hypotheticals

The project, as proposed by Blue Bridge, is pretty much dead.  It's a shame, because, from my prospective at least, it was good physical planning -- it is an example of what needs to be done to support and sell the convention center and more downtown residential.  It is only a matter of time, however, before something else happens at Calder Plaza.  As the existing buildings become obsolete, the land is too valuable to not be redeveloped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

becomes obsolete? :P

Theres definately something going to happen at that sopt, I give it 3 years before we hear a plan, and a new building at that spot by 2012.

Archived