Ugliest building in Minneapolis?

MrSmith

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm putting my money on the Best Western Normandy Inn.  What's it trying to look like, a run down german building.  The design was not meant for this city.  I think we should raze the whole block and put something up that doesn't make you ask "why?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drive by it everyday and do not even notice it. Sad. I remember back in the late 80's /early 90's, when they were building office towers, there was a propsed 65 story building for that block. Not sure what happened with that...

I drive by it everyday and do not even notice it.  Sad.  I remember back in the late 80's /early 90's, when they were building office towers, there was a propsed 65 story building for that block.  Not sure what happened with that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the way, not that its necessarily ugly, but the Federal Building, looking from the river, sort of looks like R2D2...seriously.

• 2 months later...

I'm probably in a minority, but I like the Grant Park tower. I like seeing a tall building in our town that is not all relfective glass. The Carlyle and Niccollet will help in that respect as well. Do I think the multi-foods (what is it now 33 south 6th?) is bland? Sure. Are the riverside apartments are old and grimy looking? Of course, but I've always thought a city need those kinds of buildings too. If every building was some amazing sculpture with amazing lighting and sweeping spires, arches and who-knows-what, none of them would stick out. I think all the buildings are important - if nothing else, just to add density. For that reason as well, I don't like the idea of us tearing down anything and rebuilding when we have acres and acres of parking lots that need to be filled in.

Having said all that - I do hate that block E building. It always looks like something straight out of Roger Rabbit.

• 3 months later...

Archived